RWBY has begun

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
I do like it.

The fight scene, well... it is the guy who animated Haloid, what did you expect?

I do think the other animation could use some work. The male mouth movement do not seem to effect the rest of their faces, and can be rather stiff.

It is clear that Red got far more work put into her model. The face is more expressive, she has all kinds of little movements that make it more believable. Besides the "stuff full cookies into her slightly to small mouth" bit, she is REALLY well animated. Red's character is really interesting and just loads of fun to watch, the voice actress is doing a very good job. However, everybody else is a bit flat. I would think Rooster Teeth could get better people to be the extras. I also wish he could find some way of cutting corners besides making unimportant people be blacked out.

I do wish yellows (red's sister with the blonde hair was yellow right?) had more attention put into her character rather than her jiggle physics. I also wish this isn't one of the many series that bullets exist only to either be blocked or miss their target. (Seriously, Red, why are you shooting at the woman when you could be firing at one of the aircraft's engines or rudders?)

Still, I am interested.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
V8 Ninja said:
...And it's a Hero Academy [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HeroAcademy] show.
NO! NOT A TVTROPES LINK! D:

*A giant black hole appears*

NO! I HAVE BETTER THINGS TO DO WITH MY TIME! I DON'T WANT TO GO IN! I DON'T WANT TO...

*Gets sucked in*

Ooh, I wonder what is considered a Super hero school. :3

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Hmm.

Can't say I didn't enjoy it, but it felt very weak.

-The voice-acting still needs a lot of work.
-The animation for the talky scenes is pretty bad (She eats cookies in one bite by barely opening her mouth? Dafug?)
-Another generic high-school story? *Graon*
-Some of the designs don't really match each other. The most obvious one was the buildings in the opening. They felt out extremely of place.

Other than that, it has potential. I really hope he can make it better as the series goes on.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
I'm decidedly "meh" on this at the moment. So "meh" in fact:

I'll keep an eye on it, but I'm not exactly enthralled by it either.

Captcha: roses are red
I see captcha is learning to state the obvious. How long until it gains full sentience again?

Andrew Myers

Oct 4, 2012
Well until we see them take math classes I don't feel it is fair to call Beacon Academy a High school. It is more like a College for people wanting to become monster hunters. It just so happens that Ruby skipped ahead, but most people appear to be in a 17-18 age range.

Black Reaper

Aug 19, 2011
Red has problems, how can she eat a whole bowl of cookies in 30 seconds?, and without even chewing?, she makes Hei look like an amateur

And i just can't take anything that constantly uses the word "Dust" seriously, i always picture the Dustloop
That made me think, with some imagination, this could be a Guilty Gear spin-off

The world was created by Sol Dustlooping everything until he ran out of things to Dustloop, and then he genetically engineered life(since he's a scientist) in his likeness, ergo the whole dust power thing
And the part when the narrator says something about hope dying is when Sol lost his Dustloop, and depending on how the story progresses, he will settle for the Sidewinder Loop(Awesome, Extremely satisfying, but hard to do), or the new Dustloop shown in the Xrd trailer
I interpret the Sidewinder loop as an Earn Your Happy Ending type of scenario, and i can't really interpret the new Dustloop since Xrd isn't out yet
If Sol gets his Dustloop back, but loses it at a later date, another kind of Dustloop could be created, since the humans were created by Dust or something, it could be a Dustloop in the sense that when there is no more Dust, the humans lose hope and die, but eventually Dust comes back and makes more humans, if the Dustloop kills the enemy, it could signify that the humans won, and if the Dustloop is interrupted it could be a downer ending

I should really go see a therapist

Splitzi

Apr 29, 2012
Not a big fan, it seems like RWBY is going to be another Strangerhood for me; a show everyone seems to love and I absolutely can't stand. I don't like the art style, the fight scenes, the dialogue, but most importantly the Monty-ness of the show. So, I'll be staying away from this one from now on.

crewreav

May 19, 2013
When I saw the trailer a while ago, I thought it looked like generic anime garbage.

I was wrong. It's a lot worse due to the bored voice actors.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
MoreThanANoob said:
SNIPPED
>Random thoughts
Am I the only one who thinks Torchwick's henchmen look a hell of a lot like Yahtzee? Seriously, the first time I saw them in the "Yellow" trailer I couldn't shake the resemblance.
SNIPPED
I thought Torchwick - is that the name of the guy with the orange hair? I couldn't be arsed to watch the entire episode - looked a lot like Alex from Clockwork Orange.

EDIT: I mean it's super obvious where they got the inspiration for him, even if they did anime it up.

OT: Yeeeeeeeah, not for me.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
erttheking said:
Bottom line, it has flaws, but it also has heart. And heart is what I care about.
This. I won't deny it was far from perfect, but God Damn if I don't have one hell of a soft spot for passion projects like this. I really believe you can tell the difference, regardless of budget and production values, between something that was made with real love and something that was made to commission and designed by committee; and I got that from RWBY, I got it by the bucket load.

Dizeazedkiller

Feb 11, 2011
The only good part is the action/fights. I like the creativity with how the weapons and abilities work, how they affect the environment etc. Some of the dialogue was okay to, but anything that was good was just your usual cliche anime stuff. I like Red and Yellow's voices but judging by the black trailer i think I'm going to hate Black and her friend's voices.

The animation is crap for anything but the action, some parts are done really lazily (when i say lazily i mean they've cut corners. I realise how hard they work just to bring it up to these standards).

Honestly i'd prefer 1 good quality 20 minute episode each year rather than these unpolished ones. Kind wish they'd kickstarted it to get enough cash to do it in anime style (but that DOES take a lot of time, money and effort).

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
It's really off putting for me because it really feels like I'm watching the cut scenes of some really average anime game and at any second I should be able to jump in and play...but that point never comes. I stopped being a fan of anime in highschool so I really don't seem myself looking into this past 1 or 2 episodes.

ThriKreen

May 26, 2006
Desert Punk said:
Second, the hands... they need a bit of work. When Red was picking up the cookies to eat it looked like an action figure hand just sliding over the cookies and moving them to a mouth. No one that I have ever seen picks up a cookie with straight fingers and using all of their fingers at the same time the way she did.
That's my criticism of all of Oum's work so far, the animation quality of every work I've seen of his is very sub-par to what I'm used to. There's no weight to them, they feel stiff, there's no anticipation or follow-through, just fast action then a cut. He takes a lot of shortcuts in the animation such as not animating hands or feet (or even having the wrists or ankles bend). Or just straight up not showing the limbs, hiding them out of frame. Weapon twirls are often of just the weapon spinning in place with hardly any hand movement.

Now, as someone who can 3D animate too, I understand how difficult it is and tolerate a lot especially when it comes to non-movie studio stuff without motion capture and such. For instance, feet floating during movement, since one would often animate a sequence with the character static, then move the whole character object in the scene, so actual placement and speed might not match. However, I often see his character just slide with hardly any leg motion at all, often when dodging. And there's a lack of continuity where you stop and think "Wait, she's doing this move, but wasn't the opponent over there? How did it change like that?"

It's basically a lot of flashy, shallow action bits designed to appeal for show. I prefer quality to quantity.

The Ubermensch

Mar 6, 2012
>MMD Used as the CG engine
>Yeah, we get your character references. If goldie isn't referencing Mami from Madoka I'll eat my nice warm beanie.
>X is the only one who can use X so is sent to X to learn X
>Fight scenes are over the top and meaningless. (Note I say AND. This could change though, I thought Madoka's fights were a bit meaningless... I have never trusted Gen again).

Shit, lets just watch Mami for a second

These are pretty petty complaints, especially considering its an RT production. I mean... I mentioned Madoka... Twice... Because that's completely fair. I know, and I'd ignore them IF there opening wasn't

>Mobster bad guy has to steal Mana that's sold in a corner shop yet has enough to purchase a VTOL.

So...

Yeah, it's nonsensical, and I bet was only thrown in because it seems cool. It kinda was, but it broke any suspension of disbelief. I can deal with a girl using an op shotgun to fly around, but not some punk having a VTOL, I know, I'm the weird one.

But that kind of glaring thing right in the opening act, and then with all my minor gripes really tells me not to invest any time into it.

Let's put it this way, its not one that I'm going to go out of my way to watch.

Instead I'm going to go watch Black Rock Shooter.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
1. Some of the dialogue was just awful, just so rancid. "You're going to be the bees knees" or some shit. Spare me the cliches.

2. This was pointed out before but I'm gong to talk about it some more; the hand animations. The hand animations have been awful since they introduced CGI into RvB. I figured they would get better, but they appear to have gotten worse.

3. I'm disappointed with the whole "Going to the Academy" bit. This has been done to death in japanese anime and manga, and I don't think Oum has the writing chops to make it interesting.

4. Inconsistencies in Ruby's character. "I want go to the Academy! Its my dream!" *later on the airship* "I don't want to be here." :/

Its pulled out a bunch of anime cliches and its only the first episode. I like some of the character designs, and the world is interesting, but the dialogue... the dialogue is really what I'm hung up about (hell, that one line I quoted earlier is really THE line of dialogue I didn't like at all). I just... I dunno. I'm going to give it a chance, mostly because I really like Monty Oum. But I'm also a little sick of anime in general right now, so maybe I'm being biased. But, to be completely honest, I felt the first episode was really mediocre. It'll probably get better as it goes along.

Dizeazedkiller

Feb 11, 2011
Brian Tams said:
1. Some of the dialogue was just awful, just so rancid. "You're going to be the bees knees" or some shit. Spare me the cliches.

2. This was pointed out before but I'm gong to talk about it some more; the hand animations. The hand animations have been awful since they introduced CGI into RvB. I figured they would get better, but they appear to have gotten worse.

3. I'm disappointed with the whole "Going to the Academy" bit. This has been done to death in japanese anime and manga, and I don't think Oum has the writing chops to make it interesting.

4. Inconsistencies in Ruby's character. "I want go to the Academy! Its my dream!" *later on the airship* "I don't want to be here." :/

Its pulled out a bunch of anime cliches and its only the first episode. I like some of the character designs, and the world is interesting, but the dialogue... the dialogue is really what I'm hung up about (hell, that one line I quoted earlier is really THE line of dialogue I didn't like at all). I just... I dunno. I'm going to give it a chance, mostly because I really like Monty Oum. But I'm also a little sick of anime in general right now, so maybe I'm being biased. But, to be completely honest, I felt the first episode was really mediocre. It'll probably get better as it goes along.
It's not that she didn't want to be there it's that it was a big rush and she wasn't sure she was ready for it.

Bees knees was hilarious. Maybe more so for me because i took the next line "...I don't want to be any kind of knees!" as a racial statement.