Russian Media Suggests Modern Warfare 2 Trained Terrorists

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
Terrorist1: I'm bored. We need to blow something up. Kill civilians.

Terrorist2: A shopping mall?

Terrorist1: No, that would be too easy.

Terrorist2: Well, I'm out of ideas.

Terrorist3: Dude, I just finished playing the first level of the freaking awesome game called Call of Duty and the first level is terrorists killing civilians at a Russian airport!"

Terrorist1: HOLY %^$@# YES.

Kriptonite

Jul 3, 2009
You know, I myself could not shoot a gun straight just weeks ago. After spending these weeks playi...erm, training on Call of Duty, a video game I can now pick someone off at 100yds with a pistol. What other amazing things can video games teach us? Surely to bomb 'The Motherland' no? I did learn how to perform surgery with Trauma Center :) Well, I'm off to do a triple bypass, wish me luck.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I thought the only way the terrorists got into the airport so armed was because they were actually connected with the (corrupt) government...
so what exactly is the media trying to say here again? hahaha

I'd like to see the terrorists try to jump that cliff with snowmobile

Guybythestreet

May 31, 2009
Terrorists would have to have super regeneration and limitless stamina before they could recreate and modern warfare stunts.

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
I can make up BS too! Watch:

You know what's another common thread among all these terrorists and criminals? Breathing and eating. Clearly those two activities are inextricably linked to such horrendous acts, and should be treated with the utmost suspicion and distaste.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
SpiderJerusalem said:
So you didn't defend either Saints Row or Postal
Not in this thread, no, because this thread isn't about SR2 or Postal 2.

then, and won't in the future when they're dragged through the mud inevitably for their content (of which at least Saints Row features numerous occasions of gleeful civilian violence, at one point also taking place at an airport). Double standards then?
I have defended Postal 2 in other discussions in this forum, on the grounds that it's satire, and SR2 is too cartoonishly OTT to take seriously. MW2 on the other hand takes itself terribly seriously.

Anyway, you're pretty much missing my point. My point is not that MW2 is bad/evil/corrupting/a terrorist training simulator/whatever. My point is that No Russian set out to court controversy, so let's not act all surprised when controversy comes knocking.

Slavadil

Dec 16, 2010
This is absolutely ridiculous!

To blame a video game from 2 years ago for a terrorist attack is insane. There were terrorist attacks in Russia before MW came out, how do you account for that?
when People need a scapegoat, video games are a favorite; whether it's MW2 or GTA or whatever.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
You know they do have a point. I mean, I'm fully qualified to fight off a race of sentient starships hiding in dark space who are coming to harvest all organic life in our galaxy. I'm also pretty capable of pulling off some other amazing feats, such as:
- Survive in a nuclear wasteland filled with horrendously mutated creatures and fascist organizations armed with laser weapons.
- Fight my way across the American South through throngs of hyper-aggressive infected people.
- Lead a resistance movement on Mars against a brutal military police regime.
- Gather an army of metalheads to fight against a BDSM-obsessed demon and his army of "undead".
- Guide an entire civilization from the stone age up until the modern era.
- Play awesome guitar solos.
- Make my way through a land filled with fantastical creatures capable of great power, where I capture a team of them and train them to defeat other similar people I meet on the way.
- Craft my own species and guide it even farther through time, from the protozoic slime pool into the galactic stage.
- Place weaponized plants in strategic formations to help hold off a zombie horde.
- Be a god.

Yeah, video games made me pretty awesome.

I can see where they are making connections, but they're so vague its rediculous. Haven't they listen to certain critics of the Guitar Hero/Rock Band franchises: "You can't really be that cool in life by playing video games." Man they should check their sources.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
I knew this was going to happen.
A long time ago, they'd blame this same kind of stuff on either TV, Comics or Dungeons and Dragon. We're just going through the same things all new media have to face: criticism by people who fear what they don't know.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
SpiderJerusalem said:
So double standards it is.
Toss that at me as often as you like, it still won't stick.

Cartoonish or not, Saints Row and Postal BOTH have admitted to setting out to be controversy baiters and are filled with far more volatile stuff than a single mission that is related to the plot of Call of Duty can offer.
Sure, it's so integral to the plot that the game itself offers you the option to skip it.

Why?

Just because you have a liking for the other two games, doesn't create some kind of bubble around them that allows their content to go unchecked over ridiculous claims while another is under scrutiny.
Did I say that? At no point have I even said that the accusations being made against MW2 are anything other than ridiculous. what I'm saying, repeatedly, is that it's not remotely surprising that it gets targeted for this kind of thing, because it's an insanely high profile game that opens with cheap, bad taste shock tactics.

As for taking itself seriously, you might wanna check out other threads here were there are people claiming that Modern Warfare 2 itself is a parody.
Except it isn't.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Hiphophippo said:
this was inevitable. however one might question the use of explosives in the attack when mw2 clearly trained in firearm use.
Except that it didn't. I guarentee you that playing MW2 is useless training for actually firing an RPD. MW2 is point and click, with real firearms it takes skill just to aim a single shot weapon, and even more to control automatic recoil, not to mention taking care of the weapon so that it works properly and doesn't jam, and making sure you don't burn yourself on the barrel or spent brass. It takes a lot more to learn how to use a firearm that just playing MW2.

Jan 29, 2009
I think it is desperately needed to inform the major media outlets that, despite appearances, video games are still WAAAY too unrealistic to ever train a person for such an event.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
You have it right, Russian media. Blame a video game. Don't blame the most violent thing to ever come in contact with human beings: religion. Muslim extremists blow themselves up like its their job, and, well, it kind of is to them. Plus Russia had that whole thing with Georgia a few years back. I bet they still don't have a chip on their shoulder about that. No. It was all Infinity Wards fault.