Saddest Cutscenes (HUGE spoilers!)

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I found that Gears 3 cutscene pretty funny. It was like watching a hairy steak commit suicide.

The one from Gears 2 was alright though.

Teh Jammah

Nov 13, 2010
The Wykydtron said:
The Bad Ending to Persona 4, simply because unlike most bad endings it's not like "HA! You and your friends are dead!"

It's more like "you've got to leave all your friends with a big fuck off mystery that you should have solved"

Considering the entire game is about solving that one big fuck off mystery it's a lot sadder than it sounds
That's not the really bad ending. That's the one where...

You throw Namatame into the TV, Teddie vanishes for good and your cute little cousin dies. Although I'd still count the fake-out where she nearly dies as well. Manly tears were shed when that happened.

AnAngryMoose

Nov 12, 2009
garjian said:
JackandTom said:
I know this has been done before, but I wanted to mention one cutscene in paticular.

Ok, if you've not played Gears of War 3, LOOK AWAY NOW!

I mean, c'mon guys! Wasn't that heart renching! Seriously, I never cry at games or films but that had me holding back tears of manliness! I don't know what makes it sadder; the fact that Marcus is almost in tears or using "Mad World" as the music.

So, what do think of that cutscene? Is there any higher on the list?
how very action film cliche.

i find myself saying: "oh no, a refrigerator died. my life will never be the same."
how can this be even remotely sad, yet alone a contender for "saddest cutscenes"?

Gears of War seems to be trying to get blood from stones in this story. its pathetic.
Quick question? Have you ever played a Gears game and, if so, become invested in it or did you just brush it off as another over-the-top action game? If your answer is the latter then of course you won't find it heart-wrenching. That's like how I don't find Dumbledore's death upsetting whereas Harry Potter fans are blown away by it.

If you scratch the surface of Gears of War, it has more to it than just big, burly men chainsawing monsters.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
JackandTom said:
I know this has been done before, but I wanted to mention one cutscene in paticular.

Ok, if you've not played Gears of War 3, LOOK AWAY NOW!

I mean, c'mon guys! Wasn't that heart renching! Seriously, I never cry at games or films but that had me holding back tears of manliness! I don't know what makes it sadder; the fact that Marcus is almost in tears or using "Mad World" as the music.

So, what do think of that cutscene? Is there any higher on the list?
I've only played the first few levels with some friends but I don't get it...

They need to get out of there so he drives clean away in the truck - and doesn't take any of them with him? Then comes back and kills himself? Also, I always thought Marcus and Dom were going to get together at the end of the Gears 3. They've been flirting with each other the entire series.

Dreamfiller

May 25, 2011
Ill just leave these here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paW2kvjL_78 Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-ST8XpIvHU&feature=related Part 2

I know these arent all sad CUTSCENES but hey.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Kyrian007 said:
SH 2 video was pretty good. But...
http://www.jegged.com/Image/Strategy/FFVII/Walkthrough/Aeris-Death2.jpg
Yeah, this.
For me that death was very silly and confusing, all those hours I spent before that moment phoenix downing her and everyone else and then she gets cutscene killed.

OT: The ending to Mother 3 really depressed me, and so did the ending of Okamiden

Lenoh

Apr 22, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
The Bad Ending to Persona 4, simply because unlike most bad endings it's not like "HA! You and your friends are dead!"

It's more like "you've got to leave all your friends with a big fuck off mystery that you should have solved"

Considering the entire game is about solving that one big fuck off mystery it's a lot sadder than it sounds
That's nothing compared to
Nanako dying

But the saddest death is in a popular RPG series that was the 4th released in America with a character whose name begins with "A" and ends in "s"
It's Alys from Phantasy Star 4. Who did you think I meant?
The fact that she pretty much stays with the hero from the start all the way to halfway through the game doesn't make it better, knowing you have to sally forth without her. :(

Also, fuck you, Neifirst. You made me cry at age 9. And now that Phantasy Star Generations 2 will never come to America, I can't take sweet revenge on you by keeping Nei alive. :(

Sexy Devil

Jul 12, 2010
Both inFamous 2 endings. Takes a while to get to the actual ending parts but I believe in you guys finding them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbAKQHx-6TI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2fXW1GWKiE

Counting the Zeke thing as a cut scene. Seriously only done good karma runs because after seeing Zeke's development in this game I legitimately can't bring myself to kill him.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
The end of Professor Layton and the Unwound Future. It is the only game that made me tear up.

The actual cinema starts at 3:28

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
So apparently a lot of people are in a knot over Gears 3's sad twist. I've never even played a GoW game. The gameplay seemed average, the story uninteresting and the characters unlikeable. All a matter of what tickles your fancy, i suppose.

As for myself, in light of Gavin Dunne's latest performance, i'm gonna go with Red Dead Redemption. And to me that game was over before the epilogue. Nice to see some "justice", but still... it just felt unnecessary.

g3ko

Jun 2, 2011
Cockroaches aren't actually resistant to radiation
go to 15:20

JackandTom

Nov 17, 2010
namewon said:
That wasn't sad at all.
It was obvious he would die or suicide one way or another.
Before the cutscene started it wasn't obvious what was going to happen.

Nanaki316

Oct 23, 2009
I'm going to go with the obvious of Aeris dying... does that even need spoiler tags these days? :p

The end of Crisis Core, and quite a few cutscenes from that game tore me up. Also a few from various Silent Hills and Lost Odyssey was such an emotional game. I really must play through that again.

What can I say? I'm a girl. I'm a sucker for a story and characters I fall in love with.

EDIT: Ooh 500th post. I only noticed because I was going to add the scene from FFVII where Nanaki tells the story of his father!

Skotavus

May 23, 2010
It's been mentioned plenty of times before in other threads, but:

In a game where you can jump out of an airplane unassisted and not die (assuming you'd done the parachuting minigame beforehand, of course) this was a pretty jarring shift of tone to me.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
In .Hack//GU Redemption, the ending at Hulle Granz Cathedral between Haseo, Shino and Atoli usually gets me choked up.

Bluntman1138

Aug 12, 2011
I really liked the Gears 2 Dom/Maria scene, it brought a few tears to my eyes. BUT i also felt it was forced in there.

Now, the ending to Mafia 2, though it didnt bring any tears to my eyes, i found sad and VERY realistic in it's context. It didnt seemed forced for dramatic effect like Gears 2 scene, and i didnt see it coming. So i find it to be sadder.