Russ Pitts' Five Favorites 2010

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Did Crackdown 2 sell enough units to warrant a sequel? I thought it kind of flopped.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
I mostly would argue against SC:C. I bought it awhile back on PC and I've played it until the mission where you infiltrate Echelon 5 or what the number is.

I really, really loathe that game with a fiery passion. Having been a SC fan since the first game was released I was bummed by Double Agent. I've bought it on 3 different systems in hopes that it could be a good game. It's not. But hell, it's miles better than Conviction.

Conviction feels so damn shallow. And the story is completely melodramatic with all the daughter deal/alive teasing.
I found the controls to be horrible, frankly and the mark and execute totally ruined it for me. No longer do I have the option to actually be stealthy. Just kill everybody. I really think making it a cover based shooter was the wrong way to go.

In fact, after playing Conviction I had to go to Steam and buy the first game and Chaos Theory just to wash off the feeling of being dirty. And I already have those games standing right in front of me on my disc, both bought on release.

In short: I really don't understand why you like it. :)

Mafia 2 is sweet though!

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Russ Pitts said:
BehattedWanderer said:
Russ Pitts said:
BehattedWanderer said:
Good list, but, just to be a language usage pest, if your penultimate game was not your top choice, then you're using penultimate wrong. Just saying. All the same, props for using the under-appreciated word.
Look it up:

penultimate: adj., 1. next to last. [http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/penultimate?show=0&t=1292454460]

Also, don't word nerd the EIC unless you're right.
I was called out on this just before, and again I shall apologize. I was quite erroneously informed by a teacher at my university that penultimate was the superior case, not the successive case. I stand mortified and embarrassed at myself, and am quite irked at the aforementioned teacher for giving me erroneous information.
You're a stand-up guy for owning up to your mistake. Way to be, sir.

As for what your teacher taught you, welcome to one of life's cruelest lessons: Teachers do not know everything. I should know. I used to teach!

Lesson number two here is: Before you presume to correct someone, make certain of your facts.
For fairness, yes, but I might admit to a mild fondness of having people enlighten me in ways I might be incorrect. For in years of study and reading, I've learned quite a lot, and can't question all of it. But in being corrected, I am instantly satisfied in that I seek out the exact answer, to the betterment of both parties involved. Again, my mistake for calling you out on it, but thanks for re-educating me at the same time.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
BehattedWanderer said:
Baneat said:
BehattedWanderer said:
Good list, but, just to be a language usage pest, if your penultimate game was not your top choice, then you're using penultimate wrong. Just saying. All the same, props for using the under-appreciated word.
Penultimate is second to last in a list.
Ultimate would be top choice, no?
Well, this is embarrassing. It appears I was lied to by a teacher who had instructed us that it was superior to, not secondary to.
Man.. talk about embarassing, after calling Russ Pitt out on it XD

However it's serious derailment from the thread, just try not to be overconfident lest this happens again.

ScottyMuser

Dec 17, 2010
hmm, no offence intended Russ but apart from starcraft 2 that is possibly the worst "top 5 list" I could imagine. Crackdonwn for instance was an ok game, worth of a 8/10. Crackdown not only doesn't offer *any* improvements to the original, it is actually *worse* in many respects then the proginal, whilst the genre, through the like of InFamous and red Faction Guierilla, has taken leaps forward.

For me the top 5 is radically, radically different for this, and comprises of
Assassins Creed Brotherhood
Minecraft (mainly as I haven't played ME2 yet)
Starcraft 2
God of War 3
Heavy Rain
with honourable mentions of RDR, Yakuza 3, SMG2, GT5, F:NV (but only just honourable mention). Of course, if we counted (as I am from the UK) games that came out in our location rather then US this year, Demon's Souls would be right up there, what a stunning game

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
It's interesting, at first I was disappointed by Fallout New Vegas, perhaps coming so soon off of Fallout 3 for me. (Just finished the GOTY edition of 3 a few months before)But I couldn't quite figure out what it was specifically that was really bothering me about New Vegas so I kept going. Once I got to New Vegas I was seriously thinking about quitting.

Then I caught up with Benny and shit got real. I haven't finished the game yet, but since then I've had a blast with it. The people and options in it really came alive for me as much as those from the previous game. It's definitely in my Top 5 for the year now.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
silasbufu said:
mindlesspuppet said:
"Splinter Cell pretty much invented stealth shooting"... really? wow.
Which one did? I'm not sarcastic, just curious.
You know I put quotation marks there for a reason? It's something Russ said in the video (0:43), and it's an absolutely ridiculous statement.

Alon Shechter

Apr 8, 2010
Mine's.... Well, the only game I liked this year was BO and RDR, RDR UN.
Still pissed off about your freakin' spoiler review, Russ.

silasbufu

Aug 5, 2009
mindlesspuppet said:
silasbufu said:
mindlesspuppet said:
"Splinter Cell pretty much invented stealth shooting"... really? wow.
Which one did? I'm not sarcastic, just curious.
You know I put quotation marks there for a reason? It's something Russ said in the video (0:43), and it's an absolutely ridiculous statement.
That's fascinating what you just said. I got that the first time by the way. I was seriously asking what game invented stealth shooting.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
silasbufu said:
That's fascinating what you just said. I got that the first time by the way. I was seriously asking what game invented stealth shooting.
Misinterpreted your post, my bad.

Pretty easy answer though, Thief or MGS invented modern stealth games. Even Hitman came out long before Splinter Cell. Hell, you could even toss Deus Ex into the mix depending how you played it.

AMMO Kid

Jan 2, 2009
Haven't played Mafia 2, but I really like this list. Consider yourself liked My. Pitts! (I'll just forget that DR2 isn't on here)