Russian Media Suggests Modern Warfare 2 Trained Terrorists

Evil Alpaca

May 22, 2010
Since the Russian media is so quick to point to a video game as the problem then Call of Duty will have the answer. Airport security will now have cursors to point at people. If the cursor turns red then they will know they are looking at terrorists.

Also can you imagine if terrorists did use CoD as a training module. Half of the trainees would be dead by the end of the week due to the rampant team killing.

M12G

Jan 13, 2011
Really? As far as contreversy goes, the No Russian level was weak. And as for training these suicide bombers, would it really have made a difference wether or not they had played it? It's suicide bombing, not rocket science! Strap a bomb to your torso, walk into a crowded area, explode, and don't repeat.

Whispering Death

May 24, 2009
I think this makes sense. I mean, it explains why so many 16-year-old XBOX and PC Gamers blow themselves up in American airports all the time!

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
SpiderJerusalem said:
Sixcess said:
Activision's response should be interesting.

"We at Activision wholeheartedly deny that MW2 could be used to train terrorists. MW2 is intended purely for entertainment, because massacring dozens of unarmed, screaming civilians is... um... fun..."

It's a silly story, but that doesn't mean Activision don't deserve to take flack for that cheap, stupid, sensationalist level.
Oh please, had that been the start of a movie it would have been lauded as "harrowing, brave and edgy" Just because it's a part of a game it's suddenly thought as cheap and sensationalist.
No, it's thought of as cheap and sensationalist because it is cheap and sensationalist. I don't believe for a second that that sequence had any purpose behind it other than to stir up controversy and publicity.

MW2 is a dumb ass shooter and if it was a movie it would be Red Dawn, not Saving Private Ryan.

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
That's what games do. They simulate real life things.

Anyone dedicated enough can learn a thing or two about the principals behind how a weapon works by playing games. It still doesn't prepare you for actually firing the damned thing.

Let's just stop creating games all together. We wouldn't want anyone using Cooking Mama to learn how to wield a spatula with deadly precision, now would we?

Revista sin valor

Dec 5, 2009
Whispering Death said:
I think this makes sense. I mean, it explains why so many 16-year-old XBOX and PC Gamers blow themselves up in American airports all the time!
Don't you mean 13 year olds? ;P

felixader

Feb 24, 2008
Sixcess said:
Activision's response should be interesting.

"We at Activision wholeheartedly deny that MW2 could be used to train terrorists. MW2 is intended purely for entertainment, because massacring dozens of unarmed, screaming civilians is... um... fun..."

It's a silly story, but that doesn't mean Activision don't deserve to take flack for that cheap, stupid, sensationalist level.
Stop reading my mind! ^_^ :p

Sad thing is that Activison did not only damage itself with this shit.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
:/ saw that one coming. Because playing COD is just like planting explosives in real life! Just hold X!!!

Murderiser

Jun 14, 2010
Ah Russia Today. The old Kremlin propaganda machine is working again I see. I occasionally visit the RT website just to laugh at all the party-line bullshit they shovel out.
Hooray for having politically neutral News channels in the UK! :D

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
Modern Warfare 2 is realistic enough to train terrorists?

Were the terrorists all circle-strafing and acting surprised when their bullet wounds don't regenerate after thirty seconds?

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Pff, I wish.

I can't shoot a pistol without it smacking my shoulder off. ANd I played through the entire single player campaign. ON NORMAL.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'm sure that Islamic radicals love to play videogames... Eventhough their ideology strictly forbids them to have any kind of fun.

Well, Poetin and Medvedev have to put the blame on something so that they can continue to look cewl and badass on TV.

jdun

Aug 5, 2008
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Therumancer said:
However, tactics in realistic videogames, like, say, Modern Warfare 2, ArmA II, or America's Freakin' Army, are very similar to those used in real life, and can be used as training tools. It's perfectly plausible that these guys trained on a videogame, whether it was a mod for ArmA or America's Army, or they used the off the shelf mission from MW2. Legitimate militaries do it, why not terrorist groups?
That's incorrect.

You're wrong if you think those tactics in MW2 translate to real life. People should not confused fantasy with reality.