Saints Row IV Could Have Had President Colbert and Dragons

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Man, I want Colbert and the Rock in my Saints Row!

I mean, it's make more sense if you're not the president and running of doing whatever you're going to be do in SR4 since the president just sits there and tells other people to do things, not do them himself.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Colbert and Dwayne Johnson were scrapped? They better be holding this shit back for DLC. I will be all over that like a fat kid on cake.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
If you have the options for "no dragons" or "dragons" why would you give up on the "dragons" idea and instead choose "no dragons"?
THIS MAKES NO SENSE.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Shoggoth2588 said:
Cognimancer said:
"We wanted Stephen Colbert to be the President," says Steve Jaros, creative director at Volition. "I have concept art that's amazing. It's Stephen Colbert on a battlefield holding the American flag, his sleeves are ripped off, he's got a bald eagle tattoo ... It was badass, but finally it was like, fuck it, you're the President. Why give it to someone else?"
I would have wanted to earn the Presidency. After all, once you kill the President you become the President.

---

Can't wait to see how SR4 ends up turning out though. I would have rather had a hammer-monkey gun than a dubstep gun but that's just me...hopefully Septic Avenger and Crowd Control are back.
And how many people would even want to kill President Colbert?

I know I wouldnt have.

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
Whatever of manner of mind-altering substances these men have acquired, I must have them.

In all seriousness I don't really see how hammer-wielding monkey being shot out of a gun that inevitably would have just been a few plates with a trigger and several angry primates with mallets strapped to it didn't beat out a dubstep gun, but isn't that the reason that the gods brought the glory of DLC to man?

Either way they'll all lose their novelty rather swiftly. The series has gotten so insane that all of the crazy stuff they're putting in will just seem more mundane sooner rather than later.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
The thing that's wrong about making a game as crazy as this is the fact that it doesn't give you the freedom of creativity you might expect. Quite the opposite, actually. You have a lot more freedom to be creative when the game is grounded in reality and you're left with your imagination and just enough tools to mess around. Like Just Cause 2 for example. Where half the stuff people did were things that the developer never thought of. They just put you in this sandbox world, gave you the tools and let you decide what to do with those tools.

Saints Row 3, and now SR4 don't do that. They're giving you cheap tricks like dubstep gun instead. How long is that gonna last? You'll fire from a dubstep gun a couple of times and then the novelty will wear off. You can't experiment with those tools. A baseball bat is actually a better tool than a fuckin' dubstep gun. The appeal of those ridiculous things is obvious. Everything you can do in the game is laid out in front of you. Which makes the game obvious and that's not something a free roaming game should ever do. Free roaming games should inspire exploration and imagination. SR3 failed to do that. And it doesn't look like SR4 will be any better. And you can forget about unlocking amazing things like you did in SR2. DLC all the way baby.

San Andreas did that extremely well too. They gave players just enough craziness but it was all grounded in reality. The game didn't need to be stupid to try to be fun. It was just fun.
This is pretty much how I fell about Saint's Row 3, and now, SR4. It's like its being written by Seth MacFarlane now. SR2 was written in a smarter manner. When the gags are literally handed to you, the humour falls flat. No delivery in the comedic factor.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Wasn't he the president in some animated film? Monsters vs. Aliens or something? I only remember him as the rest of the film was lackluster at best, but him being the president was awesome.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
So ... this game could've been crazier...

Should I be impressed or concerned

captcha: propane accessories

Dammit, Captcha, stop giving them ideas!!

Apr 28, 2008
Adam Jensen said:
The thing that's wrong about making a game as crazy as this is the fact that it doesn't give you the freedom of creativity you might expect. Quite the opposite, actually. You have a lot more freedom to be creative when the game is grounded in reality and you're left with your imagination and just enough tools to mess around. Like Just Cause 2 for example. Where half the stuff people did were things that the developer never thought of. They just put you in this sandbox world, gave you the tools and let you decide what to do with those tools.

Saints Row 3, and now SR4 don't do that. They're giving you cheap tricks like dubstep gun instead. How long is that gonna last? You'll fire from a dubstep gun a couple of times and then the novelty will wear off. You can't experiment with those tools. A baseball bat is actually a better tool than a fuckin' dubstep gun. The appeal of those ridiculous things is obvious. Everything you can do in the game is laid out in front of you. Which makes the game obvious and that's not something a free roaming game should ever do. Free roaming games should inspire exploration and imagination. SR3 failed to do that. And it doesn't look like SR4 will be any better. And you can forget about unlocking amazing things like you did in SR2. DLC all the way baby.

San Andreas did that extremely well too. They gave players just enough craziness but it was all grounded in reality. The game didn't need to be stupid to try to be fun. It was just fun.
Yeah, I kind of feel the same. To put it another way, in Saints Row 2 I was the Joker in a straight world. In Saints Row 3 (and it seems 4), I'm a straight man in the Joker's world. It's not bad, but I prefer to be the prime lunatic rather than a silly guy in a world full of lunatics.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
What? No Stephen Colbert as President?

Bu-But... WHY NOT?!

Idon'teven.

Alright, that's it. No purchase of SR4 unless Colbert is announced as possible DLC for the small price $100.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Why is it I get the feeling that this game has a gun that shoots exploding puppies?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
erttheking said:
Why is it I get the feeling that this game has a gun that shoots exploding puppies?
No no no, that's "malevolently hilarious", not "Wat hilarious".

Now, if the gun shot exploding badgers...

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
The more i hear of the "craziness" the more nervous i get about how much there will be to the actual gameplay it just seems like they are trying to sell this on wtf appeal alone and that isnt a good sign.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
dont get me wrong, i like the saints row series, but if they had got Colbert as president for the game, i would have bought it no matter how crappy the game turned out to be. How could anyone scrap that idea, it is pure brilliance.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
They probably did not want to be wacky skyrim. Anyway, I'm buying it day one.

linkblade91

Dec 2, 2009
I think I fail to understand the problem:

1. You wanted the player character to be the President.
2. You wanted Stephen Colbert to be the President.

Am I the only one who identified the solution?

The player character is Stephen Colbert.

He'd be like the Model T: you can customize your character however you want, so long as it's Colbert.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
NinjaDeathSlap said:
You know, there's 'reveling in your own unapologetic lunacy'; and then there's 'snorting blow before throwing darts at a word wall to make a script, above which is inscribed, in big flashing neon letters "It's funny because random and references!"'
So that's how you kids are making video games these days!
Why back in my day.....
[sub](mumbles to self whilst nurse puts me back in padded room)[/sub]

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Getting rid of fun things instead of finding ways to implement them in the game?

Once upon a time I remember Volition saying "We don't care if something doesn't make sense or "work" in the game, we'll put it in because its fun." Granted they were talking about SR3 there and many people were disappointed. But if you're gonna go wacky to the degree of superpowers and a gang banger becoming the president of the united states you might as well go all the way and add a mother fucking dragon. Tut tut Volition. You have disappointed me. And I'm gonna be so fucking mad if this ends up as DLC and the actual game isn't as awesome as these scrapped ideas.

But still, the game hasn't been released yet so I have to give it the benefit of the doubt. After all, I thought Met Gear Rising was gonna be terrible and now I can't stop thinking about it lol.