Say One Thing About The Country You Live In

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
Canada here.

We're in the top 3 most Uranium-rich countries on the planet, despite not being a country with nuclear weaponry.

That anybody knows about.

omgeveryone9

Jan 25, 2013
Hungary!
The obscure country somewhere in europe which people believe is full of poor gypsies.
Fun fact: Magyars, or Hungarians were responsible for inventing the helicoptor (Oszkár Asboth), Vitamin C (Albert Szent-Gyorgyi), the Ballpoint pen that many people use (Biro Laszlo Jozsef), the foundations of the first commercial car (Jozsef Galamb), the foundations of a computer (John von Neumann, who made BASIC computer language and helped invent the atomic and hydrogen bomb), and colour TV (Peter Carl Goldmark).

purf

Nov 29, 2010
Okay, and one from the country I live in and also for it:

You know, Denmark, currants, especially the red ones, are a tasty fruit and since you are producing a shitton of them - hell, the oldest currant-seeds were found in Denmark - you don't need to turn ALL of them into schnaps or jams or whatever. You can sell them just as they are. Try it. At least once.

Karma168

Nov 7, 2010
4RM3D said:
Not Matt said:
Norway

we need a license to have a TV
lol wut? How does that work?
If it's anything like the UK it's a 'tv tax' that you pay to use a tv to watch live shows. It pays for the BBC so that's why it a) doesn't have commercials and b)makes the best documentaries on tv.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
Karma168 said:
4RM3D said:
Not Matt said:
Norway

we need a license to have a TV
lol wut? How does that work?
If it's anything like the UK it's a 'tv tax' that you pay to use a tv to watch live shows. It pays for the BBC so that's why it a) doesn't have commercials and b)makes the best documentaries on tv.
Oh, I see... Well, that is pretty common. You made it sound like you need a license to own a TV. XD

BishopofAges

Sep 15, 2010
Country of Origin: Guess

Positive Statement: Pretty interesting bits of everything (why do we make fun of Japan when we're actually weirder?)

Neutral Statement: Vast countryside (take it or leave it really)

Negative Statement: We feel the need to tell others that we're great, like we happen to be the youngest kid in the playground. We should just eat our PB&J and shut our collective pie-hole.

+1 Internet cookie to whoever guesses this easy query

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009

I love how the different cultures have mixed to make one kick ass country.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Norway: It's fucking expensive, cold, and too focused on material wealth. But hey, higher education is free.

OneOfTheMichael's

Jul 26, 2010
Canada.
We have basically free healthcare. No useless thing like pennys. And a fair amount of hipsters depending on where you go.
Bonus: Our moneys worth a hair more than US

Black_Reaper

Feb 11, 2013
I live in United States of America

Info: Although English is the most commonly spoken language used in the U.S. and it is the language used in government, the we have no official language.

Black_Reaper

Feb 11, 2013
BishopofAges said:

Positive Statement: Pretty interesting bits of everything (why do we make fun of Japan when we're actually weirder?)

Negative Statement: We feel the need to tell others that we're great, like we happen to be the youngest kid in the playground. We should just eat our PB&J and shut our collective pie-hole.

That's easy mister Bishop of Ages, you country of origin is the united states of America.

I want my one internet now !

spacecowboy86

Jan 7, 2010
Rylot said:
American- Fun fact ever one here has the flu right now. EVERY. FUCKING. ONE. At least in Texas. I've gotten sick three times in the last month because it's impossible to get away from everyone coughing without sealing myself in my room til summer.
Seconded. Even up here in Montana that holds true.

BishopofAges

Sep 15, 2010
Black_Reaper said:
That's easy mister Bishop of Ages, you country of origin is the united states of America.

I want my one internet now !
Indeed, a wise guess. Click spoiler for cookie

OT: Don't get me wrong, I love where I live, but we need to lose 60% of the mouth-piece types here.

edit: The flu thing is true even in Colorado-ish area

Ghaleon640

Jan 13, 2011
America, we have far too much of a lawyer culture. What people/corporations can sue for is just obscene.

Ghaleon640

Jan 13, 2011
BishopofAges said:

Very true.

Btw, love your Area 88 avatar.

BishopofAges

Sep 15, 2010
Ghaleon640 said:
Very true.

Btw, love your Area 88 avatar.
Thank you kindly, You are actually the first person to figure out where it is from, or at least the first to point it out.

Fluffythepoo

Sep 29, 2011
Mojo said:
TheBestPieEver said:
Mojo said:
Germany

We haven't invaded anyone in quite some time now...
Aren't you guys not allowed to start a war anymore?
According to our constitution we are not allowed to start a war of aggression, true.
Unless the United Nations Security Council or the United Nations Charter agrees that we should we are not allowed to use military force to disrupt peace in a country. That means that theoretically we could start a war if we were able to justify that it ensures peace somehow, but that's just theoretical.
Never knew that :0 it accutually specifies un approval in your constitution?

Canada: a place where you intinctively say sorry to the man whos just spilled coffee all over your lap

Mazza35

Jan 20, 2011
Australiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Best country on Earth, just in the summer tourists melt to the footpaths...gets in your way :/

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
Fluffythepoo said:
Never knew that :0 it accutually specifies un approval in your constitution?
Yep. To be exact is says: "The government of the Federal Republic of Germany and the German Democratic Republic agree that the united Germany shall never use its weapons, unless, with the agreement of its constitution and the United Nations Charter."

There are several other paragraphs that specify that we are not allowed to star a war of aggression and so on. As you can see it also names East and West Germany since its been in place since the end of WW2.