Runic Games: Torchlight 3 Might Ship Before Diablo 3

Racthoh

Feb 9, 2009
I don't see a problem with having something to play until Diablo III comes out.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Dude, Torchlight 4 will release before Diablo 3. This is fucking Blizzard. I won't probably be in school when the game's released.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
yeah I don't think that's an exaggeration at all. The very earliest I would expect to see Diablo 3 would be December 2011.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
IamQ said:
Dude, Torchlight 4 will release before Diablo 3. This is fucking Blizzard. I won't probably be in school when the game's released.
Well if your still in school now you probably weren't even in school when Diablo 2 was made, much less Diablo.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Liquidcathedral said:
John Funk said:
Liquidcathedral said:
So wow and diablo have the same sized development teams and money put into them then?
Contrary to popular belief, merely throwing money/personnel at a given game won't necessarily speed development up. The very nature of WoW requires a much bigger team than Diablo does. If Blizzard moved its entire WoW development staff (not counting customer support, which makes up the bulk of the WoW payroll) onto Diablo III, it probably wouldn't speed things up by much if at all.

That said, I know Blizzard's art department is pretty fluid and works on all of their games, and they do rotate developers in and out of teams to get fresh perspectives.

but having money is vital ,bro, and does help a game develop quicker(hiring more skilled staff to work for example).the other guy said blizzard has seperate teams working on different franchises and now your saying its like a crop rotation cycle(which goes back to my analogy of wow being a super cow). this is very confusing, bros.

all i said ,bros, was that starcraft 2 apparently took 12 years to make and someone said they take that long because they spend time polishing it and i said it was actually because of Wow consuming alot of resources and time, bros.
Blizzard has more money than it knows what to do with, split between all of its teams :p Money isn't a problem there.

Again, you can't just make a game go faster by throwing more skilled developers at it, because of how games are developed. Different teams need to finish different projects before others can start work, etc. You run into staggering diminishing returns.

Blizzard does have completely separate teams working on different games. I know of at least four - the WoW team, the D3 team, the RTS team, and the next-gen MMO team. Of course there's some inter-office collaboration and testing (like the WoW guys help test SC2, the D3 guys get in on Cataclysm, etc). The art team is probably the most fluid, and they will occasionally cycle guys out - if people get burned out working on WoW they may go over to Diablo and vice versa - but that's rarer.

You're not COMPLETELY wrong. StarCraft 2's development STARTED slow because Blizzard pulled a lot of the art team and a few other members to help get WoW out the door in the end of 2004, but that was at the beginning - by probably late 2005, the RTS team was whole again, and I'd be surprised if the WoW team ever snagged more than one or two of them at a time. From then, it was just Blizz being customarily glacial in its development.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
I think people whining about Diablo III's slow development are forgetting two things: first the fact that it was only really publicly announced 2008... and that Diablo II at its time was also notorious for taking ages to get released.

So far, there haven't been any delays since there hasn't been a concrete release date to begin with.

Fluse

Oct 26, 2009
Whats all this anger with how long it takes blizzard to release games? I personaly would MUCH rather have a well tested, balanced and polished gamed abit later, then it getting rushed out the dor bugs and all... maybe thats just me.

Also, Torchlight dosnt even begin to compare to Diablo 2! At best it is the most basic elements from diablo 2 copy pasted, upgeaded for better graphics and then sold at a low price.

Also, Liquidcathedral... Do you think you could work the word bro or bros into your sentences abit more often? wtf!

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Liquidcathedral said:
so you know exactly how much blizzard earns, how much is given to each of its employees and the bosses and how much is spent on each of the games, bro? i'm glad my escapist bros have you, jon, you know alot my bro.

by the time the 'next gen'(lol) mmo comes out, perhaps the 'war on terror' will be over and china will renounce it's evil, communist ways and become a democracy.

because blizz spends all of it's time polishing the game to perfection my bros, i heard it from john funky, two forumers and blizzard itself, bros, blizz never realeases an unpolished or unorginal game. ever. they always tell the truth my bros. don't doubt them or they'll sue according to that old guy on the escapist, bros.
Originality isn't Blizzard's schtick, Polish is. There IS a reason all their games have taken ages to release - before (and including) WoW, so you can't just blame it on that.

Also, quit the "bros" gimmick, or people might just start to think you're a troll. ;)

PissOffRoth

Jun 29, 2010
dochmbi said:
Really, crappy singleplayer story? Where did you read that?
Clearly from a hateful little troll of a person who just bashes all things popular. I thought the SC2 story was just fine. Not the best, but not bad by any means.

Although I do kind of hate Jim for ignoring his Protoss compatriot... Humans just always fuck up everything, don't they?

PissOffRoth

Jun 29, 2010
Eric the Orange said:
yeah I don't think that's an exaggeration at all. The very earliest I would expect to see Diablo 3 would be December 2011.
The sun is going to implode before we see Diablo 3.