Satanic Temple Unveils Baphomet Statue For Oklahoma

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Can the next project be thor battling zues and just make this a cavalcade of statues on the state lawn? Beccause they'd probably get an increase in tourism from it alone.

and I'll be honest, as a Catholic... I think that looks sick as all hell. In fact lets take down the ten commandments one and just put jesus in full apocalypses battle armour.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
I can't believe an insurance company would even accept calls about this. There's no way they wont have to build them 5 more, at least.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
This is pretty ridiculous. If they were smart they would remove the monument with Ten Commandments on it. But this is probably gonna go sour.

Also, people need to stop confusing the Federal Separation of Church and State with the states rights to put whatever their legislation wants on their front lawns. That much quoted separation only applies to the Federal Government in the need to not enforce a state (read: federal) religion, as that is basically one of the factors that lead to initial declaration of separation from Britain. A state right (read: individual states)(the verbiage confuses most, it's just poorly thought out) technically preempts federal law. So, an individual state can do stuff like that without the need to worry about Church and States separation. You may not agree with it, but it's because of that very thing that states have started to legalize Marijuana, despite the Federal Governments complaints about it.

I also feel that while the Ten Commandments are Christian concept, they are representative of a system of laws. It's a state legislator building, they make laws, so it's not like it's something that should surprise anyone and it's certainly not an outlandish idea.. I haven't seen it but they don't have actual Christian symbols out there. No Jesus, no Mary, no Cross. People just freak out about this kind of thing. I would personally classify an image of someone's "God" of worship is not nearly the same thing.

Aug 1, 2010
Skeleon said:
Make it a tourist attraction, make it a symbol to pluralism, make it something great and human! Not many monuments, but one monument to human beliefs, non-belief, thoughts and hopes, dreams, philosophies, cultures, everything.
That would be so much greater than anything the narrow-minded fundies would ever create by themselves.
So what you're saying is, you want a religious version of the Greendale Human Being?

[img/]https://fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net/hprofile-ak-prn1/t5.0-1/50515_243006402673_3668975_n.jpg[/img]

I can dig it.

Baresark said:
I also feel that while the Ten Commandments are Christian concept, they are representative of a system of laws. It's a state legislator building, they make laws, so it's not like it's something that should surprise anyone and it's certainly not an outlandish idea.. I haven't seen it but they don't have actual Christian symbols out there.
Only two of the ten commandments are laws and four of them are about honoring god. It's pretty religious.

OT:
Seems pretty brilliant. The statue is pretty damn cool looking as well.

Satanism itself is actually more interesting than its given credit for. It's really to bad the the knee-jerk reaction is to assume that it's purely for rebellious teens.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Actually, the 10 commandments already represents the religion of the satanists, Satan being part of the Christian pantheon.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
RA92 said:
Skeleon said:

To some people, this "yes, even if you're gay, we'll let you give us money"-sticker is bullying. Of Christians.

But that's unfair and wrong. Because these people don't speak for Christians, they only speak for their own, narrow group. Please don't let people like that speak for you, if you are a Christian.

Source:
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2014/05/01/the-twisted-logic-has-ruptured-my-brain/
I... I could not process that for a while. Usually I can understand the reason for bigotry, be it upbringing or zealotry... but this just beyond anything comprehensible. Being inclusive now counts as bullying.
I think it's a matter of isolationism. Many of these people live in small communities with population levels too low to see any sort of Gay/Lesbian community. When you live in the city and are exposed to it you come to see/learn that some people are just born that way, and there's nothing wrong with it. When you're isolated in a small community where everyone's the same it's easier to adopt the concept that 'it's a lifestyle choice and it's perfectly viable option to choose not to be gay'. Starting from that mindset combined with low-average intelligence I'm sure you can come up with all sorts of mental gymnastics to create these horribly bigoted and blatantly double standard statements.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Well fair is fair. They'll find some loophole to not have it placed and even if it does the thing will be vandalized over and over again. It is a nice sculpture nonetheless.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
MarsAtlas said:
Baresark said:
This is pretty ridiculous. If they were smart they would remove the monument with Ten Commandments on it. But this is probably gonna go sour.

Also, people need to stop confusing the Federal Separation of Church and State with the states rights to put whatever their legislation wants on their front lawns.
The federal constitution supercedes anything and everything that a state chooses to do, period. We fought a Civil War over the idea that the states didn't have to follow federal laws or the federal constitution, and we know which side won that, right? It was the North, the side who said "No, you can't secede, and you must obey federal law." So if anybody is making, it is, by far, you. Its been the way the federal government operates and since the 1780s'. Shay's Rebellion, the Whiskey Rebellion, the Nullification Crisis in which Andrew Jackson almost started a war with the state of South Carolina. If anybody is mistaken, its you.

Remember the Cliven Bundy stuff from a bit ago? He lives in this history revisionist fantasy world, and what he did was no different than any of the other tax protests that have been quashed in history. States must submit to the federal government, period. No debating that point. Often times, states are given a lot of autonomy, but federal law always supercedes state law. There's a reason why medical marijuana is grown in secret. The federal government isn't lodging "complaints" about marijuana possession.
The civil war was not fought over that. It was specifically fought for the right of secession (which is not the same thing as this) and it was fought over laws that specifically hurt the southern economy that did not apply to northern states.

When it comes down to it, it's really a matter of opinion. There are lots of things that identify states having rights over federal, and that relies completely on reason. The question is: Will any state protect their citizens by blocking or arresting a federal agent when they try to arrest someone who is not breaking a law of the state? It has actually happened, but no major legal proceedings occurred. The states officers simply drove them to the border and let them go.

That is why states like Arizona can make laws that are unpleasant towards immigrants and the federal government only wags it's finger and asks them to reconsider.

You cannot definitively say that one precedes the other, technically. We won't know till it comes to a head. But individual state rights are by far the most important. It enforces what's called a foot vote. You don't like the state you live in, you can move to another that is in alignment with how you think things should be done. But yes, you will always have to pay federal taxes. Yes, murder will never be legal again (thank the gods for that) and the Federal government would be expected to step in where it's not that way.

Edit: Also, up until the civil war, secession was legal. So it was fought to make something that was previously legal, illegal. That was the first act of a government that started moving beyond it's intended responsibilities. And just because secession is not considered the right thing to do these days (I can't agree or disagree, to be honest), it does not mean that states have forgone all other rights. Ergo, we have a disparity between what the Federal Government dictates and what States do.

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013
When will crazy religious Christians realize that Christianity isn't the ONLY religion allowed in this country, especially when ALL religions are free to be practiced(though Scientology can get the fuck out of here). I congratz the satanist for their awesome looking statue.

CriticalMiss said:
I hope that one day there will be a life-sized statue of Odin beating the ice giants right there next to this one. Not because I believe it actually happened, but because it would look way more awesome than a piece of execution equipment. Of course that won't happen because the bible says that 'Murica was founded by jesus and everything else is literally satan and to give equal billing to other religions would be unfairly opressing the majority.

I'm kind of suprised that the Pastafarians haven't made a noodly statue of their own too. Unless they did and someone ate it.
That reminds me:

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
I demand a statue of Emperor Palpatine be put on their lawn, their blatant disregard for the Sith offends me.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I hope that one day there will be a life-sized statue of Odin beating the ice giants right there next to this one. Not because I believe it actually happened, but because it would look way more awesome than a piece of execution equipment. Of course that won't happen because the bible says that 'Murica was founded by jesus and everything else is literally satan and to give equal billing to other religions would be unfairly opressing the majority.

I'm kind of suprised that the Pastafarians haven't made a noodly statue of their own too. Unless they did and someone ate it.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
First off, that's a pretty cool looking statue. Second, I absolutely think they should be able to display it. If government space is being given over to displays from one religion, it should be open to all religions.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Baphomet isn't Lucifer though, he's just a symbol from an earlier pagan religion.

Can we add a statue of Guts to the lawn as well, since he totally kicked Baphomets furry but? While we're at it, lets add Shiva, achiles, and Fenrir, just so we can build a little menagerie of gods.

NOTE: Also, most of you do realize that Separation of Church and State isn't in the constitution, right? The state didn't break the law by putting up the ten commandments, it's only breaking the law if it refuses to put up the other statue (which it will). Most likely, both statues will be removed.

Nielas

Dec 5, 2011
MarsAtlas said:
Edit: Also, up until the civil war, secession was legal.
Legal? Maybe, Im not sure if a law for that actually existed. Constitutional? Absolutely not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_v._White

Look into constitutional law. Most all of what you're saying is unfounded.
There was also the Whiskey Rebellion where the residents of some counties in Pennsylvania rebelled against a new whiskey tax. Some of the rebels declared independence and wanted to secede from the Union. George Washington ended up sending in the federal army and 20 men were tried for high treason.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
...And now I have a reason to visit Oklahoma! No offense to natives but I know next to nothing about other features, attractions and, local cuisine your state offers up for visitors to enjoy. It's not quite as bad ass as the Detroit Robocop statue but I haven't really been into Satanism for a few years. Either way though, I look forward to seeing if any Atheist groups will try crowdfunding a third statue...perhaps the Flying Spaghetti Monster?