Saddest Cutscenes (HUGE spoilers!)

Idsertian

Legacy
Apr 8, 2011
All have already been mentioned, but:

Red XIII (sorry, Nanaki for you diehards) and the story of his father,
Aeris' death (DAMN YOU SQUARE! STOP IT ALREADY!),

Dom's entire story from Gears 2 onwards. A tragic character of having what little hope he had crushed, struggling with the guilt and misery over what he couldn't do and what he had to do and finally ending it all to save his friends. All in a leading role. Dayum Epic, you cold.

Oh yeah, and Marcus' dad.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Teh Jammah said:
The Wykydtron said:
The Bad Ending to Persona 4, simply because unlike most bad endings it's not like "HA! You and your friends are dead!"

It's more like "you've got to leave all your friends with a big fuck off mystery that you should have solved"

Considering the entire game is about solving that one big fuck off mystery it's a lot sadder than it sounds
That's not the really bad ending. That's the one where...

You throw Namatame into the TV, Teddie vanishes for good and your cute little cousin dies. Although I'd still count the fake-out where she nearly dies as well. Manly tears were shed when that happened.

PERSONA 4 SPOILERS GOOOOOOOO
Yeah i was thinking of that ending too, the thing is I was more concerned about the mystery rather than my crippled surrogate sister... I may be a terrible person

And my Manly Tears were replaced by stunned silence with the occasional "what?!" or "fuck you Yosuke..." thrown in

Oh and I think the "Good" Ending of Persona 4 is probably worse than the Bad Ending imo. The fact that you think you've won but in reality you've just proved Shadow Teddie (remember his speech on the nature of Truth) and all the antagonists right is what makes it sad i think

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Either inFamous 2's Evil ending, or...

Not strictly a cutscene, because it's still semi-playable, but...
You kind of have to play the game to know why it's sad, though.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Ulquiorra4sama said:
So apparently a lot of people are in a knot over Gears 3's sad twist. I've never even played a GoW game. The gameplay seemed average, the story uninteresting and the characters unlikeable. All a matter of what tickles your fancy, i suppose.
In defense of the game, it might make more sense if you had played it. You will never hear me say that Gears of War has depth anywhere near on par with a good RPG or anything similar, but it's a very well designed franchise. The gameplay is best-in-class for third person shooters, the story is arguably quite interesting and fairly unique, and the characters are almost all likable in a bit of an odd, brotherly way.

Gears of War 2 was successfully able to tug at my heartstrings during the Dom/Maria scene, but that only worked because I gave a rats ass about Marcus, Dom, and the rest of humanity's plight. Is it as involving and emotion-tearing as Mass Effect? Not a chance. But it does its job well regardless.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Killer7 had a pretty depressing ending and the epilogue wasn't much better.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
natster43 said:
The end of Professor Layton and the Unwound Future. It is the only game that made me tear up.

The actual cinema starts at 3:28
Yeah this was pretty dam sad, I found Halo Reaches ending sad too, because I'm wierd.

namewon'tfitin

Nov 20, 2009
JackandTom said:
namewon said:
That wasn't sad at all.
It was obvious he would die or suicide one way or another.
Before the cutscene started it wasn't obvious what was going to happen.
It was pretty obvious.
Dom was a broken man after Maria's death.
He actually tried to suicide before in the books.

JackandTom

Nov 17, 2010
namewon said:
JackandTom said:
namewon said:
That wasn't sad at all.
It was obvious he would die or suicide one way or another.
Before the cutscene started it wasn't obvious what was going to happen.
It was pretty obvious.
Dom was a broken man after Maria's death.
He actually tried to suicide before in the books.
I've never read the books, and in a game with 5 acts I din't think they'd kill him off at the end of act 3. It wasn't a shock that he died, the shock was when it happened.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
Homeworld 1 where they return to their planet Karak is moving.
I wont post the cutscene as you have to play the entire stage to experience it.

Showing my age here, but Phantasy star 2 and Nei was very sad at the time

Panzervaughn

Jul 19, 2009
In Mass Effect2, if you dont chase after kidnapped crewmembers immediately, Terrible things happen. It didn't have me so much sad as it did "Wait.. what? NO! NO THIS ISNT RIGHT!" Futily banging on a glass tank.

Mostly cause i was still trying to get my space-groove on with Kelly, and figured she'd hop right out and be super grateful... not.. melt. That complicated things.

lobo_ace777

Nov 18, 2009
I have only ever cried twice while playing a game. Seeing the trunk were Saria sat outside of the Forest Temple as an adult in OOT and the death of Big Boss in MGS4. The second one is obvious; the first one was sad with the music, Sheik's speech, and the fact that the fate of a character I had grown to like was left unknown until after I defeated Bongo-Bongo.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
Return to Kharak from Homeworld. Anyone who has played it will know what I'm taking about. Anyone who hasn't, you may as well watch it anyway, since the game was released in 1999.