RWBY has begun

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
I'm not impressed by it so far. I WANT to be impressed by it - I love Red vs Blue. (though I miss Doc, Sister, Donut, Lopez and Shiela.) But so far it just seems... blah.

I generally don't put much stock in the animation or graphics so I'm not going to rag on the animation style. If I like the story and I like the voice acting (and the music), I'll get used to the animation style. As an example, I loved "Broken Saints" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0451002/) even though it took me the entire show to get used to the animation. So when Animism: The Gods Lake (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1795724/) was showing earlier this year I was quite able to enjoy the story and characters without having to get used to the strange animation style.

What's letting me down in RWBY is the voice acting first and foremost. It sounds like a combination of a first-time voice director trying to work with first-time voice actors, all working with a script in desperate need of a ruthless editor. Which is the second thing that's letting me down - the story. It just seems like generic anime at best, a bad rip off of generic anime at worst.

My first impression of the premiere episode is that this series is something that is like an inside joke at Rooster Teeth - they LOVE it, it hits them every time, they understand what is being referenced and it's fantastic for them. But when they show it to someone who's on the outside looking in, that outside person just stares at you, not seeing the humour in it.

I really hope this series doesn't turn out to be a "You had to be there." sort of series.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Dizeazedkiller said:
Brian Tams said:
1. Some of the dialogue was just awful, just so rancid. "You're going to be the bees knees" or some shit. Spare me the cliches.

2. This was pointed out before but I'm gong to talk about it some more; the hand animations. The hand animations have been awful since they introduced CGI into RvB. I figured they would get better, but they appear to have gotten worse.

3. I'm disappointed with the whole "Going to the Academy" bit. This has been done to death in japanese anime and manga, and I don't think Oum has the writing chops to make it interesting.

4. Inconsistencies in Ruby's character. "I want go to the Academy! Its my dream!" *later on the airship* "I don't want to be here." :/

Its pulled out a bunch of anime cliches and its only the first episode. I like some of the character designs, and the world is interesting, but the dialogue... the dialogue is really what I'm hung up about (hell, that one line I quoted earlier is really THE line of dialogue I didn't like at all). I just... I dunno. I'm going to give it a chance, mostly because I really like Monty Oum. But I'm also a little sick of anime in general right now, so maybe I'm being biased. But, to be completely honest, I felt the first episode was really mediocre. It'll probably get better as it goes along.
It's not that she didn't want to be there it's that it was a big rush and she wasn't sure she was ready for it.

Bees knees was hilarious. Maybe more so for me because i took the next line "...I don't want to be any kind of knees!" as a racial statement.
MMMmmmm, maybe the joke just bounced off me. I am told that I lack a sense of humor.

C2Ultima

Future sovereign of Oz
Nov 6, 2010
I'll wait for more episodes before making any judgements on the story or characters, but I will note that it doesn't seem like the awkward mouth movements or subpar voice acting have gone anywhere since the trailers.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
It looks just like a generic, amateur looking anime. I recognise there aren't many of them working on it, but it looks sterile to me.

ThriKreen

May 26, 2006
Desert Punk said:
Interesting insight into the animation of things, I will have to keep an eye out for some of those things in the next video.
Or just look at the RWBY sneak peaks or his previous Dead Fantasy and Haloid videos. His style, unfortunately, hasn't improved much since the first one. And sadly, as much as I understand the difficulties of 3D animation, I can't unsee these issues when watching his stuff, so I'm always cringing and can't enjoy it.

And I'm not even criticizing the story or art style - although I'm kind of meh on the cel-shading style he used here. Aside from everything looking way too flat, I think with non-real time rendering (i.e. not games), there are much better alternatives to pulling off the cel-shading look without resorting to the clamped shader method, especially since that method often has problems with line thickness not being consistent.

One would think that since they are using motion capture tech it would be easier to make the movements seem more natural. Particularly the hands thing. Isnt it just (this is over simplified) connecting XYZ points to the same points on the model?
Since they're taking the raw data on a frame by frame basis, you still have to optimize the animation motion and reduce the noise that often occurs from motion capture.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
I don't like it.

I'm not entirely writing it off yet, but the trailers killed it for me.

They were so awesome, and the first 3 at least had a really dark connotation to them. I mean shit, the very first thing that happens in the Red trailer is Rubi visiting a grave. At least that's what I thought at the time.
Going back and watching it now knowing it's like a Homework assignment or something like that, it just loses all it's sting.
Based on the White trailer I thought Weiss was on a revenge quest trying to kill the king.

Now that RWBY is a highschool anime (And there is nothing wrong with Highschool animes. Some of my favorite shows are highschool animes)
But it was such a bait and switch that I don't think I'll every be able to forget that the RWBY I imagined was a thing in my brain.

RWBY could turn out to be just fine, great even. But I'll never be able to separate my Rubi from the trailer from the Rubi in the show, or Weiss even though I haven't seen her in an episode yet.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I'm optimistically hopeful for this series.

Though it's very apparent that the first episode is rough around the animation edges, I sure that things will pick up in time; like many other popular series who had similar origins. I just hope that White will also be a great addition to the show and they find out what to do with Black before they put her in the show.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
It was alright and all, but the main characters(Ruby) personality didn't fit her attire, so it felt a bit jarring. Also, while the fight scenes were nice, the CGI animation seemed like it still needed some refining.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
NinjaDeathSlap said:
erttheking said:
Bottom line, it has flaws, but it also has heart. And heart is what I care about.
This. I won't deny it was far from perfect, but God Damn if I don't have one hell of a soft spot for passion projects like this. I really believe you can tell the difference, regardless of budget and production values, between something that was made with real love and something that was made to commission and designed by committee; and I got that from RWBY, I got it by the bucket load.
Boom, you summed it up perfectly in way I couldn't.

It's a little rough around the edge's but this isn't exactly DreamWorks or Pixar we're talking about here.

I like how Ruby isn't just some heartless killer or bad ass, she actually seem's sweet and you could talk to her without fear of her smashing your face in for just saying "hi" to her. I'm going to do what I do when watching a new tv series, give it a full season and then I'll make my call on it.

My only question is what exactly is "Dust", I didn't exactly understand how it works.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
dalek sec said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
erttheking said:
Bottom line, it has flaws, but it also has heart. And heart is what I care about.
This. I won't deny it was far from perfect, but God Damn if I don't have one hell of a soft spot for passion projects like this. I really believe you can tell the difference, regardless of budget and production values, between something that was made with real love and something that was made to commission and designed by committee; and I got that from RWBY, I got it by the bucket load.
Boom, you summed it up perfectly in way I couldn't.

It's a little rough around the edge's but this isn't exactly DreamWorks or Pixar we're talking about here.

I like how Ruby isn't just some heartless killer or bad ass, she actually seem's sweet and you could talk to her without fear of her smashing your face in for just saying "hi" to her. I'm going to do what I do when watching a new tv series, give it a full season and then I'll make my call on it.

My only question is what exactly is "Dust", I didn't exactly understand how it works.
Well, Dust is a complex network of nanobots created by the Endless, an alien race that explored the galaxy tens of thousands of years ago, it's commonly used as a currency between various factions and...whoops, wrong thing

http://endlessspace.wikia.com/wiki/Dust

In all seriousness it seems like a substance that's fundamental for the usage of magic, comes both in crystal and...well...dust. I actually kinda like the implications of it, but then again I always though applied Phlebotinum was cool.

Also I agree with you. A badass that isn't stoic with a stick up her ass? Seems like a person I'd actually like to be around? What sorcery is this?

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Daft as a brush, but in a very good way. Kept me smiling and chuckling all the way through, so good first impressions at least.

CrimsonBlaze said:
I'm optimistically hopeful for this series.

Though it's very apparent that the first episode is rough around the animation edges, I sure that things will pick up in time; like many other popular series who had similar origins. I just hope that White will also be a great addition to the show and they find out what to do with Black before they put her in the show.
My only real potential worry is given her overall design their going to make white into a bitchy school princess type. Sure, the character type can be done well, but usually its pretty awful.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I quite enjoyed it... although I agree with others... it does feel like the cutscene of a game that you just want to play!

I'll be watching it though... I like the short episode lengths... something to watch during loading screens! :p

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
I enjoyed it quite a bit. It has its issues, some stiff animation in non-action scenes and some sketchy voice acting for anyone that is not a main character. A lot of that I imagine has more to do with budget and time constraints than it does any lack of effort on the part of the team.

My excitement for RWBY has had a lot more to do with where it came from than what it is. What I mean by that is that I am excited that we are seeing more and more proper series coming from the Internet that are not just shorts.

I missed a little easter egg the first viewing that proved to me that even if I don't enjoy it as much as an 'anime' I will definitely enjoy it as a Roosterteeth show.

Also a certain voice-actor
Jen Taylor :)

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Zhukov said:
That was very, uhh... very anime.

I've watched all of, like, three animes, and even I can see that.

Also, yeah, voice acting. Not great.

Still kinda charming I guess. Unless someone sees me watching it. In which case I'll claim it was a pop-up ad.
Even worse, it's an American approximation of anime.

also, I find the sung music to be repulsive.

Still, I might watch if I'm bored.

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
First episode was...eh. I was sold on the idea of hunters and the crystals and whatnot, up until they revealed that it's an academy show. It's so damn cliche! I also never pictured Ruby to be the lighthearted one. In the previews, she came off more as one of the serious ones with Yellow being the bubbly yet kickass one.

To be fair, it's only the first episode and it's very possible that things could change further down the road, so I'll give it some time for it to come into it's own.

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
As a first episode it seems kinda generic, but I like the action and concepts so it's alright.

Sorta wish that black silhouettes were not used so it's not so obvious who is or is not an important character.

Voices are okay. But something was off for me in certain scenes with that guy in the white.

Animation for the fighting is okay. Outside of the action sequences, I think some more subtle things could use work.
(For example: Red's cookie eating for a big one. Oh, and the newscaster, which I guess didn't need to be animated that much, but still.)

Anyways, I'm looking forward to what comes next and I'm sure the overall quality will be a lot better.
RvB got a lot better over it's course too.

Also, one more thing:
Bee's Knees.
PFfffffftthhthtfththththtttttt.

Captcha: bee line
Oh, don't you start captcha

edit:

The Ubermensch said:
>Mobster bad guy has to steal Mana that's sold in a corner shop yet has enough to purchase a VTOL.
Ya that stuck out to me too. Maybe the vehicle was stolen too? idk...

Oh and Red continues to be my favorite, as much as I love power gauntlets.

Andrew Myers

Oct 4, 2012
Well Roman Torchwick (creepy badguy) is suppose to be a leader of a powerful criminal gang, so it doesn't go beyond reason that he might have a few helicopters flying for him. Plus if a hunter or huntress showed up to take him down then it is probably a good idea to have a get away they can't easily blow up. And if the police use the same power as previously mentioned hunters then a car would just have to have its tires blown up.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
I love it. The story doesn't stream too far from Roosterteeth's writing, the characters are all different and Ruby is adorable. Monty deserves a lot of credit on the art and the writing, and the rest of the staff as well. I'm excited to see episode 2. A lot.