Sayings you dont understand

Llil

Jul 24, 2008
TheDarkEricDraven said:
"The exception that proves the rule". What the fuck does that mean? If its an exception, it doesn't prove anything!
As a maths major, this one really annoys me. An exception DISPROVES a rule dammit!

Anyway mine is "Third time's the charm". I know the number 3 comes up in all kinds of old stories and such, but why 3? Why not 2 or 4 for example?

berettastorm88

Apr 2, 2011
Kiefer13 said:
This is more just a mistake rather than an actual saying, but I *really* don't understand why some people feel that the phrase "I could care less" (rather than "I couldn't care less") actually makes sense.

David Mitchell explains it better than I.
<YOUTUBE=om7O0MFkmpw>
"i could care less", i get were you and that guy are coming from i never understood what that statement was implying either. but to my understanding, i could care less doesn't necessarily mean that you don't care at all, but could also mean that you don't have much of an opinion on the matter.

my example, i friend asks if you would like to go to chilies for lunch.
you think, "chilies is pretty good but I'm not to hungry" meaning it would be nice to go but you don't feel you really want to go. so you can reply "i could care less."
meaning i care that it would be good food, but you don't care to much because your not hungry.

but for the most part people use that statement to try to show that they do not care at all,
which is incorrect.

berettastorm88

Apr 2, 2011
Dango said:
"Sells like hotcakes."

What are hotcakes and why do they sell so well?
hot cakes are pretty much just pancakes (i have no idea who decided to name them differently)
pancakes I'm sure you have had so, i would assume most people love pancakes so now knowing what hotcakes are this one should be pretty self explanatory :)

A Werewolf

Jun 27, 2011
"It was in the last place I looked"

Well hopefully if you found it, you wouldn't continue looking for it...

Vykrel said:
"a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"

what?...
That one confused me as well

I asked and was told it pretty much means 1 bird you have for sure is better than 2 bird you might possibly catch.

DMac the Knife

Mar 24, 2010
Xealeon said:
"As easy as pie"
I never understood that, pie isn't that easy. I mean, unless you're just filling a pie tin with cream, but that just seems like cheating.
Pie is the easiest meal to make. You just chop up the meat and veg, and pop it between two crusts. Viola!

The one I don't get is "She's no better than she should be." If you're no better than you should be, then you should be just as good as you should be. However, the implication is that you are less than you should be. Why not just say that?

MMSouthpawVIII

Sep 5, 2008
Mr.PlanetEater said:
"The enemy of my enemy is my friend." I have never been able to grasp this concept, I mean its sound on paper I suppose. But when you apply it in real life its really flawed logic, just because you have an enemy that has another enemy doesn't mean you and enemy of your enemy should be buddies. For all you know enemy of your enemy is also your enemy, but you guys both just happen to have a common enemy.
I'm betting someone else has answered this but I like this comic http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2202#comic

Akytalusia said:
"it's raining cats and dogs" never made a lick of sense to me. anyone care to explain?
I just always think of it like this http://www.explosm.net/comics/2215/

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
Donttazemehbro said:
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. What?!
a garentee is better than a gamble. 2 birds in a bush is a gamble cause you might catch them or they might fly away.

MrTiki

Dec 6, 2010
It is "the exception DISproves the rule" it means that because there is an exception, it is not a rule

CDNLP

Jun 28, 2011
Er, I actually think you mean "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." What that means is that having caught 1 bird in your hand, is just as valuable as 2 birds in the bush. Basically, having something of lesser value in your possession is worth more than risking it for something more valuable.

Neonit

Dec 24, 2008
MrTiki said:
It is "the exception DISproves the rule" it means that because there is an exception, it is not a rule

to have exceptions you MUST have a rule. otherwise its not an exception, now is it?

ex·cep·tion/ik&#712;sepSH&#601;n/
Noun: A person or thing that is excluded from a general statement or does not follow a rule

if something has an exception, then its a rule because everything (besides said exception) follows the rule.

MrTiki

Dec 6, 2010
It means that it is better to have accomplished one goal than to have two unfinished goals

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
"Welcome to the Escapist (that part I get). Stay out of the Basement"

WHAT IS THE BASEMENT!!? WHY will No-one TELL me!! >:'(

MrTiki

Dec 6, 2010
Not necessarily. For example, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. That is a rule. There is no exception to it, and yet it is still a rule. If there was an exception to it, then it would disprove the rule.

Neonit

Dec 24, 2008
MrTiki said:
Not necessarily. For example, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. That is a rule. There is no exception to it, and yet it is still a rule. If there was an exception to it, then it would disprove the rule.

yes, im just saying that if something has an EXCEPTION then the rest of it is a rule. im not saying that all rules have exceptions.

this saying exist only because of definition of word exception. exception means that one (or few) things dont follow the rule, but that there is one thus proving the rule.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
GrizzlerBorno said:
"Welcome to the Escapist (that part I get). Stay out of the Basement"

WHAT IS THE BASEMENT!!? WHY will No-one TELL me!! >:'(
Dude, you don't want to know. DON'T GO THERE. Trust me.

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
Kiefer13 said:
This is more just a mistake rather than an actual saying, but I *really* don't understand why some people feel that the phrase "I could care less" (rather than "I couldn't care less") actually makes sense.
Yeah "I could care less" is often misused.
Originally it showed you don't particularly care, but you could care a lot less then you actually do, thus meaning there is SOME interest involved.

I personally use it as a way of conveying that although I don't really care at the moment, I'd get into a conversation about it if you wanted me to.

"So what do you think of Windows 8?"
"Eh, I could care less..."

MrTiki

Dec 6, 2010
neonit said:
MrTiki said:

yes, im just saying that if something has an EXCEPTION then the rest of it is a rule. im not saying that all rules have exceptions.

this saying exist only because of definition of word exception. exception means that one (or few) things dont follow the rule, but that there is one thus proving the rule.
However, I have not heard it said that the exception proves the rule, because if it is an exception, then it goes against the rule. I have only ever heard it said that the exception disproves the rule