Sayings you dont understand

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
Ironic Pirate said:
Except that "I could care less" still makes sense as a saying, just a different meaning. It's for when you have a tiny little bit of caring, but not much. For example, a tv show you watched a couple times and moderately enjoyed gets cancelled. You care very slightly. You could care less, but not much.
Only if you personally interpret it in that way, which makes it a highly subjective viewpoint, considering the phrasing. When just looking at the phrasing itself, it doesn't make sense because the statement is simply that you could care less. The degree of which is not specified or implied at all.

gazumped

Dec 1, 2010
Pyroguekenesis said:
"I've had it up to here"
_
|
|
|
|
|
- I dunno....somewhere around that distance? I still don't get it..
I think the idea of this is that a person's so angry, they're about to boil over. Like a thermometer heating up with rage until it explodes at the top.

ToxicOranges said:
New and Improved.
Isn't this only used with updated versions of things? As in "this is a new version, and we've improved the product since the last version!"

The Cheezy One said:
A bit off topic, but 'Alls well that ends well' is supposed to be a kind of optimistic, happy feeling thing, whereas 'The end justifies the means' is some kind of evil way of saying that you sacrifice anything for your own end, though when you think about it, they both mean the same thing - that if everything has worked out by the end of the day, then the events of the day don't matter.
The difference here is that "All's well that ends well" suggests that it might have been a rocky journey, but it's over now and everyone's happy so no worries. "The ends justifies the means" suggests that the rocky journey was a product of someone doing something bad or questionable, like risking a load of people's lives in order to save some other people's lives, so everyone might be happy in the end but they're sure going to feel dodgy about that guy from then on.
Edit: To clarify that last one, the word "means" suggests there was reasoning and action behind the unpleasantness, whereas the other saying doesn't necessarily imply that the unpleasantness was anyone's fault.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
lisadagz said:
The Cheezy One said:
A bit off topic, but 'Alls well that ends well' is supposed to be a kind of optimistic, happy feeling thing, whereas 'The end justifies the means' is some kind of evil way of saying that you sacrifice anything for your own end, though when you think about it, they both mean the same thing - that if everything has worked out by the end of the day, then the events of the day don't matter.
The difference here is that "All's well that ends well" suggests that it might have been a rocky journey, but it's over now and everyone's happy so no worries. "The ends justifies the means" suggests that the rocky journey was a product of someone doing something bad or questionable, like risking a load of people's lives in order to save some other people's lives, so everyone might be happy in the end but they're sure going to feel dodgy about that guy from then on.
Edit: To clarify that last one, the word "means" suggests there was reasoning and action behind the unpleasantness, whereas the other saying doesn't necessarily imply that the unpleasantness was anyone's fault.
Good point. I'll have to rethink my view on these sayings

Jaythulhu

Jun 19, 2008
vxicepickxv said:
Jaythulhu said:
The term cracker in the American lexicon is a reference to a white person who could be a descendant of a slave owner. Slave owners used whips, and they would crack the whip. A cracker would be someone who cracks the whip.

Thank you. How... entirely inappropriate as a description for a white Aussie. We were convicts, not slave owners :p

MrTiki

Dec 6, 2010
Andrew Pate said:
MrTiki said:
Not necessarily. For example, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. That is a rule. There is no exception to it, and yet it is still a rule. If there was an exception to it, then it would disprove the rule.
Tachyons
Tachyons are theoretical, as in they have not yet been found. If they were found though, it would indicate that conventional particle physics is incorrect and could lead to various paradoxes. Either way, I was simply using it as an example, even though, at least hypothetically, you are correct :p

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
MrTiki said:
Not necessarily. For example, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. That is a rule. There is no exception to it, and yet it is still a rule. If there was an exception to it, then it would disprove the rule.
Nothing can be accelerated to faster than the speed of light. That's not to say that things which are already travelling faster than the speed of light can't travel faster than the speed of light, e.g. hypothesised
Andrew Pate said:

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Some of the explanations suggested in this thread for the exception that proves the rule while and interesting are actually wrong.

Wikipedia has a good summary (yeah I know, validity as a source, blah, blah)
The phrase is derived from the medieval Latin legal principle exceptio probat regulam in casibus non exceptis ("the exception confirms the rule in cases not excepted"), a concept first proposed by Cicero in his defense of Lucius Cornelius Balbus[1]. This means a stated exception implies the existence of a rule to which it is the exception. The second part of Cicero's phrase, "in casibus non exceptis" or "in cases not excepted," is almost always missing from modern uses of the statement that "the exception proves the rule," which may contribute to frequent confusion and misuse of the phrase.

Fowler's Modern English Usage gives the following example of the original meaning:

Special leave is given for men to be out of barracks tonight till 11.00 p.m.; "The exception proves the rule" means that this special leave implies a rule requiring men, except when an exception is made, to be in earlier. The value of this in interpreting statutes is plain.

In other words, a legal exception implies that something is normally not excluded.

[1] http://alt-usage-english.org/exception_proves.html

May 29, 2011
When people put "honestly" in front of a sentence. What have they been dishonest in the previous one? Do they normally lie everything they say?

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
chach_face said:
"Made to order"
It is meant to imply that the food is only cooked after you order it. Made to order, literally, means it is already made and then you can order it.
"Not made until you order it" would be a more apt saying
It's a matter or perspective. If you think made to measure, it's made to a measurement. Made to order means made to your order, ie. Cheeseburger with extra pickles. They make a cheeseburger to that order. (Even though you're crazy for wanting pickles.)

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
Jaythulhu said:
vxicepickxv said:
Jaythulhu said:
The term cracker in the American lexicon is a reference to a white person who could be a descendant of a slave owner. Slave owners used whips, and they would crack the whip. A cracker would be someone who cracks the whip.

Thank you. How... entirely inappropriate as a description for a white Aussie. We were convicts, not slave owners :p
i always thought that black people needed a better insult for white people. like every other race seems to have a good insult for them but for white people the best seems to be cracker. that just seems lame to me.

Jaythulhu

Jun 19, 2008
Merkavar said:
Jaythulhu said:
vxicepickxv said:
Jaythulhu said:

i always thought that black people needed a better insult for white people. like every other race seems to have a good insult for them but for white people the best seems to be cracker. that just seems lame to me.
On the flip side of the same coin, mate, I've never understood the slur "******" either. Is it a bastardisation of Negro? Some other term condensed? For all the information available on the internet, some things are severely lacking in detail. Anyhoo, reckon ya could come up with a better slur for us whiteys? honkee and cracker are really... well... stupid, in my mind.

Buzz Killington_v1legacy

Likes Good Stories About Bridges
Aug 8, 2009
Jaythulhu said:
On the flip side of the same coin, mate, I've never understood the slur "******" either.
1786, earlier neger (1568, Scot. and northern England dialect), from Fr. nègre, from Sp. negro (see Negro). From the earliest usage it was "the term that carries with it all the obloquy and contempt and rejection which whites have inflicted on blacks" [cited in Gowers, 1965]. But as black inferiority was at one time a near universal assumption in Eng.-speaking lands, the word in some cases could be used without deliberate insult. More sympathetic writers late 18c. and early 19c. seem to have used black (n.) and, after the American Civil War, colored person. Also applied by Eng. settlers to dark-skinned native peoples in India, Australia, Polynesia. The reclamation of the word as a neutral or positive term in black culture, often with a suggestion of "soul" or "style," is attested first in the Amer. South, later (1968) in the Northern, urban-based Black Power movement.

--Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
Not sure if its been metioned.

right as rain

rain is rarely right. its all messy getting blown in the wind causing floods etc