Russian Media Suggests Modern Warfare 2 Trained Terrorists

JochemDude

Nov 23, 2010
If they trained on Modern Warfare 2, then they most be like the worst terrorist to have ever lived :|

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Amnestic said:
Russian Medis Suggests Modern Warfare 2 Trained Terrorists Jumps The Shark.

Simply embarassing what kind of codswallop consistently continues to cruise through into people's TVs.
All Europeans are INSANE....

Incidentally can I blame the British if there's an offensive nuclear missile launch because 'they' made 'Defcon: Everybody Dies'?

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
SpiderJerusalem said:
It's only as dumb as the person playing it wants it to be.

To me, it was pretty much a continuation of Michael Bay, Jerry Bruckheimer and John McTiernan films of the highest order. Consider the beginning of The Rock, with soldiers taking hostages in an American landmark, or any Die Hard movie (specifically part 2) where terrorists hold the lives of innocent passengers and civilians in their hands and in the worst cases do their worst to make sure the heroes are aware of the stakes.
With the not insignificant difference that Die Hard 2 didn't open with John McClaine blowing up an airliner. MW2 puts you, the player... the hero, if you like... behind the gun, and it feels like a cop out that the ending of the level means you, the character, doesn't have to live with the consquences of your actions.

No American
(This may be my favourite misnaming ever!)

...was, as an opener to a clearly cinematic game, an eye opener as far as the stakes were involved. It wasn't pretty, it wasn't fun because it wasn't MEANT TO BE. The story needed a crime heinous enough to build a potential war on, an off-hand comment about something happening in some town wouldn't have been enough for people to actually care about what was happening - unless they were there in the first place with an attitude of "this is dumb, herp derp."
I've never quite been able to put my finger on why I find that level so distasteful. God knows I've played, and enjoyed, other more violent games - e.g. Postal 2, Saints Row 2, any number of GTAs. Possibly because the mayhem is an integral part of those games, whereas No Russian could be pulled - quite literally, given the skip option - and nothing would be lost. It feels cynical. Very cynical.

Which pretty much brings me back to my original point. Activision/Infinity Ward knew what they were doing when they threw that level in, so noone, least of all them, should act surprised if they get flack for it, justified or otherwise. If you wallow in shit you're going to attract flies.

Also, considering that Red Dawn is considered a classic 80's actioner, your example is silly to say the least.
Red Dawn is, as you say, a cult classic, but that doesn't stop it being stupid, though it is an awesome example of 'better dead than red' paranoia.

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
Why bother? Tons of media have been over this, WE ALL KNOW WE DON'T CARE ABOUT STUFF LIKE THIS, SO WHY DO YOU GET OUTRAGED ABOUT IT EVERY TIME

That said, yes it is bullshit but you people are acting like entire russia is thinking like this...

Frosty676

Apr 7, 2010
Read their disclaimer, Russia Today is not government funded. I have never even heard of Russia today and I live in Russia. Sounds more like a tabloid.
No idea who Walid Fares is too.

RabbiiFrystofsk

Oct 10, 2010
I must applaud the person who made the thread about them blaming MW2 for this.
I honestly did not believe they'd have the integrity to actually go ahead and acuse the game of fueling terrorist activity.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Soon we'll hear that 9/11 was the caused by terrorists seeing the cover for Die Hard on the NES.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
SpiderJerusalem said:
The character followed in the scene IS NOT the hero, he's an undercover agent (similar to the sequence in the first Modern Warfare that follows the soon to be executed prisoner), who's forced into a horrible situation while trying to stop even worse things from happening.

And you don't even have to pull the trigger once. Not a single time if you don't want to in the airport sequence. Which makes the scene even more chilling - being a person trying to do good and ending up losing your humanity in the process. It's something that's been explored in many, many undercover stories throughout the years.
Except it isn't explored. Hold back and shoot noone or go nuts and kill 'em all - doesn't matter, because the bullet in the head at the end of the level kind of precludes further character development.

I can't help but laugh at the thought of you accepting something as juvenile and pointless as Saints Row and Postal 2 as fine, but then having a hissy fit over a scene in an action game about terrorism that at least tries to bring context and a why to the senselessness of that kind of violence in the first place.
I assure you this isn't a 'hissy fit.' I'm just observing that whilst almost everyone in this thread is coming out with the standard defence of video-games-do-not-cause-real-life-violence, when the point I'm trying to make is that MW2 set out to be controversial so why act surprised or defensive when it comes back on them?

I'll cheerfully defend video gaming against censorship, or media hysteria, or attempts to exert greater control over what can and can't be depicted, but I'm just saying, defending No Russian isn't something that can be done from the moral high ground.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
As soon as heard about the bombing in russia I just knew that eventually someone would try to tie it to MW2. I have no proof of me calling it, but I did call it.

It's just so stupid. How the hell is pushing a few buttons on a controller = planting explosives in an airport? Hell, the show Burn Notice teaches more about explosives than any game I've seen so why not point the blame at that show?

(note: not saying to blame Burn Notice, because it's not, just using it as an example of the absurdity of blaming something when there are many more things that are a lot easier to point fingers at)

Tomster595

Aug 1, 2009
It's so easily rebutted. They say that the game could have been used to help plan or practice an attack. The obvious argument is you can't plan an attack in the game. Every time you play that one level, you take the same linear path. And as for the practicing part CoD is horrendously unrealistic (though not unfun). It would not help train somebody in the use of weapons at all. I realize my argument will not change anything really, just putting it out there =P

Apr 29, 2010
The fact the "No Russian" level in MW2 was mentioned is not surprising at all. But, regardless of that, the act itself is just a tragedy.

Ivan Dobsky

Dec 22, 2010
Err.. guys, maybe i'm just as blind as Walid Phares, but where's claims about "game used to train terrorist" in the article at RT?
http://rt.com/news/modern-warfare-execution-airport/
All i see is quotes of abovementioned man, who's not even russian let alone official. Talk about lazy journalism.
p.s. Also, russians don't read Russia Today.