Saints Row: The Third Review

ImSkeletor

Feb 6, 2010
I have to say that while I didn't like the direction of this video at first it grew on me and I kind of want this to be a semi regular thing now even though I doubt that will happen because people here seem to be pretty dang divided about it.

Laxman9292

Feb 6, 2009
Meh I didn't mind the voice. It meant that the video review didn't just ape the written review like usual. Seriously I just listened to your review and now I have to read the same words?

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
PH3NOmenon said:
So, I watch the review video. I read the written review. And I don't know jack about the game.

Are you just saying it's Saints Row 2 all over again? Is PC vehicle handling improved? Is there now any reason to earn money beyond using it to earn more money or change your appearance? Is it worth buying this if you already own SR2 or is it just a cash-in on past fame? Aside from a more user-friendly interface in the smart-phone, does it actually do anything new? Can I finally listen to my own tunes in the car? Has the AI improved since the last iteration? Is the game actually challenging now? I remember SR2 being fun, but without any challenge the fun eventually (and I do mean after a goodly amount of hours) started to feel hollowed-out. If every one of your owned shops resets your threat-level, does police ever impose any kind of challenge?

Kind of a swing and a miss on this review. Kudos for trying something new, but some more information would be appreciated, even in the written review.
read the VERY end to the review. It says its based off of the Xbox 360 version of the game. So I am guessing asking about the PC version won't get you too far.

DekuDurden

Oct 22, 2008
I prefer to hear about the game via a straightforward, insightful critique. I want the good and bad for gameplay, overarching experience, and technical aspects, not your "ironic" impersonation of a wannabe thug. Knock off the character-acting, tell us about the game, and do this one over.

Reynaert

Jan 30, 2011
wkim564 said:
This version is not a port, pc version for the third is developed in house.
Thanks for making me aware of this. I'm still not a 100% won over but if there's a bargain, who knows?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
BehattedWanderer said:
One question, can you import characters from the initiation station smoothly, or do you have to remake them?
No importing, new game engine.

edit; my bad, read SR2 import. Yes you can import from the character creator.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
I felt uncomfortable listening to this review in a room with other people, had to plug my headphones in. Please dont do that again. :(

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Wow, I had no interest in this game before and I have even less now!

The first video review on the Escapist that I simply couldn't watch all the way through. Sorry Greg, I normally love your reviews but that was really awful. Plus it was hard to tell (from the first half at least) what your actual opinions were.

The_root_of_all_evil said:
(I've already ordered it, but I can't play it until I finish Nanowrimo. Rewarded deadlines are necessary)
Oh, how wonderful, me too! ^_^

Although my poison would be Skyrim at the moment... and apparently these forums...

Darthbawls77

May 18, 2011
Game looks fun but I have to complain about the review as well. Its not the fact that you did it in "character." Its the fact that you did it in character with no sense of excitment or life. I think you were reading from a card or something for a school report lol.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
I just got this today, and my God does the PS3 version's FRAMERATE CRASH down so hard it is at times running as if in slow motion.
Except unintended slowmotion, and it really makes the driving a tad harder. But the shooting much easier...

Either way, hurry up with a patch!!!!

CriticalQuit

Jun 16, 2009
Kenjitsuka said:
I just got this today, and my God does the PS3 version's FRAMERATE CRASH down so hard it is at times running as if in slow motion.
Except unintended slowmotion, and it really makes the driving a tad harder. But the shooting much easier...

How did you get Saints Row the Third today if it comes out in 3 days?

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
CriticalQuit said:
Kenjitsuka said:

How did you get Saints Row the Third today if it comes out in 3 days?
Easy, Gamemania in the Netherlands texted me saying I should pick up the game I pre-ordered.
After calling them and hearing "Yeah well, we got it today..." I swung by and indeed got the game, even though officially it's not supposed to be sold untill tuesday. This happens a lot around the world with all sorts of games though...

I can confirm that downloading the Genki package works fine, although any other DLC on hand is obscured by a semi-error message.

TJM8

Jan 25, 2009
I mean I'm sure these comments are littered with this, and if you had fun making this review that's cool, but really it just sounded stale. It didn't make me excited for the game. You trying to sound "cool" while describing stuff just made everything seem boring. Overall it didn't feel like a review, it felt like you just describing some stuff you did, not even critically most of the time, it was just you saying stuff that happened. I'm not saying do the IGN ratings or anythign like that, I'm just saying if you're going to do a review do a review.

Lenin211

Apr 22, 2011
McMullen said:
A reminder: People intentionally trying to sound "gangsta" when they're not is nearly unanimously looked down upon, and is therefore an ineffective way to draw interest to the review. I was done after one minute. Don't care about your review enough to tolerate the voice, don't even feel like muting it and continuing, or reading the text portion either. A person who makes that bad a judgement call probably has nothing meaningful or insightful to say anyway.

That is why they also have a written review... The bulletstorm video review didn't review the game, nor did the Duke Nukem video review. They've done this before.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Arizona Kyle said:
Reynaert said:
Love the way this review was done, it actually made me wanna play that game. I probably won't get it though. I don't have a current-gen console and the previous Saints pc port wasn't playable. At all.
It is on Onlive you know lol
Uhm, that doesn't speak to the PC version's actual playability when you have a real copy at all. As everyone knows, the Onlive version is of course not playable, because streaming games is just about the dumbest thing anyone in the gaming industry has ever come up with. Why anyone would ever say "it is on onlive you know" to try and say that the regular PC version is good is beyond me.