SaveDukeNukem.com - Is the Saga Really Over?

AlgorithMan

Jan 29, 2009
There's a countdown on saveduke.com - is that newly there? If I'm not mistaken, it counts down to christmas 2011

Jackpot

Mar 21, 2008
tk1989 said:
A.. fake closure? wouldn't that create massive legal implications? You can't just "close" but not mean it!
Fake publicity announcements would not.

I doubt this is fake though.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Wow, if this is just another layer of hype, then this'll just be a huge kick in the crotch to the two people who still care when it turns out that the game just isn't very good...

Poor Duke Nukem, he used to be so cool :(

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
that would be kinda interesting if it's a bait and switch like that

however the whole "no peeking" thing is a very easy web configuration in the web server or just an index.html in each directory so your browser autoloads that.

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
SomeBritishDude said:
If this is a stunt it's not a very entertaining one. 3D realms have been doing this for so long that Duke Nukem isn't a greatly antisipaited game or a massive joke...It's just annoying and a little bit depressing.

If the game is released, who bets it will be less than 8 hours long?
I bet its going to be 4 hours!

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
If this game ever comes out it's going to be crushed under the weight of the hype.

To be honest, I would prefer it not to be made. That way it will go down in history as the great game that no one got to play.

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
D_987 said:
If it really is a publicity stunt, its probably the best in gaming history...
Only if the game is ever friggin finished. If they pull this as a publicity stunt and it takes another 3-4 years for the game to be released, then they still suck.

If they really are shutting down, no big loss if you ask me. Was anyone really keeping up to date on the development? I just assumed everyone felt like it already had shut down.

kwdav

Apr 28, 2009
it does sem like such an obvious publicity stunt, shutting down on completion of said game then the next day loads of footage and screens hits everywhere. also their site is still up and still selling stuff.

But whatever i hoped thered be a duke nukem forever as me and all my freinds grew up playing these games.

ill be telling my grandchildren about this about the death of a game and company that shocked everyone even though hardly anybody cared

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
I suspect another studio will by the Duke Nukem rights and finally release the goddamn thing. 3D Realms closing down is probably the best thing to ever happen to the franchise.

gmer412

Feb 21, 2008
http://www.savedukenukem.com/

Pay special attention to the yellow lines at the bottom of the page.

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
I know This is going to lead to disappointment, but this publicity stunt has just raised my already High expectations. Wanna know how high? ITS OVER NINE FUCKING THOUSAND! 3d realms are smart guys and gals.

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
It's dead. The former 3drealms employees are looking for jobs. Some have already found them. 3drealms is no more.

Doesn't mean there will never be another Duke Nukem game. Not really clear who owns the development rights. I think Take Two has the rights to publish the next game, if not the next few. I don't know the details of that arrangement, ie. if that's only with 3drealms or if that would transfer to someone else.

If someone does take up the console DN game banner, I bet they'd start from scratch. Simply, the game was in development for a decade. I'm sure there's good stuff in there - they had some talented people on it. But to have a game in development for 10 years, and it's not close enough to finished so as to be able to get another studio to buy it out and finish it? Or that Take Two would rather cut their losses after funding it for however long than to just see it through? It's got to be a mess.

shMerker

Oct 24, 2007
savedukenukem.com [http://savedukenukem.com] just updated. Apparently it's a fan looking to ressurect the project with donations.

In the coming days, I plan to turn this site into a hub for all news, content, and fund raising activties for the Duke Nukem franchise. The ultimate goal behind the SaveDukeNukem Project is to acquire the Intellectual Property for the game and, hopefully, release it to the general public in the not so distant future. My initial thought was to take it Open Source - but I realize this may not help the employees of 3D Realms who worked so hard to bring the game this far. I will soon be taking feedback on what to do with the time and money donated to the project.
Also, I keep seeing articles saying the news of 3D Realms shutting down broke on the 7th, but Joystiq reported the rumor [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/06/rumor-duke-nukem-dev-3d-realms-shut-down/] on the 6th and Joe Siegler, the 3D Realms webmaster confirmed it [http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showpost.php?p=867590&postcount=129] the same day. Granted the story wasn't 100% verified at that point, but there was enough there that a zealous fan could have jumped on the domain at that point, fearing that it would be gone if he waited for further confirmation.

I just saw the count-down on saveduke.com. Looks like it's set to finish on December 23rd 2011. I think it's sort of ironic that the page title says "beware of imitators" when the page looks a lot like the savedukenukem.com page looked like earlier today.