Runic Games: Torchlight 3 Might Ship Before Diablo 3

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Hehe, it would not surprise me, but still awesome none the less! Great something to keep us busy~

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
dochmbi said:
Deathfish15 said:
That guy has some balls, but then he's right. Blizzard took 10 years to get out SC II, and people still were very critical of it (because it had such a crappy single player story). With Diablo III, I hope Blizzard hires some better writers. And, as for Torchlight, it's fun, but it's too....clicky (then again, Diablo is probably like that, I've never touched the thing).
Really, crappy singleplayer story? Where did you read that?
About every review of the game thus far. And, from personal experience. I won't put out spoilers, but the ending parts were foreseeable from the first 5 minutes of the game, and the rest was just cheesy rip-offs and corny story cliches.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Liquidcathedral said:
loadsamoneyz in da vidya gayme business.
Buccura said:
Umm... you know why Blizzard takes so long with their games right? Because they take the time to polish them and make them great products. I'm not saying Torchlight is bad by any means, I'm just saying if they actually rush it with the intent to get Torchlight THREE out before Diablo 3, I feel it can only hurt the product.
bro, they take so long because of wow, they need to constantly mantain that overgrown cow of a game and update the cow with the most up to date cow tchnology otherwise the ppl who drink the milk will be very mad.
Except Blizzard has two seperate teams working on WoW and Diablo III, so that argument doesn't hold water.

Anyway, I am not sure why Schaefer is emphasising that his development team is small, given that Blizzard also relies on smaller development teams. The StarCraft II team, for example, consists of about 40 people and I doubt the Diablo III team is any more numerous.

Onto the main topic, I don't understand why Schaefer thinks that Blizzard would want to recreate the first Torchlight to begin with. Diablo III has been substantially larger in size and scope ever since it's inception, so it's not like they were aiming for something like that.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
It'll be hard as hell for blizz to catch up Torchlight, I consider Torchlight much better and funnier than Diablo 2, although it doesn't have a story as good, it's just way funnier than the Diablos.

As amazing as a Torchlight 3 would be, I'm still waiting for the MMO to happen... that, or make Torchlight 2 & 3 amazingly HUGE and epic... and add a great multiplayer to them.

Although, Blizz is known to make amazing games, as long as they take to come out, they always blows up the water with their titles... I may end up waiting for Diablo 3 and the Torchlight MMO instead of the Torchlights 2 & 3.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Liquidcathedral said:
Tom Phoenix said:
Liquidcathedral said:
Buccura said:
Umm... you know why Blizzard takes so long with their games right? Because they take the time to polish them and make them great products. I'm not saying Torchlight is bad by any means, I'm just saying if they actually rush it with the intent to get Torchlight THREE out before Diablo 3, I feel it can only hurt the product.
bro, they take so long because of wow, they need to constantly mantain that overgrown cow of a game and update the cow with the most up to date cow tchnology otherwise the ppl who drink the milk will be very mad.
Except Blizzard has two seperate teams working on WoW and Diablo III, so that argument doesn't hold water.
derp. you say my argument is wrong and then prove it right. wtf is this, escapist bros? this made me rage even more than usual.

Wow doesn't require any mantinence that consumes a huge amount of time and effort, not at all. derprage

they spent all that time ''polishing'' starcraft 2 (12 years bro, that means starcraft 2 took longer to make than both ww1 and ww2 to stop - combined), the PERFECT RTS, of all time, of all time and i've heard the main campaign is pretty dumb ahe terrans are pretty op in multiplayer. RAGE
How exactly did I prove your argument right? There are seperate teams developing World of WarCraft and Diablo III. That means that the development of WoW content has no bearing on how fast or slow Diablo III is being developed, which goes against what you implied in your original post.

Also, StarCraft II's development didn't take 12 years. Infact, they only started laying the foundations for the game in 2003, after the release of the Frozen Throne expansion pack. Even then, however, proper development didn't really kick off until 2005.

As for the state of SC2's multiplayer. While there certainly are imbalances in the game currently, that was to be expected. Afterall, no matter how well you polish the game, the true balancing process only starts once you release the game to the public and they use this to try and break the game.

Either way, however, it is still a lot more balanced than it's predecessor was at this stage of it's life cycle. But just like the original StarCraft required patching to get the balance right, so will the sequel.

Buccura

Aug 13, 2009
Liquidcathedral said:
Buccura said:
I won't argue that WoW does slow down other Blizzard projects, but bare in mind Blizzard has always taken a long time with their games even before WoW. I still remember, "Diablo II coming in 1998!" then, "Diablo II, coming in 1999!!" and finally in 2000 we get Diablo II. And lets not forget Operation CWAL for StarCraft, no not the cheat code, the online group who was tired of waiting so long for the game.

Games take longer to make these days than ever. Think about how long it takes for the average first person shooter to get released these days, and I do mean average shooters.

Like I said though, I'm not disputing the fact that Blizzard still has a huge focus on WoW. Can't blame them though, I mean it's so incredibly profitable for them, why should they take away focus from it?

GoGo_Boy

May 12, 2010
oranger said:
Also, the guy doesn't seem bitter at all. not at ALL. surprising really, considering what happened to his old team.
Why the fuck would he have a reason to be bitter? He and half of Blizzard North left Blizzard, he didn't got fired or something. Though I'd sure as hell be bittered about making such a stupid decision if you refer to that...

And no thanks, I neither want Torchlight 1.2 nor Torchlight 1.3
As others said already. Quality >>>>>>>>>>> quantity. Oh and boy did Torchlight have a low quality. Lore, story, balance and many gameplay design choices left me with a lot to desire.
It's pretty pathetic to see them not doing anything new, that works, at all. They kept the shitty potion system, the shitty Portal system, the shitty mass useless item drop system and what did they add? A, duo to anyways broken balance, pointless Pet system. But yeah, at least the Pet helped a bit with the exaggerated high drop ratio of items ._.

Yeah the came is cheap, in price and experience.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Sad but true :(

I'll buy all the Torchlight games for sure for $20 its well worth the money

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Liquidcathedral said:
So wow and diablo have the same sized development teams and money put into them then?
Contrary to popular belief, merely throwing money/personnel at a given game won't necessarily speed development up. The very nature of WoW requires a much bigger team than Diablo does. If Blizzard moved its entire WoW development staff (not counting customer support, which makes up the bulk of the WoW payroll) onto Diablo III, it probably wouldn't speed things up by much if at all.

That said, I know Blizzard's art department is pretty fluid and works on all of their games, and they do rotate developers in and out of teams to get fresh perspectives.

syltman

Feb 12, 2009
Deathfish15 said:
dochmbi said:
Deathfish15 said:
That guy has some balls, but then he's right. Blizzard took 10 years to get out SC II, and people still were very critical of it (because it had such a crappy single player story). With Diablo III, I hope Blizzard hires some better writers. And, as for Torchlight, it's fun, but it's too....clicky (then again, Diablo is probably like that, I've never touched the thing).
Really, crappy singleplayer story? Where did you read that?
About every review of the game thus far. And, from personal experience. I won't put out spoilers, but the ending parts were foreseeable from the first 5 minutes of the game, and the rest was just cheesy rip-offs and corny story cliches.
You've failed to troll me