Say something nice about the Star Wars Prequel. If you can.

quiet_samurai

Apr 24, 2009
I actually liked the prequels, not the best trilogy mind you, but good enough for me. But I'm also not one of those people that pick apart every aspect of a movie and take it personally.

Granted there were some pretty bad parts, especially between Padme and Anakin. The "No I love you more" scene especially. But whatever....

I really loved all the battles, the political intirgue, and really except for some of the dialogue and a few scenes concerning acting, the overall plot and story was quite masterful. I loved how Anakin became that whole "fallen prince" and was tricked into evil because he wanted to do good. And you know what, I even liked the Gungans... not so much Jar-Jar, but even then I really didn't mind.

I actually like where they are going with Star Wars as far as the Old Republic universes and such, and think they should expand on that and leave the original universe alone from now on. I think when Lucas kicks the bucket we will see some pretty neat content in the Star Wars universe.

Valkaris

Jun 8, 2010
I really liked them, I grew up with them, and one of my most memorable moments was going to see Episode III opening night in the fourth grade.

theskadudeguy

Nov 19, 2010
Lionsfan said:
theskadudeguy said:
Lionsfan said:
Ewan McGregor was a great choice for a Jedi, and some of the visuals were really cool
Am I the only one who didn't like this casting choice?
What didn't you like about it? Just curious
I think it was the sheer blandness of his performance, I can't quite place my finger on it.

the trooper

Oct 17, 2009
yep thats pretty much all i really liked too. that and seeing anakin getting his legs cut off by obi-wan. it was very satisying to see

=Doc=

Jan 18, 2011
They show you how not to tell a story in a movie.

And, to quote Red Letter Media, they also show how George Lucas was getting way too much credit for creating Star Wars.

RickyRich

Nov 8, 2011
There was only one prequel I liked, and that was Episode III. It had the coolest lightsaber fight and it revealed the how Anakin became Darth Vader, which is just awesome.

The fact that Google chrome doesn't acknowledge "Anakin" and "lightsaber" as words, is bullshit.

SmoothGlover

Dec 3, 2008
I remember being in primary school (aged about 10 or 11) and my teacher showing us an early trailer for Episode I. All I openly remember about it is the image of a Trade Federation Ship landing in a forest and a bit of a Lightsaber fight.

I remember thinking that it looked like the most awesome film that had ever been made, having watched A New Hope at the cinema during one of the anniversary releases, and all three originals constantly ever since then.

So I think, to sum up. It seemed like a really cool idea. And to be honest, I liked it when I ended up seeing it. And I still quite like it to be honest. Though its easy enough to see the flaws.

And two last points:

-I personally really liked the look of the Naboo Starfighters, though I couldn't say why.

- Jake Lloyd was pretty terrible, but he was only a kid.

And actually, one more for luck:

- Anakin Skywalker had no place being in the battle of Naboo. Even as a pre-teen I remember wincing.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
keideki said:
floppylobster said:
keideki said:
Neither Han Solo nor the Falcon were in the prequels. The music was good. The light saber fights were... fast paced? That is the best I can come up with.
Hate to say it but the Falcon's in Episode III.
Ehhhhh. I've never seen it there. Where in the movie? Can you tell me what minute or so?

Okay, are you talking about this?

Cause I can't tell if that is actually THE Falcon or just another YT-1300, which was a very popular freighter design.

Okay, Wookieepedia confirms it was supposed to the the THE Falcon, although its link to the site that claims Lucas said so himself is dead.

Either way I think it hardly counts.
Don't forget E.Ts are in Episode I. So I think any thing counts.

Oh, and this is a quote from George -

"On the Internet, all those same guys that are complaining I made a change are completely changing the movie,? Lucas tells the New York Times in a new profile, referring to YouTube fans who have re-cut his films in retaliation for the small changes he has made. ?I?m saying: ?Fine. But my movie, with my name on it, that says I did it, needs to be the way I want it.??

Combine that experience with the cool reception the three ?Star Wars? prequel films received in the late 90s and early 2000s, and Lucas says he?s done making new films in the canon.

?Why would I make any more,? Lucas says, ?when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?

As much as I think they're disappointing movies I still wish he'd make more. I actually like a lot of the merchandising and games that come with a new movie (and in the movies I love the sound effects and ship designs).

I remember babysitting a kid many years ago. He'd never heard of Yoda or Darth Vader. Thanks to the prequels that's no longer the case. George can fuck with the movies, and the series, all he likes. My childhood memories of watching them are still in tact.

SycoMantis91

Dec 21, 2011
They were enjoyable. I'm sorry, but they were. I'm a huge Star Wars Nerd. IV, V, and VI are all epic classics and among my all-time movie favorites. But I liked the prequels. Yep, I dare say it. They delve a lot deeper into what exactly the Jedi and Sith are. Giving a much clearer definition than the "good" and "evil" monikers thrown out in the original trilogy. Not that I think it really needs the elaboration, but it's cool to have. Gives both sides more of a lore and gives the viewers more of an understanding of what each represents. I also think, while a little farfetched, the story of Anikin's rise and fall was if nothing else, relatable and shown in a tragic light. I don't think the tragic villain role detracts from the ruthless dictator seen in the originals like many people do.

Also, I don't mind Jar Jar. Maybe it's because I'm 20 and therefore wasn't very old when Episode 1 came out, but I thought he was funny. Not in a well-executed humor kinda way, more of a so stupid it's amusing kind of way. I know that'll nab a lot of heat, but I'm throwing that out there. I also like all the alien races in the movies. It's not a huge deal, but i like that they make the universe feel more diverse instead of just humans, twi'leks, hutts, jawas, and a couple others randomly thrown in during cantina scenes. I also think the battles, lightsaber and otherwise were more of a spectacle. I understand a lot has to do with the technological differences between the time in which each were made, but I still like it. I also like that you see so many jedi and sith. Many force wielders struggling for supremacy as opposed to only four that I can think of in the original trilogy. Again, I don't think that makes it better, but it's a unique difference that I enjoy.

I wouldn't mind seeing more Star Wars movies. Even if they go more the prequel route than the originals. Though I have always thought it'd be AWESOME to see someone like the original KOTOR team from Bioware or even the KOTOR II team from Obsidian make some full-fledged Star Wars movies. Maybe based around some of the better Expanded Universe books or even of their own design like the games.

But yea. I like the prequels, and think they get more flak than they deserve, simply for not being New Hope, or Return, or Empire. And though I'd never claim they measure up to the original trilogy, they're all solid sci-fi adventures in their own right and do more than most people realize to bring the universe in which Star Wars is set, full circle.

Talshere

Jan 27, 2010
I really quite like episode 1 and 2 when there were released. I was like 16 at the time. I never though Episode 3 was more than meh.

I would like to say that as a result I could find lots of things to like. Sadly I re watched episodes 1 and 2 in November which has soured me to them completely. They just arnt what I remembered.

Liam Neeson gives a strong performance as the wise master, but I noticed that on Boss Nass he didn't even try to negotiate just took away his free will and forced a response in his favour when he didn't necessarily need to, which is a little out of character to the Jedi idea surely. He even freed JarJar who at this point is now in breach of the law because he has violated a banishment.

Natalie Portman basically didnt act in the first film at all. Just kept a straight face and talked like she was delivering expositional. Which maybe she was at that.

I didnt really understand the need for the Gungans to go to war at the end of Ep 1. The droid forces in the city didnt seem diminished by fielding a massive army and I didnt really understand why only 1 control ship was left...

I also dont understand the Gungans tactics. The droids are flimsy and relay on weight of fire to defeat opponents. The Gungans had melee weapons and mounts....JUST CHARGE THE DRIODS! Their organised ranks shatter and they lose their only real advantage. They cant put down down fire, they have no melee capabilities excepting only the destroyers which were far and few between and the droids have all neatly line up in 1 single line of battle with noone to cover the rear of the line. Annihilate 1 full squad with a mounted charge then reform up at the back of the line and smash into them again. By doing this they even help nullify the power of the tanks as they droids showed no inclination to ignore friendly fire protocols. Its not even like the old colonial wars where charging THROUGH a unit was hard because they stood close together. The droids have a good 2-3 feet between each unit.

It had some fair epic music pieces. Ill give it that and the entrance of Darth Maul for the final battle was fairly epic.

Apart from music, Im not even going to try and find good things in ep's 2 and 3. I didnt even finish watching 3 in November. I got bored and went out.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
The non-human characters from the originals = lame and fake looking.

The non-human characters from the prequels = cool and creative designs that are fun to watch and don't look like puppets.

The same can also be said of the ships and technology.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Boy am I sick of hearing about how bad people think the prequels are. Everyone's welcome to their opinion of course, but no. Just no. The movies did very, very well and the vast majority of people had a blast watching them--that doesn't mean they are objectively good, mind, just pinting that out. I'm not some prequel fangirl up in arms to defend her franchise; I liked them and thought they were good, but I couldn't care less if someone thinks they suck. Doesn't hurt me in anyway.

But this bandwagon of 'I'm a serious Star Wars fan so I hate the prequels!' has got to stop. If you dislike them, fine. You have your opinion and that's cool. Free would for all. But it's not cool or hip or whatever else to flame the films just for the hell of it. Find a new horse, this one's dead.

/rant

Thundero13

Mar 19, 2009
I loved everything about the prequels except for all the parts that were just Anikin moping around, though since none of that was in The Phantom Menace I think that was probably the best of the six
Furthermore, Jar-Jar Binks is an awesome character =D