Ryan Reynolds' Green Lantern Costume Officially Retconned

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I honestly don't think all the redesigns in the world could save this costume. It's just one of those things that looks damn silly even in the source material. Sometimes, thing just don't translate that well into the real world.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
I guess I'm the first in this thread to suggest that using a costume like the one in the comic would look far sillier than this one.

Jyggalag

Jan 21, 2011
NpPro93 said:
I've never been a Green Lantern fan, so I don't really know enough about the comic to judge how faithful/accurate the costume is.
Same here, except I think the costume looks cool. What's his costume made out of? It seems like it's a part of him or something. The feel look a little funny unless the suit is an extension of his body or something.

Anezay

Apr 1, 2010
People will never ever be pleased. They shouldn't change the costume every time someone says boo.

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
I don't see the problem. I do see pettiness and irrational reactionism from the fans, though. The butler gloves + spandex isn't in any objective way BETTER; it's only simplistic because of comic book limitations from half a century ago. There is no good reason to stick to it, especially when reimagining the franchise for a wider audience.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
It... looks the same to me?
What changed?

Also, are people really refusing to go to this movie over the way his suit looks, and not for the much more obvious larger problem of it starring Ryan Renolds?

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Green Lantern fan? No not really.

Ryan Reynolds fan? Ever sense Van Wilder, i have been.

I liked the old costume myself, but this one looks good too, so bring on the movie.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
stop putting out concept art fans can exaine and nitpick over. Nobody would've noticed the toes in theatres but now everyone will be looking for them all the time. Give us another cool trailer.

-Sigh- Green latern is going to be nitpicked too much. IT's starting to rankle. Hardcore fans of green lantern are hardcore nitpicky comic book fans becasue green latern isn't as well known as say batman or Spiderman(yesiknowheisn'tDCthankyou). You clamor for a movie and now you have one and it isn't what all your wetdreams told you it would be. Tough. Be happy your getting one. My Green Arrow ain't ever gonna happen.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
90% of the shots are going to either be, not having his feet and hands completely the center of attention or he'll be moving fast.
Since it's a movie and all.
So I don't think it'll matter.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
This is even worse than the old suit. At least the old one was consistent. This just looks like a horrible combination of the old idea and the comic version. Also, get rid of those toes, NOW!

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
It's funny how everyone is picking on how it's showing off all the muscles and the definition of his body yet noone has mentioned that there doesn't seem to be any definition in the actual suit, It's just a mass of blacks and greens, it's stylistically ugly.

Green Lanterns are allowed to alter their suit however they please once they progress from rookie status but they generally stick with the classic look of white gloves and the rest.

To me this film suit whilst I have absolutely no problem with the "organic" look, simply reeks of trying too hard. A simple bodysuit with a cg iridescent effect overlaid to highlight that it's energy. would work better if you ask me. Looks like bad CG at that too.

Oh and just a bit of useless comic information, the green is physically hot to the touch and the black is cold. (Not sure about the white)