Rush Limbaugh Sticks Up for Video Games

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
Sneaklemming said:
The Austin said:
Sneaklemming said:
The Austin said:
Liberal = More government, more censorship, but greater freedom of personal choice, such as gay marriage, pro-choice, etc.
Conservative = Less Government, but less freedom of personal choice, such as no gay marriage, no abortions.
I'm surprised you don't see the irony in this.
Who says I don't?

I said that both of the parties suck, didn't I?
Fair enough.
In all fairness, you have to admit, they both do suck don't they? :D

Jan 23, 2009
The Austin said:
Sneaklemming said:
The Austin said:
Sneaklemming said:
The Austin said:
Liberal = More government, more censorship, but greater freedom of personal choice, such as gay marriage, pro-choice, etc.
Conservative = Less Government, but less freedom of personal choice, such as no gay marriage, no abortions.
Who says I don't?

Fair enough.
Parties are molded by people - not the other way around.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
Sneaklemming said:
The Austin said:
Sneaklemming said:
The Austin said:
Sneaklemming said:
The Austin said:
Who says I don't?

Fair enough.
Parties are molded by people - not the other way around.
Ha ha! Right you are my friend!

Doitpow

Mar 18, 2009
MovieBob said:
*snip*

The "trick" to American politics is that because we're "behind" a lot of the civilized world in drawing a big thick line between "morality" and "policy" (i.e. one oughtn't have anything to do with the other) there are four "sides" to it (Politically/Economically-Conservative, Politically/Economically-Liberal, Socially-Traditional, Socially-Nontraditional) masquerading as only two ("Liberal" and "Conservative.") What's more, humans being human most people's actual "philosophy" doesn't fit neatly into ANY of them, because it boils down to "I'm for what helps me personally and against what doesn't." True master politicians (JFK, Reagan, Clinton, Obama at least as a campaigner) attain and hold power by convincing large groups that "what helps me" actually CAN be called one thing, and then BEING that one thing.
Nailed it as usual Bob, apart from the part where you say America is "behind". Theres just as much bipartisan shit slinging going on in Britain for sure, and more than its fair share in mainland Europe. I think the strange thing about American politics (by which I mean the politics of the USA), is the idea that there was one fundamentally original philosophy that the USA was founded upon, and the undermining of that philosophy is the no mans land over which said shit slinging is thrown into a sharper focus. The Irony of course being that political views being just as diverse then as they are now, a singular political and socially philosophy probably didn't exist then, just as it doesn't now. This coupled with the problem that many issues important in contemporary politics that simply didn't exist in the imaginary genesis of American politics, mean either side can appropriate this middle ground for almost anything.

Interesting to see Irrational games (or anyone for that matter) take these concepts as the founding ideas for their dystopias: the competition model for Bioshock or American Exceptionalism for Infinity. How rarely do you get a dystopia these days based around something you find familiar, even comforting? I'd like to see a dystopian (dystopic?) game based around the media.

Keep it up man. Love your more political comment.

Del-Toro

Aug 6, 2008
Sneaklemming said:
Im confused - so is it the liberals in america that are trying to bad games, or the conservatives?
Both sides have them, sometimes their reasons overlap, sometimes they don't. Conservatives (like myself, although I don't fall into this specific category) tend to get a tad skittish over the sexual content in some games, maybe the violence, but not to the same degree. Liberals tend to hate on the violence, the sexual content isn't such an issue with them, plus any kind of perceived racism tends to get the left more riled (think the RE5 controversy). It might also be an anti-industry thing with the liberals. I don't know, you'd have to ask their anti game crusaders, but as a conservative I'm obligated to say that.

saphiren

Full diving
Jul 8, 2009
Bolo The Great said:
Sir John the Net Knight said:
Bolo The Great said:
I think he's made the right decision (he even implied videogames were art!) but i think maybe for the wrong reasons. The cynical part of me thinks it's more of a stick to beat the democrats with than a commitment to videogames as such but we should take free allies like this as we can get them.

Censorship is one of the things i think thr right has right and we should try and publicise this issue ammougst anyone who has any kind of free-speech interests. You can say what you like about Limbaugh but at least he IS commited to the 1st amendment and i don't see any other public media figure, i mean this is perfect Daily Show fodder for christs sake!, defending videogames in the slightest. So i have to give him credit where it is due.

The Republican party would do well to stake a calim to free speech as a core value becuase at the moment all they seem to be doing is frankly crazy antics and weird rhetoric. They need to take a leaf out of the UK conservative's book and try and re-brand themselves as more of a 'smart power' party rather than a 'fucking crazy' party.
Is the right reason always the Democrat/Liberal/Obama reason? Do you even know that the new wave of conservatives coming into Washington are Constitutionalists? Do you know that most conservatives hate the Westboro Baptist Church? Have you considered the possibility that Hollywood might be a major player in this bill as it might remove the gaming industry as competition? Are you aware that it's mostly liberals that are in the anti-free speech arenas now? Do you ever think for yourself instead of letting Jon Stewart think for you?

Seriously, we have close to 400 comments on this in a separate thread. There are actually people who put their support of the medium in question because Limbaugh defended it, and are still bluntly in denial that this law was authored by a highly liberal democrat. I am dumbfounded by the amount of people on this site who refuse to research this issue and simply allow liberal propaganda to guide their viewpoints.

I would not begin to question anyone's decision to defend free speech regardless of their political party. But in all honesty, do you really expect that the liberal media would stand up for us? I saw a clip from Blizzcon on "The Soup" on E! earlier today. And the entire point of that clip was to make people like us look like retarded troglodytes who've never come in contact with women. Hey aren't a lot of the people here women? I could have sworn they were. But yeah, they still lump us in with the stereotypical pocket protectors, taped glasses, stupid hair...actually this is what the liberals think we are...

[/quote][/spoiler]

Are you aware im british and could give a fuck? Your pathological repetition of "Liberals" makes you should like one of those hitler sign carrying tea-party crazies. [i]"The liberals want to kill Grandma! The Liberals! The liberals! The Liberals!!!!!!!!"[/i][/quote]

Are you aware that I'm one of those "tea-party crazies"? And I hate to break it to you, but at all the rallies I've been to, I have never once seen someone carrying a Hitler sign or wearing a Hitler shirt? Of course, maybe they were just in the wash. I don't know where you get the idea that we're fans of Hitler, seeing as we're only trying to get the government to obey the document that tells them what they are and ARE NOT allowed to do, and so far as I know, Hitler wanted his government and ONLY his government to be what told everyone how to be his bitches. Anyway, YOUR pathological repetition of "hitler sign carrying tea-party crazies" just tells me that a) You're a twelve year old American kid living somewhere in liberal New Jersey (in which case, I could find you and show you exactly how a tea partier looks like, aka American, patriotic, and actually CARING about the rules the founders of his country made in order to PREVENT the government from controlling the people ["deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed"]) who doesn't know shit about how to love his country, or b) you actually ARE british (which apparently you are, according to your profile) and like poking your nose into other countries' politics without a clue of what's actually going on or how to fix it, who watches too much MSNBC or CNN or BBC (I guess, if they report at all on America) and thinks that all that you see on the news networks is all you need to know to understand everything going on. Your age doesn't matter because no matter what you hear over in England, you're still hearing things through the filter of the media. Therefore, a few sites you might be interested in: http://newsbusters.org/ , http://patriotpost.us/ , http://mises.org/

Hopefully, you can be arsed into reading those, I think you'll find them informative. And no, I don't watch FOX News, so go shove that ad hominem attack down the toilet. I barely even watch TV.

-flameshield and trollshield, online!-