Russ Pitts' Five Favorites 2010

MirrorSweep

Apr 17, 2009
Was RDRD really that good? o_O Keep seeing it getting awards left and right and I find it kind of hard to believe, the premise seems kind of..uninteresting and stale.

Flamma Man

Jul 23, 2009
mindlesspuppet said:
"Splinter Cell pretty much invented stealth shooting"... really? wow.
I'm with this guy.

I mean really?

And you thought that Crackdown 2 was better than Mass Effect 2 or God of War 3? I mean, I know there's opinion, but...

Lucifer dern

Jun 11, 2010
cant say thats anything close to what I would have gone with... Intresting opinions on each!
I hated RDR it bored me to death
Mafia 2 was pretty good
Fallout was just a bit muh, I mean I got the feeling from the start that they just didnt bother :/ I mean common, the same hairstyles!
each to their own I guess :p

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
mindlesspuppet said:
Exactly, Splinter Cell neither invented stealth nor was it ever the best at it.

Spoon E11 said:
Good vid but, could you take out the tags which mention the games, they are spoilers.
Totally agree, the video was spoiled by the tags.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Why are there 2 threads? Here's my post from the other thread:

mindlesspuppet said:
Exactly, Splinter Cell neither invented stealth nor was it ever the best at it.

Spoon E11 said:
Good vid but, could you take out the tags which mention the games, they are spoilers.
Totally agree, the video was spoiled by the tags.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Wait what? "Civilization 5 presents the top 5 games by the editors?" That's a pretty odd sponsorship. A 2010 game funding a 2010 best games' list? can't see where THAT could go wrong?

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
Stamaris said:
Holy spelling errors, Batman! Good list, but darn near unreadable due to lack of proofreading.
My mistake. An uncorrected version of the article got pasted in by mistake. It's been fixed now.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
um.... wow you really love buggy games
I guess it fits because you have all the emotion of a robot running Windows ME

my favorite part was when all five of those games were either a sequel or an expansion pack
in your defenses I don't think any non-sequel games came out this year
unless you count blatant copies of other games
but you opted to put a DLC attachment in the number one spot
so you're saying that Undead Nightmare is better than the whole of Red Dead Redemption, which I might remind you includes Undead Nightmare..... wait... hold on... I actually agree with that
but you still have to buy the RDR disk to play Undead Nightmare so it's moot

but the thing about this that scared me the most is that you are looking forward to more sequels and copies
can't you just be happy playing Crackdown 2 and Splinter Cell: Conviction again and giving the game industry a chance to grow?

...um, did I just say all that to the Editor-in-Chief of the Escapist?
Crap.
Oh well, I stand by what I said

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
this top 5 list proves that he's human and has distinct tastes, unlike sites like IGN or Spike.

my top 5?
5: Crackdown 2
4: Dead Rising 2
3: Red Dead Redemption
2: Rock Band 3
1: Mass Effect 2

i dont care that our lists are different, im just glad he wasnt going to pander to the escapist and put a bunch of "narrative, story-driven games" if he really didn't like them as much.

me, i love my story driven games, but sometimes... i just wanna let loose and blow some shit up, which is why i would have Crackdown 2 and Dead Rising 2 on the list

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Steve Butts said:
Stamaris said:
Holy spelling errors, Batman! Good list, but darn near unreadable due to lack of proofreading.
My mistake. An uncorrected version of the article got pasted in by mistake. It's been fixed now.
I hear the editorial team is chipping in to buy me Typing of the Dead for Xmas.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I would love to call it a good list. I would love to call it a GREAT list. But the sad truth is I haven't played a single one of these games. I only just got my first PS3 a pair of weeks ago and I'm spending my time with it doing some catching up: Brutal Legend, GTA4, Fallout 3... none of the new games just yet.

Retardinator

Nov 2, 2009
I just realized that Mafia 2 is the only game I've spent more time hyping for myself, than remembering after finishing it. If it weren't for this top 5, it would have been forgotten altogether, like it deserves.

And SC:Conviction? No way. Not only was it too short, but it was also very linear and unpolished.
Or to simply copy-paste a few snippets, since it highlights some of my thoughts while I actually played the game:
Me: Why does everyone slap on a black and white filter?
Friend: ?
Me: When you're in shadows it turns monochrome, as in black and white.
Friend: Oh yeah, that isn't the most fun.
Me: It's annoying, I cant see shit. Same as Saboteur.
Friend: whats the point of playing a game in black and white?
Me: Well, it's a nice indicator and doesn't take up the HUD.
Me: But it's a goddamn stealth game and I'm supposed to be in shadows the WHOLE TIME.
Friend: They found out the fun interrogating thing and now they milk that shit out.
Friend: Every mission has that.
Me: Interrogate x about y.
Friend: And you're always in a little square where you can't choose your way of torture, only the order in which you beat them up.
Friend: And the story is gay, DAUGHTER IS DEAD NO, KILL RAGE!!
Friend: DAUGHTER LIVES NOOO WTF AM I STILL RAGING ABOUT!?!!!
Me: It's sorta retarded, though... The mark and execute.
Friend: Yeah, it's too simple.
Me: But it's OK because aiming's fucked up too. And the only weapon I ever needed was the pistol.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
You like shooters, huh.

Can't say I agree with that list at all, except for SC: Conviction. Great kick in the pants that the franchise needed, now I hope the next game is deeper.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Good list, but, just to be a language usage pest, if your penultimate game was not your top choice, then you're using penultimate wrong. Just saying. All the same, props for using the under-appreciated word.

Bandrik

Dec 9, 2010
I tried going to the link shown at the end of the video (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/content/fivefavorites/2010.php), but it's saying 404 Error: File Not Found. Just wanted to report this. I realize I may just be jumping the gun before it's up, but...

By the way, nice video. I can respect those choices. :D

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
BehattedWanderer said:
Good list, but, just to be a language usage pest, if your penultimate game was not your top choice, then you're using penultimate wrong. Just saying. All the same, props for using the under-appreciated word.
Penultimate is second to last in a list.
Ultimate would be top choice, no?