Saints Row dev: "Xbox 720 used game ban would be fantastic."

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Riki Darnell said:
lapan said:
Riki Darnell said:
everythingbeeps said:
Fine with me. Still getting an X720, and getting the popcorn ready for the comedy that will be the incessant whining of used game buyers.
Same here. I try to buy all my games new anyway so it won't effect me much. But honestly I don't think THAT many people would stop buying games. I worked at a movie theater for 3 years and you wouldn't believe how many times I got this on a DAILY basis..."two tickets for that 3D movie" me: ok that will be $27 "WHAT?! $27! THAT'S CRAZY! THAT PRICE IS WAY TO HIGH" and you know what happened 98% of the time after they finish the rant? They hand me the money and go watch the movie. Same thing when they would buy food in concession.
The problem is that without used game sales someday you won't be able to play old games anymore. Half my PS2 collection is made of games you can't buy new from most stores anymore.
But that's more towards backwards compatibility than used games. I think if they did go thru with it then all the games that come AFTER the system comes out will have to be new, not any of the older games.
And someday those games won't be sold in retail anymore too and probably only the most profitable ones will be rereleased online by the company.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Saucycardog said:
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1218051p1.html

Why does every publisher seem to be in cahoots with each other on the subject of used games?
For the same reason that used-game players seem to be in cahoots with each other on the same issue.

Are you seriously asking?

Anyways, derp. Insert PC elitism here.

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
Most of the posts are in denial. "They'll never get away with this" (they will), "I'll switch to Sony" (Sony will do it too), "I'll stick with the systems I have now" (maybe for a while, but eventually you'll cave).

Microsoft was the first to test required online activation on a massive scale with Windows XP. Computer users 10 years ago were saying all the same things, but I doubt many of us are using Windows 2000 or earlier.

Riki Darnell

Dec 23, 2011
lapan said:
Riki Darnell said:
lapan said:
Riki Darnell said:
everythingbeeps said:
Fine with me. Still getting an X720, and getting the popcorn ready for the comedy that will be the incessant whining of used game buyers.
Same here. I try to buy all my games new anyway so it won't effect me much. But honestly I don't think THAT many people would stop buying games. I worked at a movie theater for 3 years and you wouldn't believe how many times I got this on a DAILY basis..."two tickets for that 3D movie" me: ok that will be $27 "WHAT?! $27! THAT'S CRAZY! THAT PRICE IS WAY TO HIGH" and you know what happened 98% of the time after they finish the rant? They hand me the money and go watch the movie. Same thing when they would buy food in concession.
The problem is that without used game sales someday you won't be able to play old games anymore. Half my PS2 collection is made of games you can't buy new from most stores anymore.
But that's more towards backwards compatibility than used games. I think if they did go thru with it then all the games that come AFTER the system comes out will have to be new, not any of the older games.
And someday those games won't be sold in retail anymore too and probably only the most profitable ones will be rereleased online by the company.
But by the time that happens you'll either...1. Have computer roms and emulators for those games (like I have for all my SNES games I can't play now) or 2. When they release a digital download for it, just pay for it again. When I got my 2nd PS3 it wasn't backwards compatible like my 1st one, so I had to go on the marketplace and buy all the games I had, but just couldn't play on it.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
Spartan1362 said:
Hahahah.
Amusing that devs dislike piracy yet they continually strive to push people towards it.
I don't think it's the developers who push people toward piracy by screwing the public. I think it's the publishers who do this.

But that's big business for you. There will come a tipping point in the future, wait'n'see my ripped off gamin' brother. :)

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Riki Darnell said:
lapan said:
Riki Darnell said:
lapan said:
Riki Darnell said:
everythingbeeps said:
But by the time that happens you'll either...1. Have computer roms and emulators for those games (like I have for all my SNES games I can't play now) or 2. When they release a digital download for it, just pay for it again. When I got my 2nd PS3 it wasn't backwards compatible like my 1st one, so I had to go on the marketplace and buy all the games I had, but just couldn't play on it.
1. I doubt that, computers can barely emulate most PS2 games, let alone consoles of the current generation.

2. I'm all for buying games, but if i have to rebuy them for every single new console even I someday have enough.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
versoth said:
It's because you cant patch an extortionist killswitch into a car, dumbass.
Of course they could, in developed countries at least. Link the engine management system with a basic mobile network receiver, check the methods of vehicle registration available corporately and then wipe the immobiliser key if the owner appears to change.

Or they could simply continue to build cars with specific tools only available to people that the auto makers approves of and refuse to service them if the owner changes. Lack of service history and being unable to get them repaired by reputable mechanics would make mean people wouldn't buy them used.

Cant needs to be replaced by wont because the car manufacturers are not stupid enough to do it because they know people wouldn't buy them in the first place. The technology to equip a kill switch certainly exists though.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
Saucycardog said:

Why does every publisher seem to be in cahoots with each other on the subject of used games?
Heh, If they are so eager about Murdering their own industry so much, I say let them, the cycle will begin a new 10 years after every company that fucked up has died out, just like it happened in the 70s.

xvbones

Oct 29, 2009
mirasiel said:
xvbones said:
Saucycardog said:

because the used games market permits companies like Gamestop to sell their products multiple times without ever paying them a dime.

Not one penny from any used game sold reaches the people to developed or published the game.

Not one.
Yes, because those 20 copies of heavy rain, 15 copies of red faction etc etc just fucking teleported themselves into the store and the devs never saw a penny from the sale of them.........OH WAIT THEY DID BECAUSE OTHERWISE ITS NOT 'PREOWNED' ITS STOLEN MERCH.
You seem to have a serious misunderstanding of the word 'used' and I'm not certain where it comes from.

EVERY DOLLAR FROM EVERY USED GAME STAYS IN THE STORE AND DOES NOT BENEFIT THE DEV OR PUBLISHER AT ALL.

Those copies of Hard Rain each sold once, and then were returned and from the moment they were returned, they were null and void to the devs and publisher, each time they were sold and returned after that very first sale, every single dollar stayed in the store.

Speaking of Hard Rain, in the month after Hard Rain released, we sold five new copies, and took in and sold and took in and sold and took in and sold and took in and sold each of those five copies something like a dozen times each.

My bosses were thrilled, because they hated selling New games at all. As a matter of fact, a huge part of my job was to ensure that each of my employees met or exceeded a very high quota of Used games sold every month.

Because that was where all our hours came from. Used game sales first, preorders next. We made almost no money off console sales, almost everything off of used.

Oh, for reference, I was a manager of a Gamestop for three years.

Btw, the 'Used' price you are championing as being oh so very great for the poverty stricken gamer is on average $5 less than new. Five. Dollars. Less.

When you buy Used, you are not supporting the gaming industry, you are only supporting the store you bought the Used game at.

Period.

Rivenart

Feb 1, 2012
xvbones said:
Btw, the 'Used' price you are championing as being oh so very great for the poverty stricken gamer is on average $5 less than new. Five. Dollars. Less.

When you buy Used, you are not supporting the gaming industry, you are only supporting the store you bought the Used game at.

Period.
Nonsense. Pure nonsense.

Mass effect 2 used for Xbox 360 £4.99, new? Not available on this platform physically, other platforms? Ranging between £19.99 and £24.99, That's a massive £20 less or 20% of the price.

Did I not support bioware with my purchase of Mass Effect 2 at all, when they completely unsupported me and my late purchase, did my purchase of the Cerberus Network, a tool I don't like the basic idea behind but respect it at least provided me an option and allowed them to make some money out of it or my purchase of all the DLC for Mass Effect 2 or the £5 placed down on the preorder for the next game in the series. Did none of these things support them and as the current systems in place and thier use of an option then outright banning provide any benifit to Bioware? Maybe it's a bit late to be considered funding the sequel but it still funds the company, the fact I purchased it late may also give them insights into thier advertising and issues of the game that intially put me off.

Edit: All that for 4.99 I paid directly to GAME that has changed BW's profits and future profits due to me buying the rest of that series. That £4.99 not even a reflection of the price they paid someone for the game, but of the age and market for it, something these companies love to ignore but applies to all other markets out there. That £4.99, the "massive profit" Game made out of it was for a service they provide by bringing in old unwanted games, giving space back to peoples shelves and allowing them to see new life and reuse, you know recycle the good thing everyones meant to be doing more of. It had to take up space somewhere, space cost money and is at a premium these days. They aren't stealing anything, they are not making huge profits but neither are they doing it out of the goodness of thier hearts. They was even kind enough to get rid of the subpar Skyrim, a game I massively regret pre-ordering and supporting Bethesda choice to make a subpar game with all the same glitches they've fixed 5 times now, at least in some small way I've be able to change my vote on the product with cash, a vote that became instantly valid without actually first hand experience of the game. Bethesda done a great job rewarding my loyalty to them on multiple accounts but I won't say more on that related but seperate branch of issues with the games market.

Theres no full stop about it, if you want to try making a case against something that ultimately doesn't effect you then how about some actual facts and not wild guesses and hyperbole, then add some common sense.

Removing this stuff won't mean they'd instantly get more money, many will never buy into systems like cerberus, origin, limited installations, paying £5+ to buy a game they already own as they've removed backwards compatibility and support for different medias.

mirasiel

Jul 12, 2010
xvbones said:
mirasiel said:
xvbones said:
Saucycardog said:

because the used games market permits companies like Gamestop to sell their products multiple times without ever paying them a dime.

Not one penny from any used game sold reaches the people to developed or published the game.

Not one.
Yes, because those 20 copies of heavy rain, 15 copies of red faction etc etc just fucking teleported themselves into the store and the devs never saw a penny from the sale of them.........OH WAIT THEY DID BECAUSE OTHERWISE ITS NOT 'PREOWNED' ITS STOLEN MERCH.
You seem to have a serious misunderstanding of the word 'used' and I'm not certain where it comes from.

EVERY DOLLAR FROM EVERY USED GAME STAYS IN THE STORE AND DOES NOT BENEFIT THE DEV OR PUBLISHER AT ALL.

Those copies of Hard Rain each sold once, and then were returned and from the moment they were returned, they were null and void to the devs and publisher, each time they were sold and returned after that very first sale, every single dollar stayed in the store.

[/b]

As well it should because unless people are just GIVING those games back the store has to expend money to get them, the devs do not deserve a cut of the profits from that transaction because they have nothing to do with it.

You seem to have misunderstood my post, the devs already got their cut when the game was first sold...after that..fuck them, really, just fuck them.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
mirasiel said:
xvbones said:
mirasiel said:
xvbones said:
Saucycardog said:

Not one.

[/b]

As well it should because unless people are just GIVING those games back the store has to expend money to get them, the devs do not deserve a cut of the profits from that transaction because they have nothing to do with it.

You seem to have misunderstood my post, the devs already got their cut when the game was first sold...after that..fuck them, really, just fuck them.
Exactly this. Why should they benefit from used sales? They've already made their money from the original purchase in the first place. Banning used movie sales, banning used CD sales, none of that shit would fly, so why should it fly for gaming?

xvbones

Oct 29, 2009
mirasiel said:
I see.

So what you are saying is, it is the STORES that deserve your support for all they do for you.

The devs though, the people who actually make these games, who devote thousands of manhours and millions of dollars into something for your entertainment, no, fuck them. They don't deserve your support.

After all, they aren't the one selling the game to you. Why do they need your money? You're right, fuck them.

It's all about the middleman. Absolutely.

Just to be clear, people like you make me sick.

Rivenart

Feb 1, 2012
xvbones said:
mirasiel said:
I see.

So what you are saying is, it is the STORES that deserve your support for all they do for you.

The devs though, the people who actually make these games, who devote thousands of manhours and millions of dollars into something for your entertainment, no, fuck them. They don't deserve your support.

After all, they aren't the one selling the game to you. Why do they need your money? You're right, fuck them.

It's all about the middleman. Absolutely.

Just to be clear, people like you make me sick.
As opposed to you who also think someone who is providing a service should be doing it for free.

Tbh the quote post is probally refering to companies like EA, the lead in all things screwing consumers over, that when then "only" make 10 million profit they'll no longer fund a series and sack people for it. Because Publishers are all about support and equal sharing of money to the people that actually make the game.

Clearly no point in making any case against you, you're far too busy with you're false indignation, calling people sickening over something so relatively trivial to many things. And far to eager to ignore the many ways it does support the developers.

Moktor

Feb 3, 2011
Lilani said:
I'm sure car manufacturers and new car dealerships would also leap at the opportunity to take down used cars. However, used car sales have been around for so long that they've become their own type of market and they've just learned to have to deal with it.
Actually, the profit margin on a used car is WAY higher than new. So while the factory wants you to buy new, dealerships make a killing on used. You could then compare that to developers and places like Gamestop, who also likely make a killing on people selling games to them for $15 and re-selling for 40.

Moktor

Feb 3, 2011
xvbones said:
Oh, for reference, I was a manager of a Gamestop for three years.

Period.
This is why I stay out of Gamestop. First off, I don't pay full price for something that has been opened (which is most of their product, unless I pre-order), and second I see the used game model they use as a bit dirty. Just a little bit dirty, but dirty enough. I believe in capitalism, but that system is just nasty.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Oh God, just try it Microsoft. Please. Try it. See what happens to your potential user base.

Make that move. I've been looking for an excuse to switch to PC gaming for a while now.