Scariest Moment in Gaming?

Wheatley

Feb 12, 2011
My personal one is the mid-way level in Fable 3. Despite the silliness of the rest of the series, being trapped in that cave with what you find in there and Walter being attacked is honestly horrifying. What's your scariest moment?

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
There's a part in Silent Hill 3 that got me so bad I literally fell off of my bed. No, it wasn't the manequin part. I'm talking about the part in the amusement park where you meet "Danny." Oh man...jumped so bad.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
The haunted hotel in VtM:B. Whoever did the sound design for that section is a master

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Comment removed due to spoilers and I think I misread the thread title.

The Dunwich building.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
erttheking said:
I gotta say Mordin's death in Mass Effect 3, the only moment in gaming that I remember crying at...stupid hyperactive son of a *****...why?
I felt that they messed it up by having him sing.

Having him hum a tune was fine. It showed that he was completely relaxed and at peace with what he was about to do, but the singing was just silly. It felt like fan service. "Hey, remember this?!"

Incidentally, have you seen what happens if you betray him and the Krogan and fail to talk him down? It's brutal. Oh yeah, and then Wrex finds out...

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
The damn Giant Ants in Fallout 3... That scuttling sound that they make really scares me. Yes they're low level but they are fucking scary when you don't know where they are.

That one dungeon near Megaton, the school that has a nest of them underneath it. I fucking had to leg it out of there in a blind panic just because I couldn't find the last few ants that were making that infernal noise.

Probably because they just made the noise continue anyway after all the ants are dead just to freak you out. It was an entire nest of them after all.

Also Mirelurks, fucking scary bastards. Yet I oddly enjoyed the mission where you have to sneak into a lair to plant a beacon amongst their eggs without killing any of them. Y'know a Mirelurk hater's worst nightmare. Funny that.

I think good scary sections in non-horror games are worse than the scares in actual horror games. Like you don't expect it to just go bam! Scary section activate! At least in horror games you know what you're getting yourself into.

Wheatley

Feb 12, 2011
The Wykydtron said:
The damn Giant Ants in Fallout 3... That scuttling sound that they make really scares me. Yes they're low level but they are fucking scary when you don't know where they are.

That one dungeon near Megaton, the school that has a nest of them underneath it. I fucking had to leg it out of there in a blind panic just because I couldn't find the last few ants that were making that infernal noise.

Probably because they just made the noise continue anyway after all the ants are dead just to freak you out. It was an entire nest of them after all.

Also Mirelurks, fucking scary bastards. Yet I oddly enjoyed the mission where you have to sneak into a lair to plant a beacon amongst their eggs without killing any of them. Y'know a Mirelurk hater's worst nightmare. Funny that.

I think good scary sections in non-horror games are worse than the scares in actual horror games. Like you don't expect it to just go bam! Scary section activate! At least in horror games you know what you're getting yourself into.
I gotta agree with you here, I cannot stand the Ant Queen, won't even do the quest anymore.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Zhukov said:
erttheking said:
I gotta say Mordin's death in Mass Effect 3, the only moment in gaming that I remember crying at...stupid hyperactive son of a *****...why?

Having him hum a tune was fine. It showed that he was completely relaxed and at peace with what he was about to do, but the singing was just silly. It felt like fan service. "Hey, remember this?!"

Incidentally, have you seen what happens if you betray him and the Krogan and fail to talk him down? It's brutal. Oh yeah, and then Wrex finds out...
I got the other one, where he says "Genophage cured...new future...for us all."

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
erttheking said:
Zhukov said:
erttheking said:

Wait... what?

How did you do that?

WHAT IS YOUR SECRET?!

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Zhukov said:
erttheking said:
Zhukov said:
erttheking said:

Wait... what?

How did you do that?

WHAT IS YOUR SECRET?!
I have no idea how the game decided which one you get.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Scariest moment ever? So this is bound to be pretty personal, but two titles scared the shit out of me when I was younger. The first Quake, and System Shock 2.

Oh, man, those possessed guys with the tweaked voices who moaned nonsense at you while hitting you with a steam pipe... I was fucking traumatized, I swear.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Non-horror-game examples:

"What can change the nature of a man?"

Assembling a fresh batch of rookies around a downed sectoid ship, not knowing if you've got enough meat to jam up the grinder.

"Don't trust the skull."

"ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU. RUN WHILE YOU CAN."

The sound of a poison headcrab (even though I have never, ever died as the result of one).

Hipsy_Gypsy

Jun 2, 2011
Wheatley said:
My personal one is the mid-way level in Fable 3. Despite the silliness of the rest of the series, being trapped in that cave with what you find in there and Walter being attacked is honestly horrifying. What's your scariest moment?
I'm happy to find that I'm not the only big-ass pansy who found that even a little terrifying :D

The Path's atmosphere is quite scary. When you wander into the woods and heart beat starts going, or if you are readily approaching your wolf of that level. Play it at night.

illas

RAWR!!!
Apr 4, 2010
The first monster in Amnesia: The Dark Descent; and every subsequent monster encounter.

Being unable to fight back (at all) increases the terror by several magnitudes, to the extent that I had to stop frequently because my hands were shaking too hard and my nerves were wrecked.

Hipsy_Gypsy

Jun 2, 2011
illas said:
The first monster in Amnesia: The Dark Descent; and every subsequent monster encounter.

Being unable to fight back (at all) increases the terror by several magnitudes, to the extent that I had to stop frequently because my hands were shaking too hard and my nerves were wrecked.
If it makes you feel better, dear:

Captcha: 'teh inter webs'

Oh, and also Ao Oni whenever you're trying to run away from the Ao Oni. Sob.

David Bjur

Hazy sucks, Daystar Moreso
Nov 21, 2011
erttheking said:
Thanks alot for the spoiler.

OT: Let's see, almost every single second of the Condemned demo? Whenever I wasn't fighting, I could hear how I were surrounded, and one step in the wrong direction would get me attacked.
That was scary as h*ll.

Swifty714

Jun 1, 2011
The first Max Payne game, where you are drugged and having a nightmare fueled by your own imagination.

That was pretty fucked up.

In Fallout 3's expansion, Point lookout. The part where you are once again drugged (reaccuring theme) and have a pretty fucked up dream.

In addition to that warehouse room full of those creepy-ass manaquin doll heads. Their was mines hidden under the sea of them, adding to the tension.

Other than that? Being an 8 year old me seeing resident evil 2's licker for the first time.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Recently I was playing Metro 2033 where you have to go above the surface and fight Nazi Rangers. I killed one on a catwalk with my silenced carbine and slaughtered a bunch with my Kalash as they were coming down. I could hear there was one left but I didn't know where to find him. I looked everywhere but I couldn't find him.

As I continued the search my friend beside me accidentally triggered a very, very loud song on a webpage he was viewing and I nearly broke my keyboard in half.

Scariest ever? Metroid Fusion was so scary for me as a kid that I traded away the game so I wouldn't have to face the SA-X again. That game got under my skin.

And, there is always...

That song always freaked me out as a kid and even now, years later, I still feel anxious hearing it.

SargentToughie

Jun 14, 2008
"This door leads to Ravenholm... we don't go there anymore."

Guess where you're going 4 or 5 hours later?