Rune Factory Developer Declares Bankruptcy

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
Rune Factory Developer Declares Bankruptcy

Neverland Co., the developer behind the Rune Factory franchise, has closed its doors and will begin bankruptcy proceedings soon.

Last year, shortly after the release of Rune Factory 4, Yoshifumi Hashimoto, the game's producer, announced that Rune Factory 5 had already been given the green light. Unfortunately, it's starting to look like another Rune Factory sequel just isn't in the cards.

Yesterday, Neverland Co., the developer behind the Rune Factory franchise, announced that it would be shuttering its windows. According to the Neverland website [http://www.n-land.co.jp/], the developer was having a difficult time finding its footing in the evolving videogame market and will begin bankruptcy proceedings soon.

This is a depressing surprise for fans of the Harvest Moon franchise. When Rune Factory was released in 2006, JRPG fans quickly endorsed the Harvest Moon spin-off. In fact, many players will probably tell you that Rune Factory is the superior series.

Sadly, bankruptcy is a common problem for videogame developers, even if their games are popular. Neverland Co. has churned out six Rune Factory titles since 2006, and the latest iteration, Rune Factory 4, was among the most successful. But Neverland has been around since 1993, and a lot has changed since the Super Nintendo was everyone's favorite console.

Hopefully, Rune Factory (and all of Neverland's other IPs) won't simply fade away, but I'm certainly not crossing my fingers.

Source: Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2012/08/08/yeah-marvelous-aql-will-make-rune-factory-5/]

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
Damn that really sucks, 4 was probably the best Rune factory hand-held game to. I guess something was up when they kept failing the nintendo approval process to get released. I guess many niche titles won't be lasting much longer in the new DLC season pass generation.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Damm, that sucks for the fans of this particular developer.

Eve Charm said:
I guess many niche titles won't be lasting much longer in the new DLC season pass generation.
True, that's why I'm betting heavily on various Kickstarter projects for my niche needs.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I'm genuinely saddened by this news.

Like really sad. Rune Factory is buckets of fun.

Guess I should go get 4 now while the gettin's good.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
That's too bad. I would have loved to play Rune Factory on my vita (I remember controls being pretty shit in DS).

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
The only one I played, was the Tides of Destiny one released on PS3.

It sucked.

So while I will say I feel for the individuals actually (possibly) losing their job, I couldn't care less for the franchise.

Protocol95

May 19, 2010
It's always sad to hear a studio closing down and one which, from what I hear, makes an innocent and upbeat franchise like this even more so. Here's hoping that Rune Factory and its creators find a new and stable future.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Such a shame, I feel they were really nailing things down with their latest Rune Factory. I've played the heck out of it on my 3DS. Wonderfully done. I was excited to see where they took it from here. :\

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Damnit. I guess now I need to pick up RF4 ASAP before it goes up to $100 used. Sucks to see the people behind such a unique franchise get the short end of the stick like this.

SonofaJohannes

Apr 18, 2011
I found this article: http://www.siliconera.com/2013/11/29/rune-factory-series-producer-shares-brief-message-future/
There might still be hope after all.

Euphbug

Mar 31, 2009
Well this is news I didn't want to wake up to. The wait for Rune Factory 4 was one of happy anticipation, and now it looks like there won't be another! Well, I think I will just have to enjoy the heck out of RF4 just a little bit more now, as it will be my last sampling of it for a long long while.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
That's rather sad to hear. I'm surprised they didn't make a desperation move and try to make another Lufia/Estopolis - One that continues the story, not a remake of the last several games.

Although, maybe the Lufia series will end up in Camelot's hands? Camelot certainly has made a spiritual successor to Lufia with the Golden Sun series...

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
http://www.court-records.net/animation4/apollo-sweats%28b%29.gif
Wait, didn't they also make the Harvest Moon games?
Shit...

coolbond

Mar 1, 2011
Objectable said:
http://www.court-records.net/animation4/apollo-sweats%28b%29.gif
Wait, didn't they also make the Harvest Moon games?
Shit...
no it is marvelous that do HM

slysean

Jul 16, 2012
Actually its six Rune factory games, 1-4 and then Frontier and tides of destiny. I liked the concept and I do hope that the artists, designers, programmers and everyone else involved finds employment soon. Perhaps while the rune factory franchise may be lost, the mechanics and design are open to be used for a new series, either to be used by those who buy the company or perhaps even kick starter. Either way, a shame.

Jan 27, 2011
Except that the company that owns the Harvest moon/Rune Factory rights (natsume, I believe) still holds the rights. There's no way they'd announce RF5 and not have seen their bankruptcy coming. Natsume's probably going to just hand over the series to another developer. Also, given how well RF4 apparently sold (for its genre, anyway), it's unlikely that RF4 will be the last in the series.

Yeah, I'm sad Neverland went under but I don't think this is the end of Rune Factory.
Arqus_Zed said:
The only one I played, was the Tides of Destiny one released on PS3.

It sucked.
RF4 was/is incredible though. I'm loving the hell out of it.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
anybody play 3 or 4? I played 3, and it wasn't shitty...4 also sounds cool

getting real tired of people slamming games they haven't actually played