SaveDukeNukem.com - Is the Saga Really Over?

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
AlgorithMan said:
There's a countdown on saveduke.com - is that newly there? If I'm not mistaken, it counts down to christmas 2011

And as we know, time limits are something that Duke Nukem developers pay CLOSE ATTENTION to.

lollergasm.

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
shMerker said:
Vern said:
Mainly because it was a very fun game, and it advanced the first person shooter genre quite drastically. It had rooms above rooms, interactive objects, inventory system, in game dialogue, and plenty of weapons. Strife had some of the features, but the Build Engine expanded on it quite a bit. It was a huge technological advancement, and it was rather funny.
An inventory system was neither novel nor an advancement when it was employed in Duke Nukem 3D. Heretic, Hexen, and others had done it years earlier. Also note that the most popular FPSs to come after, the Quake series, Half Life, and Halo, do not employ a similar feature, because it breaks up the flow of play.
I like how you took one of the advancements I listed among all the other and took a crap on it. The inventory system was novel, and yes Heretic did it before. Although Hexen was released a few months after Duke3d, so one of your examples is false. Still, Duke 3D was far more popular than Heretic, so I would say it was one of the first really mainstream games to have an inventory. I love Heretic, and Hexen more than Duke 3D, but you have to give props where it's due. As an aside, Quake II, one of the most popular multiplayer FPS games of all time has an inventory system. Regardless, I'm not terribly fond of the inventory system, but it was still a new(ish) idea for an FPS at the time, and all the advantages the Build engine brought to 2D FPS games was an amazing feat. Plus if it wasn't for Duke3D and the Build engine, we wouldn't have Blood, the second best 2D FPS after Doom/Doom 2, and the second best FPS ever made. After Doom/Doom2 of course.

shMerker

Oct 24, 2007
Vern said:
I like how you took one of the advancements I listed among all the other and took a crap on it. The inventory system was novel, and yes Heretic did it before. Although Hexen was released a few months after Duke3d, so one of your examples is false.
Wikipedia has the release of date of Hexen as October 1995 and Duke Nukem 3D as January 1996.
That is close though.

I wasn't trying to discredit your whole post or anything like that. I agree, Duke Nukem 3D was a good game that pushed it's genre and video games in general into some new territory. That said, not every single aspect of it was an improvement.

What I remember about the inventory in that game was that I basically didn't use the items because the keys weren't used very frequently so I couldn't remember where they were when I wanted them. Even when I did use them it seriously broke the flow of play and pulled me out the game when I had to hunt for the key I wanted.

Maybe other people didn't feel this way about it, but the absence of a similar system from the majority of popular FPSs to come after leads me to believe that players and developers rejected the idea in the end. How is that an advancement?

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Things are looking pretty bad for the Duke... And I just played a demo of the old games. They were awesome.

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
With the latest surprise update from Valve, I wouldnt put anything past game companies at the moment.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
I'm surprised there are so many people who actually think this is a publicity stunt. Duke Nukem probably will be released, it just won't be 3D Realms that finishes it. Take Two needs to recoup somehow, and with the lawsuit, they will no doubt get the full rights to the game.