Scariest sounds in games

Mooglesniper

Sep 23, 2011
Hmm, this is very much situation I guess but I think a big daddy's angered groan when you've usd up all your health and ammo on the splicers

Mount

Jul 7, 2011
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Every RTS feeling hates this sound...

"Warning: Nuclear Launch Detected"

Oh... balls...
I once managed to freak MYSELF out with that one. "OMGWT... wait, that's MY missile..." <_<

Hiname said:
I can't believe this wassn't mentioned before...

Fatal Frame / Project zero 1. The blind woman.

Imagine a woman with a blood-soaked blindfold stumbling through the room, moaning and whimpering, aimlessly stumbling past you. until you take a single, audible step, causing her to turn around and charge at you with full speed screaming "MY EEEYES!!" ... Yeah, that ***** made me freeze every time.
Ohhh yeah... it's been a while since I played that game, but I want to say the long-armed ghost makes some horrible noises too... I've blanked it from my memory. Something about crying for its children? "Give baaack! GIVE BAACK!!" Oh yeah, and the child ghosts, crawling on the floor and giggling and [a heref="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDZ9e1__zEo"]asking you to play with them.[/a] (skip to 2:45) D:

And speaking of children, how about [a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McMyasj_0gg"]the horrible little ones from Dead Space 2[/a]??

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
God damn anything in System Shock 2. The Midwives in particuler. God damn. I can't play that game before bed basically. Also, the damn Pack necromorphs in Dead Space 2. I start shaking like a little girl.
...oh wait.

Sunset Rose

Oct 3, 2011
Anything out of place, dead silence and the Half Life zombie screams all scare the f*** out of me D:

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
The sound of the motion-tracker in AVP2. You just know that some serious shit is about to get down.

aaronobst

Needs a life
Aug 20, 2010
Skip to 1:42 <youtube=UFf60ECWpzU>

Not exactly SCARY per se but for me it was very ominous and unsettling, a truly amazing piece of music

Ahura Mainyu

Mar 26, 2011
The sound of the regenerators in RE4 scares me to death. Even just thinking about the noises they make freaks me out... Also every noise Nemesis made in RE3 terrified me. Whether it was his cry of "S.T.A.R.S!" or that roaring noise he made the guy always had me scared out of my mind.

Carbonyl

Jun 2, 2011
I have a deep, instinctual fear of the sound that Husks make in ME2. It terrifies me so much that I get scared before it even happens, and refuse to move forward without having both of my squadmates and a combat drone ahead of me when I know there are going to be husks.

They are terrifying, relentless, and the fact that they feel nothing and have no concept of fear or pain... it's horrifying. They don't stop until you destroy them. They don't act like anything you have ever come across, and although they look vaguely human, they are devoid of humanity. Husks are a violent, vicious emptiness that you're forced to look into as you race to destroy before it surrounds you and beats you to death as you struggle against it. The noise they make is a hollow, empty moan that almost sounds familiar, like it could be grasping at life. But it's not, they're not grasping at life, they're grasping at you. No purpose, no feeling, no concepts, no thoughts, no emotion, no drive, not even instincts. They are nothing. Their groans are gaping, empty, meaningless sounds. No thing is as terrifying as nothingness, how can you bear to look into something that does not look back, cannot look back, has nothing to look back with? It will not react, it does not stop, it cannot yield. Their howls consume silence, swallow it, rip it from you.

They are my worst fears made manifest. And their noise is enough to get me all poetical, so that's pretty damn scary.

Maeta

Jun 8, 2011
Any sound in Penumbra... the anticipation of playing that game, then playing it at 4am... and the wind... :O
Also, the cries of headcrab victims in HL2 when you actually decipher what they're saying, and how they say it... it, err... it messed me up for a while... a good way of stopping sleep