Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Battle for the Grid is a very underappreciated game. While I had the power rangers bug growing up I stopped around generation 4 cause I guess I just grew out of it or something but I still have fond memories of it, and yeah this game basically plays like a Marvel vs Capcom game so having someone with those playstyles included fits right in. Lets just hope they're not quite as bad as they were in all of those versus games. I believe only in Tatsunoko vs Capcom Ryu wasn't super terrible. Though Chun was pretty bad there too.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
That blend of her SF outfit, and a Ranger armor suit, is actually pretty slick.

It's so funny, the Power Rangers for me. I never watched it, as I was already aged out of it's target demographic when it was big, but, I LOVED the reboot film they did a few years ago, even with just a cursory familiarity with the MMPR characters. And the game Chroma Squad, that is straight up a love letter to that series, is AWESOME. Like, I genuinely get kind of choked up at a few parts in that game, given the way they structure the narrative of it. I didn't finish it, but I started playing it again, and I forgot how much just FUN it was, and how much it loves the source material it's parodying. It's like Galaxy Quest, if GQ was MMPR, and a video game. Like, you could totally subtitle every joke in that game, that basically all boil down to "This thing is really silly." but EVERY single one of those jokes, would have the disclaimer "But we fucking love every bit of it anyway!" And it does it well enough that a non-fan of the source material, loves the game.

So it's a strange duality for me, with the franchise. I like the spirit of it, even if I don't personally have the invested nostalgia for it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That blend of her SF outfit, and a Ranger armor suit, is actually pretty slick.

It's so funny, the Power Rangers for me. I never watched it, as I was already aged out of it's target demographic when it was big, but, I LOVED the reboot film they did a few years ago, even with just a cursory familiarity with the MMPR characters. And the game Chroma Squad, that is straight up a love letter to that series, is AWESOME. Like, I genuinely get kind of choked up at a few parts in that game, given the way they structure the narrative of it. I didn't finish it, but I started playing it again, and I forgot how much just FUN it was, and how much it loves the source material it's parodying. It's like Galaxy Quest, if GQ was MMPR, and a video game. Like, you could totally subtitle every joke in that game, that basically all boil down to "This thing is really silly." but EVERY single one of those jokes, would have the disclaimer "But we fucking love every bit of it anyway!" And it does it well enough that a non-fan of the source material, loves the game.

So it's a strange duality for me, with the franchise. I like the spirit of it, even if I don't personally have the invested nostalgia for it.
I reccomend the Wonderful 101, if you're interested in a more action packed Power Rangers style experience. It's available on all modern consoles (except, PS5, XBONE, or SERIES S/X) and PC. I was the target demographic for Power Rangers when it first came out. I saw the original movie back when I was 6. Wonderful time and memories. I loss interests in PR when I was about 10-11. Interests in new things, mainly the anime boom, and fatigue was setting. I briefly came back for Dino Thunder, but that was for Tommy.

Unfortunately, I did not like 2017 movie. It had great ideas, but I felt the "dark and gritty" aesthetic was unnecessary. Power Rangers can get serious and has done so the right way, but I felt the newer film kinda missed the point in some regard. It did not feel like truly Power Rangers until the last half hour. I am glad you enjoyed it though.

Reactions: happyninja42

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
I really don't like when fighting games do crossovers like this. Mostly because it seems like a waste of a slot especially since Power Rangers has a lot of characters they could have used the development time for. I understand I'm in the minority because stuff like this usually does sell but it still acts me

Reactions: Hawki

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I really don't like when fighting games do crossovers like this. Mostly because it seems like a waste of a slot especially since Power Rangers has a lot of characters they could have used the development time for. I understand I'm in the minority because stuff like this usually does sell but it still acts me
That's a valid point, when you have a roster so huge as the PR franchise. The thing is that the entire point of this, is to bring in new, non PR fans to the game. Someone like myself, who has never watched the show, doesn't really have anything invested in the show, and thus very little reason to play the game. I did actually try it out for a little while, but grew bored with it pretty quickly. However, if I was a huge SF fan, it might be enough to draw me back into the game. Boom, new customer gained, playerbase expanded beyond diehard fans.

I mean if they suddenly said "Now introducing Cole McGrath from inFamous as a new fighter in PR:B4tG!" ....I would probably be compelled to check it out. It would be weird yeah, but, I mean I love me some Cole McGrath. Or if they added the cast of...I dunno, Avatar: The Last Airbender. Same result.

And thus, the reason for crossovers.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That's a valid point, when you have a roster so huge as the PR franchise. The thing is that the entire point of this, is to bring in new, non PR fans to the game. Someone like myself, who has never watched the show, doesn't really have anything invested in the show, and thus very little reason to play the game. I did actually try it out for a little while, but grew bored with it pretty quickly. However, if I was a huge SF fan, it might be enough to draw me back into the game. Boom, new customer gained, playerbase expanded beyond diehard fans.

I mean if they suddenly said "Now introducing Cole McGrath from inFamous as a new fighter in PR:B4tG!" ....I would probably be compelled to check it out. It would be weird yeah, but, I mean I love me some Cole McGrath. Or if they added the cast of...I dunno, Avatar: The Last Airbender. Same result.

And thus, the reason for crossovers.
I get it, but this game has been out for what, 3 years now? The game and the fighting game genre itself is already niche enough. Fighting games live and die by their roster, and that is doubly so when it comes to crossover characters. Battle For The Grid is already a success; this is opening another door to get more attention from the mainstream or average joe. The roster size for this game is pretty huge, and 2 Street Fighter characters aren't going to hurt it.

Last edited:
Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I get it, but this game has been out for what, 3 years now? The game in the fighting game genre itself is already niche enough. Fighting games live and die by their roster, and that is doubly so when it comes to crossover characters. Battle For The Grid is already a success; this is opening another door to get more attention from the mainstream or average joe. The roster size for this game is pretty huge, and 2 Street Fighter characters aren't going to hurt it.
Pretty much yeah. The whole point of crossovers is to do exactly that. Cross over into the other customer base, and get new sources of revenue. The whole point of the SF characters isn't to hurt the game, but to bolster it. Even if it's doing great, the execs behind the money always want more money. So if they can milk another franchise for potentially double the playerbase, of course they're going to do it.

Personally I think it's a decent crossover, given what SF is all about. Sticking them in a fighting game, in a franchise that's all about fighting too, just seems like a really smart idea. Plus, the Chun-Li Super Sentai armor was really good. It's just as campy as both franchises often are, but also pretty cool. And not gonna lie, as someone not really a fan of either franchise, I'm sitting here, visualizing the SF roster, all done up as Rangers, in the armor, in one of those big massive shots they like to do with the PR, all charging at some army of puddies while the cheesy as hell PR theme music plays. Yeah that's pretty fucking cool to me. You could have some ridiculous teamwork attacks, which is already a thing with SF, but give it the over-the-top camp of the PR team attacks. The SF villains are already as cheesy and overblown as any villain of the week from PR. It's really a seamless blending as far as I'm concerned.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ryu and Chun are awesome. They play like you expect, but fits in the combat of Power Rangers.