Rush Limbaugh Sticks Up for Video Games

Autofaux

Aug 31, 2009
And the soccer moms and swing voters of America are halted for a second, confused as to whether they should listen to their favourite xenophobe or the liberal Senator who speaks their language..

Guilen-

Mar 14, 2009
Uh... Rush Limbaugh... why do I feel like this is some kind of... warning... lol

jaing1138

May 25, 2010
So this whole case is based off the whinings of whinging sexless mothers who are too stupid to look at the age ratings that are clearly shown on the boxes against big corporate entities that probably generate a lot of money for the u.s government via tax and whatnot...? yeah i think this is the one time where what would seem a real unfair fact of life will work in our favour. The only reason this has gone as far as it has is because arnie jumped on the bandwagon, though i think the defence will rip him apart if he makes any appearences predator, terminator, total recall . Common sence will prevail as always its never reached this far before but every other time we've beaten them before and if we beat them at the u.s supreme court we can beat them pretty much anywhere and will give us a very good example to use in future cases and if they find in favour of us it should to my understanding pretty much legitimise video games as an art. Personally I'm not worried and I think good times for the industry are on their way.

Edit: "We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore.

We will be united in our common interests.

Perhaps its fate that today is the 2nd of November, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom, not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution -- but from annihilation.

We're fighting for our right to live, to exist.

And should we win the day, the 2nd of November will no longer be known as an average day, but as the day when the world of gamers declared in one voice:

"We will not go quietly into the night!

We will not vanish without a fight!

We're going to live on!

We're going to survive!"

Today, we celebrate our Independence Day!"

Parnage

Apr 13, 2010
Left? Right? Who cares what side is on what. What I care about is freedom of speech. So does Rush. That's something we can get behind and have common ground. I mean really having actually listened to him he does make good points on a lot of issues.

No one R,D or Other has the right to regulate something the industry is already doing. I think we can call agree on that.

aPod

Jan 14, 2010
Sir John the Net Knight said:
Bolo The Great said:
I think he's made the right decision (he even implied videogames were art!) but i think maybe for the wrong reasons. The cynical part of me thinks it's more of a stick to beat the democrats with than a commitment to videogames as such but we should take free allies like this as we can get them.

Censorship is one of the things i think thr right has right and we should try and publicise this issue ammougst anyone who has any kind of free-speech interests. You can say what you like about Limbaugh but at least he IS commited to the 1st amendment and i don't see any other public media figure, i mean this is perfect Daily Show fodder for christs sake!, defending videogames in the slightest. So i have to give him credit where it is due.

The Republican party would do well to stake a calim to free speech as a core value becuase at the moment all they seem to be doing is frankly crazy antics and weird rhetoric. They need to take a leaf out of the UK conservative's book and try and re-brand themselves as more of a 'smart power' party rather than a 'fucking crazy' party.
Is the right reason always the Democrat/Liberal/Obama reason? Do you even know that the new wave of conservatives coming into Washington are Constitutionalists? Do you know that most conservatives hate the Westboro Baptist Church? Have you considered the possibility that Hollywood might be a major player in this bill as it might remove the gaming industry as competition? Are you aware that it's mostly liberals that are in the anti-free speech arenas now? Do you ever think for yourself instead of letting Jon Stewart think for you?

Seriously, we have close to 400 comments on this in a separate thread. There are actually people who put their support of the medium in question because Limbaugh defended it, and are still bluntly in denial that this law was authored by a highly liberal democrat. I am dumbfounded by the amount of people on this site who refuse to research this issue and simply allow liberal propaganda to guide their viewpoints.

I would not begin to question anyone's decision to defend free speech regardless of their political party. But in all honesty, do you really expect that the liberal media would stand up for us? I saw a clip from Blizzcon on "The Soup" on E! earlier today. And the entire point of that clip was to make people like us look like retarded troglodytes who've never come in contact with women. Hey aren't a lot of the people here women? I could have sworn they were. But yeah, they still lump us in with the stereotypical pocket protectors, taped glasses, stupid hair...actually this is what the liberals think we are...

[/quote]

Thank you, thank you, thank you... I am so happy that somebody much more intelligent than I said this before I got a chance to say it in a disorganized and confusing manner.

Unfortunately, it's not hip to be conservative round her' and any conservative figure is automatically judged as idiotic, pompous and unwanted. Sigh... sigh... sigh.

Everyone should defend their constitutional rights, especially the first amendment. Above that everybody should learn what their constitutional rights are... there is an astonishingly large number of americans who don't. Anyways John nice point.

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
hmmm dunno how to feel about this
well i never really didn't like him personally so
Go RUSH Go

bigo2mags

Apr 7, 2008
subject_87 said:
Hmm... I'd be willing to form an uneasy alliance with Mr. Limbaugh if he's on our side for this. Really, who'da thought that Rush Limbaugh of all people would support us?
/r/ a Smash Bros. 'New Challenger' poster with Rush Limbaugh's silhouette -- kthxbai

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
This is the first time Limbaugh has said something that hasn't made me want to smash my head against a table. This is weird.

cptawesome

Nov 2, 2009
I've never been a huge fan of Limbaugh, but when I heard what he was saying about games and the 1st amendment in general, people slowly backed away from me as I fist-pumped violently enough to dent steel. As a junior junior junior broadcaster and journalist and gamer, I'm anxiously awaiting the November 2nd decision.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Wholly unexpected but duly appreciated. When a right wing man can get behind this issue for the industry, there is hope for our country yet!

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Shihoudani said:
As for Rush not being a viable voice in media, having the most listened to news radio program doesn't make you viable? Hmm, seems kind of odd. You may not follow his political views but the man is very viable to a large audience of people.
As someone that likes perspective, I've listened to him (even watched some of his tv show back in the day) and I'm not sure you can consider that news. Would you call the Daily Show news? He's like a right wing version of that, just without the funny writers. But if you do consider them news, Stewart and Colbert have come out at the defense of video games many times too.

I will say however that it is good to see there is at least one thing we're all in agreement on. It only took over 15 years to find it.

When it comes to censorship there are more than enough dbags on the left and the right trying to ruin everyone's fun that I don't think it is a politically tainted issue.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Interesting, but his position - or, rather, a broader context for why he may have arrived at said position - becomes much less surprising when you read the actual transcript: http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_102910/content/01125113.guest.html

Basically, he asks the caller how old they are, and when they say "21" Rush really gets into it. Sez Limbaugh: "Get on board, my buddy. If it's taken a video game to get you interested and have the light go off, to have you see what liberalism is all about, I'm glad to have you on our side, 'cause I agree with you." He goes on to "welcome" the caller to Conservatism, though the caller corrects him that they've been such all along.

So, at least in a sense, Limbaugh's interest in the matter (no, I'm not questioning his technical sincerity) is more that it's a good issue with which to win converts to The Movement. For a "liberal" version of this, see: my own state's Senator, John Kerry (remember him?), claiming to be "fascinated" by the "poetry" of hip-hop. Sure he is.

If this were a debate, as opposed to a friendly call with someone who's (apparently) already a fan, a logical followup would've been to ask him (Rush) his more specific opinion on, say, the Rapelay controversy, or games that openly espoused anti-right-wing messages ("Bioshock," essentially a tragedy about the practical failings of Objectivism) or "pagan" religious/moral messages. I imagine he'd ultimately arrive at the same conclusion, but a lot less "gleefully" and with more qualifiers and "yeah buts" - because he knows that's where he'd "lose" other big chunks of his listenership; which is overwhelmingly socially conservative (re: "The Religious Right") as well as economically so.

The "trick" to American politics is that because we're "behind" a lot of the civilized world in drawing a big thick line between "morality" and "policy" (i.e. one oughtn't have anything to do with the other) there are four "sides" to it (Politically/Economically-Conservative, Politically/Economically-Liberal, Socially-Traditional, Socially-Nontraditional) masquerading as only two ("Liberal" and "Conservative.") What's more, humans being human most people's actual "philosophy" doesn't fit neatly into ANY of them, because it boils down to "I'm for what helps me personally and against what doesn't." True master politicians (JFK, Reagan, Clinton, Obama at least as a campaigner) attain and hold power by convincing large groups that "what helps me" actually CAN be called one thing, and then BEING that one thing.

Marmooset

Mar 29, 2010
Endocrom said:
Well it's nice to know we have someone with a lot of listeners on our side.

as for the whole "Liberal Conservative" argument going on here, lets see what Bob has to say:
(3:00 if you want to skip right to it)
Interesting that this guy would use the term "condescending" to us in the indicated section...

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
"War makes strange bedfellows." It gets truer and truer as time goes on, and I appreciate the support.

I just want you to know Mr. Limbaugh... This changes nothing. You and your protege Mr. Beck can both go jump in a lake after this fight is over. At least now I know you know how to properly support a cause. You'll never be O'Reilly, get over it.

Zero=Interrupt

Nov 9, 2009
Sneaklemming said:
Im confused - so is it the liberals in america that are trying to bad games, or the conservatives?
It's the nanny-state liberals; the same people that think government has a right to regulate every facet of your life and tax 90% of your income to do it.

Whichi

Sep 13, 2010
Covarr said:
I don't get it. Limbaugh has been unusually rational these past few months, somewhat out of character.
That was the first thing I was thinking when I read the title... usually Limbaugh squaks some nonsense that makes Bill O'Riley seem sane when he does little more than pick out his enemies and chant "NO SPIN ZONE! NO SPIN ZONE!" like its some kind of game show.

WaywardHaymaker said:
To quote Lewis Black, I don't wanna owe one to Rush Limbaugh.
I know you don't want to owe one to him (believe me, I don't either), but if you have to, I think we shoud just be glad we still our video games unrestricted. Although I still think we should have a restriction on letting 12 year olds play MW2

Zero=Interrupt said:
Sneaklemming said:
Im confused - so is it the liberals in america that are trying to bad games, or the conservatives?
It's the nanny-state liberals; the same people that think government has a right to regulate every facet of your life and tax 90% of your income to do it.
Wasn't there a Democrat that told the press that the government can do whatever they want to their people? This was way back when we were trying to fight Obama's "brilliant" Health Care reform. the whole room was filed with boos and hisses.