Say that Mankind launches two new spaceships.

May 7, 2008
Ross Perot said:
If Mankind Didn't really launch two spaceships, then why is the topic title "mankind launches two new spaceships?" Are you a games journalist in training?

also, "humankind"
it's mankind. womankind would never launch spaceships. you can't launch a ship by making me a sandwich or doing my laundry

Samwai

Jun 8, 2010
Hectix777 said:
*I'm taking this as if the 2 ships were the first of many military spacecraft by my US Navy, like they're the first of a 15-20 warship fleet

I'd name one: Armstrong and the other... Einstein

In joke terms: To The Backdoor and the other To The Front Door, and eventually the third one would be To The Endor.
twistedmic said:
I'd name them the Orville and Wilbur named after the forefathers of modern flight.
Athol said:
Yuri A. Gagarin and John H. Glenn Jr., if you dont know these names....seriouly go read a book.
I'm glad that a few people can appreciate that space-age technology has been, and always will be, products of human thought and effort, and not eventualities brought into existence more quickly by science-fiction writers. With that said:

Newton and Einstein

There might have been scientists more worthy, and I'd love to see them posted, but I don't know Gauss from Euler, so these are my picks.

ilion

Aug 20, 2009
MMMMMMMMMM.. I have some ideas. Samsu and Ki. Sun and earth in Sumerian. or Hyperion and Brunhild, out of respect for The legend of the galactic heroes.lol

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
I say they should be called:

Perseus (symbolising the overcoming of previously unbeatable adversity, and great determination)
and
Pegasus (Perseus' steed, also symbolizing wisdom, and the spiritual energy allowing us access to Mount Olympus. Effectively the gateway to the gods).

There, you want thought out names, you got 'em.

Randomologist

Aug 6, 2008
Samwai said:
*Snip*
I'm glad that a few people can appreciate that space-age technology has been, and always will be, products of human thought and effort, and not eventualities brought into existence more quickly by science-fiction writers. With that said:

Newton and Einstein

There might have been scientists more worthy, and I'd love to see them posted, but I don't know Gauss from Euler, so these are my picks.
I'm sure most of us understand that the work of scientists such as Newton and Einstein is crucial to everyday practicalities in science and engineering, but I don't think that other names necessarily imply an ignorance of science, nor indeed a glorification of popular culture. I do however like the idea of Newton and Einstein, a fleet could be expanded to Tesla, Galileo etc.

masterchevyman

May 9, 2009
I don't know about the second but I believe the first should be called Manifest Destiny Which was what the push to settle the American west was called, maybe I am tainted being a Yank myself but I see it fitting, Americans start setting the great wilds of their west, humanity starts setting the unknowns of space.

Tilted_Logic

Apr 2, 2010
I'd say Serenity but that's been mentioned a bunch already...
Asimov and Clarke are about the only sci fi writers that come to mind with names that sound imposing enough to be used for spacecraft. Too bad Norton and Heinlein don't have the same ring :/

I do however like the suggestions mentioned earlier, the Daedalus and the Icarus. Too much Stargate love :p

FollowUp

Mar 25, 2010
The Indestructible Philharmonic
And just in case that one sounds nonsensey enough, the second backup is The Redundancy Plan.

MegaR

May 24, 2010
i would call it The Escapist.
and uuhm The Escapist 2!

yeah i suck at making names