Saints Row IV Review - Hilarious and Over The Top

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Saints Row IV Review - Hilarious and Over The Top

Over the top action, melodramatic alien overlords and Keith David. What's not to like?

Read Full Article

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
I was so worried that was just going to feel like it could have been a lazy add on for The Third.

Glad to see that I'm wrong and that I pre-ordered it~ =)

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Was this review played on PC? The PC history of SR ports has been... spotty, at best. It would be nice for confirmation it's actually going to run before I put in a preorder, although this review is a good sign.

Edit: I am bad at reading comprehension. Apparently it is. Awesome.

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
Falterfire said:
Was this review played on PC? The PC history of SR ports has been... spotty, at best. It would be nice for confirmation it's actually going to run before I put in a preorder, although this review is a good sign.
According to the line at the bottom of the review page, it was based on the PC version of the game.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Did they really use the same map from SR3? Am I the only one who finds that really lame? It wasn't that great a map. I felt it was kind of flat compared to the one in SR2 getting into a big firefight in one location was much like getting into a firefight in any other location. Definitely not a good enough map to recycle. I'm going to rent it but its going to have to be 'DAMN!' good for me to buy it.

Cpt. Slow

Great news everybody!
Dec 9, 2012
But the main question remains: is Alex Mercer [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prototype_(video_game)] in this?

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Good to see that the Saints Row series isn't dead yet.
Also it seems to be returning to it's former glory (Or surpassing it) in this latest game. Well I'm guessing that because it seems to be earning high reviews from everyone, even our own Jim Stirling on Destructoid.

Well I'm glad I went back to Preorder it in Australia.
And I shall look forward to that DLC alien probe. HAH~

Now I just need to wait ... I hate waiting.
I wonder if people will call it Saints Row 3.5 after all of this?

gentlemanghost

Jul 7, 2011
spunkgarglewiwi said:
But the main question remains: is Alex Mercer [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prototype_(video_game)] in this?
No, the main question: is Burt f--king Reynolds in the game?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
So you mean the doomsayers that claimed it was Saints Row 3.5 without ever trying it were wrong?

You don't say?

Man, I hope I get a tax return or something. I don't want to wait for a sale.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Yes, yes, mayhem destruction super-powers dildos boom kapow blam. Much crazyness everywhere. That was never really in question. I just want to know if the storyline is as horribly borked as SR3.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
JarinArenos said:
Yes, yes, mayhem destruction super-powers dildos boom kapow blam. Much crazyness everywhere. That was never really in question. I just want to know if the storyline is as horribly borked as SR3.
According to Metacritic, it is.

Of course, if you're looking for something story-driven and well-written, you're in the wrong genre.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
romxxii said:
No mention at all of game length? I'm worried.
Official Xbox Magazine says that it took them 25 hours to do the main and side missions, not including going all completionist on the map itself.

Hellkiller15

Nov 19, 2009
You should've said mini spoilers or something I didn't want to know anything about the story til playing the game now I know there's a rocket somehow involved in becoming president.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
MinionJoe said:
From the early release gameplay videos I've seen, SRIV appears to parody the following games: Prototype, Mass Effect, Far Cry: Blood Dragon, and XCOM: The Bureau. It looks brilliant!
Don't forget Infamous!

I loved the last two SR and Infamous games, so it's nice to see them in the same place. :D

Epidemiix

Custom Title Yay!
Jan 3, 2012
Wait, you won't be able to romance Keith David?
Welp now I know that I won't be getting this game. Damn it Volition! D:

In all seriousness, great review, it is making me consider picking it up(which is better than "never going to get it"). Probably when the price goes down a bit.