Scariest movie you've seen.

Bezz_Ad

Apr 4, 2011
I'd say "Noroi", I hardly get scared when watching movies, but that one did it for me. .

KingCrInuYasha

Jan 17, 2011
Se7en. Truly one of the most twisted films I've ever seen....

....unless you count some of the D-movies from the Syfy channel.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
ALIEN.

If I could go back to any three times in history, one would be to shout "DUCK MR LINCOLN!"
One would be to shout "DUCK MR KENEDY!"
And one would be to record the first audiences reaction to that infamous scene in theater...

I mean that trailer was gold! It showed you nothing to wet your intrest, then it gave you a movie bursting at the seams with horror.

EDIT: Aww.. emmbedding isn't working... all well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojhGdRSkiUw

York_Beckett

Sep 23, 2010
Jacob's Ladder was very psychologically frightening, as well as having several creepy undertones lingering around the story. Also, it happens to be my favourite movie of all time.

When I was younger, I was very frightened by a film called Darkness. While the movie wasn't that great in general, it was pretty damn creepy to watch.

Then there is Misery. It was pretty terrifying, as you never really knew when the villain could become completely psychotic and not.

Also, R-Point was pretty disturbing...

EmpressZombiKitty

Mar 27, 2011
The Poltergeist is definitely up there. If you've seen it...you know what scene I'm talking about.Man I jumped almost out of my seat! I was younger though. I haven't really been scared in awhile, since I watch a LOT of scary horror movies. The game Amnesia scared me.

Unnerving, however, I would basically add anything by the director Takashi Miike. I don't know where he imagine's his torture scenes up, but it makes Hostel and Saw seem weak. It has made me physically cringe and turn away. They aren't the whole movie, like Saw and Hostel though, just a part of his MindFUUU movies.

Onihoshi

Feb 1, 2009
When I was young the first Alien scared me so much I couldn't sleep :p my mum didn't let me horrors until I got older. But then they stopped scaring me, they became predictable and only startle me, not scare.

My last scare was on the Korean Shutter. That movie scared me so much i refused to leave my friends place until the sun came up. Nowadays I prefer movies that disturb me like old boy, human centipede, or Imprint from the masters of horror series.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Probably 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Only movie to ever genuinely get to me and really creep me out.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I think I'll agree with some people and say REC.
SHAME THEY NEVER MADE A SEQUEL TO IT.

Shoqiyqa

Mar 31, 2009
redisforever said:
The scariest movie that is good that I saw was Jurassic Park, again I was about 10. Never really watched it again. Was planning to, got the book, read about 10 pages...and no. No. That baby! If you read it, you'll know.
Oh, you're missing out on the "counting velociraptors" scene.

TheXRatedDodo

Jan 7, 2009
badgersprite said:
Probably 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Only movie to ever genuinely get to me and really creep me out.
I watched this for the first time recently. I drank 3 glasses of Absinthe, got fairly stoned and spent the length of the film literally glued to the sofa, unable to move, experiencing the film as though I were in it, feeling those atmospheres. The sensation of being THERE at the dawn of time, as though I have seen this before, the sense of familiarity...
Powerful, intense, enlightening and frightening all at once.
What a wonderful, wonderful film.

So yeah, either 2001: A Space Odyssey or David Lynch's Inland Empire. If you haven't watched Inland Empire than you do not really know the definition of fear.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Shoqiyqa said:
redisforever said:
The scariest movie that is good that I saw was Jurassic Park, again I was about 10. Never really watched it again. Was planning to, got the book, read about 10 pages...and no. No. That baby! If you read it, you'll know.
Oh, you're missing out on the "counting velociraptors" scene.
Do I want to know about it? Really?

VaudevillianVeteran

No Comment Necessary.
Sep 19, 2009
razor343 said:
The Room. Tommy Wiseau gets a prize for being the scariest monster ever.

OT: I'll be honest, I don't actually know... I don't scare easily, but thinking in terms of favourite horror movies, The Thing is just awesome. Everything about it made me think 'wow' and definitely holds centrepiece as one of the best.

EDIT:
Bezz_Ad said:
I'd say "Noroi", I hardly get scared when watching movies, but that one did it for me. .
Or this. Noroi is simply fantastic.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
I started watching horror movies when I was about 5. None of them really scare me that much (I saw Halloween, The Thing , Friday the 13th, Omen, the Exorcist etc. when I was 6 and to me, they weren't scary).
The only movie that has ever scared me was "Evil Dead". I think I was about 7 when I saw it.
Anyway, the thing that scared me was when people were attacked by something and we were watching these attacks from the perspective of that something. The way it was shot really gave me chills. Plus, we never got to see what the damn thing looks like.
It took me a good couple of months to get over it.
Recently?
I guess "the Grudge" (Japanese version, of course) was a bit creepy but you have to watch it alone during the night.

Dark Harbinger

Apr 8, 2011
razor343 said:
The Room. Tommy Wiseau gets a prize for being the scariest monster ever.
This
This
This
This
THIS!

It's even worse when he gets out of bed, you can see his horrible butt! *suffers a mental trauma*

hypermage

Feb 13, 2010
Several notable contenders in the atmospherics and aesthetics vein all the hipsters go for these days including but not limited to, The Ring (the original), Inland Empire, lots of Hitchcock, Jacob's Ladder and any Korean black comedy. Very intense cinema, one and all.

Slightly off topic, but System Shock 2 is probably my scariest experience in terms of conventional horror. Its certainly closer than any films I've seen; as far as those go The Thing, Alien and maybe Jaws are the closest I've seen in that regard.

Specific scenes? The old lady in the bath from The Shining, Irreversible (those who've seen it will know which two scenes I'm thinking of) and the last third or so of Audition.

Mr.Mattress said:
Also, the Marble Hornet Series is pretty scary.
This. Never has watching very little happening been so bloody terrifying.

SCAFC Chimp

Jan 6, 2010
Shoqiyqa said:
John Carpenter's The Thing [http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thing-DVD-Kurt-Russell/dp/B00004D07X/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1302886934&sr=1-1], easily.

I think Alien and Jaws get the honourable mentions, and not necessarily in that order. Jaws would have been shite, but the rubber shark kept breaking down so all the cheesy underwater footage of a rubber shark they'd been planning to use had to be replaced with shark's-eye-view approaches and footage of open, seemingly empty, ocean, and that was scary.
The Thing is an amazing film. I don't think I've ever seen a film use both paranoia and gore so effectively.
Alien is up there, as is The Thing. The first Nightmare on Elm Street got to me as a child, although it was more the concept than the film itself.