Samurai Warriors 4 Review - Oda The Top

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Samurai Warriors 4 Review - Oda The Top

Samurai Warriors, now stronger, better, harder, and faster.

Read Full Article

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Personally, I'd say that keeping work out of the hands of abysmal US anime-circuit voice actors is actually the definition of having care for your presentation.

A quick look at a sentence should be enough to get the gist of it.

That aside, I'm really torn up by this review. I didn't think I'd be getting a PS4 until they announced a truly next-gen Dead or Alive 6... But now I feel like... I've got to get a PS4 fricking tomorrow.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Candidus said:
Personally, I'd say that keeping work out of the hands of abysmal US anime-circuit voice actors is actually the definition of having care for your presentation.
Warriors games typically pull from strong stock. Yuri Lowenthal and Liam O'Brien are cast regulars, and are some of the best US actors in the business. It's a long time since we had "Feel the power of my maaaagiiiiiic."

Though personally, I miss those days. :)

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Jimothy Sterling said:
Candidus said:
Warriors games typically pull from strong stock. Yuri Lowenthal and Liam O'Brien are cast regulars, and are some of the best US actors in the business. It's a long time since we had "Feel the power of my maaaagiiiiiic."

Though personally, I miss those days. :)
Zee-ah-how Done:
"Do not fear their magic. Forward. Zzzz."

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Hmm, this sounds quite perfect for me.

While I have become a Dynasty Warrior fan thanks to you Jim, this seems more in my area. Not only do I have more interest in Japanese culture, but the whole "Create-A-Warrior" system sounds great, and I really know that I'm a fan of all that stuff. the last point is more of a personal preference. I just like the weapons that the Japanese and Samurai use, and this has led me to have an interest in their history ... and more importantly, heroes and legends.

So, I think this will be a buy for me.
Now once again I have a game for my PS4! (I gave back Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag since I become bored of it, and become somewhat disappointed with the story. And Infamous Second Son for that really disappointed me character and story-wise. The gameplay was a bit "eh", as well. Though make that two games once Dragon Age: Inquisition comes out. Add another for The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt.

I can only pray that those two come out with flying colours, then my hope for this current gen might come back.

Tom Dalton

Apr 17, 2013
I haven't played a Warriors game for years now, but used to adore them. When the first Samurai came out there was a definite difference in how it felt and played to Dynasty, with the former making me feel weaker, less of a god and thus needed to work with the army a little more. This could have also been because I was rubbish but who knows. I checked out some gameplay footage of this and particularly with the addition of those "hyper moves", it appears to play a little closer to Dynasty. Is this how it has felt for folk who've played it?

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
nothing against Warrior games since I really enjoy 'em but lately there's just too many, Hyrule Warriors, Warriors Orochi, and now Samura Warriors. I don't know which one to play, Zelda is my favorite series so that one's a no brainer, Warriors Orochi has Ayane and Ryu from Ninja Gaiden and one of them is my favorite female characters (guess which one!) so I find myself not lost because I would like to invest time on Samurai Warriors but I'm not done with the other 2 yet :(

then there's the Dragon Warrior that'll come next year and I rather wait for that one than delve into SW :S Am I missing out?

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Hey Jim.

Are you going to Twitch stream this?

If you stream it, you'll have no problems getting people for coop on the same map.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I've enjoyed the few missions I've played so far. The person who thought of being able to command and play as two characters is a genius. I no longer have to get angry at the fact I couldn't be everywhere at once. I'll be playing this once I beat Pirate Warriors 2.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
I remember Samurai Warriors 2. Man that was such a fun game. I loved playing through every single characters story. Shame I don't plan on getting a PS4 anytime soon. I would love to play this series again. Hopefully they'll do a PC port like they did for Dynasty warriors. I won't hold my breath though.

IOwnTheSpire

Jul 27, 2014
It upsets me that there are no English VAs, I would hope they release a download with them at some point.

What annoys me is when people say that the Japanese voices are better simply because they're Japanese. Having played Warriors Orochi 3, which only has Japanese voices, I'd say the quality of the voice acting between the English and Japanese voices are about equal.

Leonardo Huizar

Jul 1, 2012
Huh, thats an odd thing to read in your review Jim. You have trouble with reading the dialogue on screen? I can safely assume i'm maybe a casual level of intelligence but i can scan those speech bubbles in a few seconds. Maybe you just havent trained your brain to digest info faster.

NO im not i trying to insult you, Im trying to recommend if you are interested i suggest you would get a copy of any version of Tetris and play the game as hard and as fast as you possibly can and make it routine. It might alter your mental faculties as it has with me a bit, but it might give you an edge with other things like beating Yahtzee at Uncivil war. Just look any speed tetris video on U2b and give it a try.

*Back On Topic*

Im going to put this down on the "buy on sale later" pile. I was a big fan of the Warriors Orochi games [1&2... 3 notsomuch] and tit stinks that it doesnt have the English voice actors. Not trying to be anti-anime enthusiast but i love the semi campiness of the english voice actors. It reminds me of the old hong kong gon fu movies, but in this case with samurai. Also Im a big sucker for self-insert create a character.

I kinda wish KOEI would move on and do other Warrior themed games. Theres hundreds of anime, mythologies, and licenses from all through out history. So maybe i'd like to play a DW:Star Wars or in Samurai Heroes case a Capcom Warriors with Sengoku era styled characters from their series they still have their grubby mitts on. Maybe a DW: Greek pantheon VS Norse Pantheon, Or a DW:Marvel Civil War instead of the same 3Kingdoms & Sengoku story again.

IOwnTheSpire said:
What annoys me is when people say that the Japanese voices are better simply because they're Japanese. Having played Warriors Orochi 3, which only has Japanese voices, I'd say the quality of the voice acting between the English and Japanese voices are about equal.
Id say the same thing about cartoons in spanish [The DBZ Latino dub 'no es bueno' and the MLPFIM characters were miscast except for AppleJack who was spot on] or TV dubs in castilian but theyre really no better than the english. Especially when you know they hired 1st/2nd generation VAs because they pronounce people's names and locations in perfect english.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
CrazyBlaze said:
I remember Samurai Warriors 2. Man that was such a fun game. I loved playing through every single characters story. Shame I don't plan on getting a PS4 anytime soon. I would love to play this series again. Hopefully they'll do a PC port like they did for Dynasty warriors. I won't hold my breath though.
So far, they've only ported the DW games, right?

No Samurai, Gundam, Orochi, Fist of the North star?

I'm just saying, not holding your breath is probably the right attitude here.

IOwnTheSpire said:
It upsets me that there are no English VAs, I would hope they release a download with them at some point.

Fans have asked for this for a while now, and it probably won't happen. I don't think KT cares enough about its English customers. Hell, I'm just thankful 4 is coming out on consoles I own. I didn't play 3 at all because I gave my Wii console to my mom.

LarsInCharge

Sep 9, 2014
Zachary Amaranth said:
CrazyBlaze said:
So far, they've only ported the DW games, right?

No Samurai, Gundam, Orochi, Fist of the North star?

I'm just saying, not holding your breath is probably the right attitude here.

IOwnTheSpire said:

Fans have asked for this for a while now, and it probably won't happen. I don't think KT cares enough about its English customers. Hell, I'm just thankful 4 is coming out on consoles I own. I didn't play 3 at all because I gave my Wii console to my mom.
It isn't that they don't care about their English customers, but when the dub, they lose money over here since the series doesn't sell as well here. So they said that would rather spend the money to localize it at all for some of the fans, and save money by not hiring English VAs.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
LarsInCharge said:
It isn't that they don't care about their English customers, but when the dub, they lose money over here since the series doesn't sell as well here. So they said that would rather spend the money to localize it at all for some of the fans, and save money by not hiring English VAs.
And I literally do not believe that one bit. I could not possibly believe it less. They have a history of disregarding their English (especially American) base, and it doesn't look at all like it comes down to sales.