Scarlett Johansson Controls The Universe in First Trailer For Lucy

Rutskarn

Feb 20, 2010
chikusho said:
Rutskarn said:
And when she pushes back, she's brutalized by physical violence into crying and cowering some
I don't know if you watched the trailer, but to me it looks more like: When she pushes back, she becomes a cold, calculated efficient and brutal superhuman machine that will slowly evolve into a god.
Right--because of the external infusion of powers.

To put it another way:

STANDARD SUPERHERO NARRATIVE

Confident person with internal resources who's in a bad spot + Appropriate powers = Confident superhero with internal and external resources

LUCY APPARENTLY:

Scared brutalized victim + Appropriate powers = Confident superhero with internal and external resources

It's a subtle difference, but an important one.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
Rutskarn said:
chikusho said:
Rutskarn said:
And when she pushes back, she's brutalized by physical violence into crying and cowering some
I don't know if you watched the trailer, but to me it looks more like: When she pushes back, she becomes a cold, calculated efficient and brutal superhuman machine that will slowly evolve into a god.
Right--because of the external infusion of powers.

To put it another way:

STANDARD SUPERHERO NARRATIVE

Confident person with internal resources who's in a bad spot + Appropriate powers = Confident superhero with internal and external resources

LUCY APPARENTLY:

Scared brutalized victim + Appropriate powers = Confident superhero with internal and external resources

It's a subtle difference, but an important one.
I don't know, man. The whole point of Spider-man is that he's nothing but a weepy kid before he gets his powers. Daredevil, Shazaam and Batman are actual weepy kids before they turn into super heroes. At least half of the gallery of X-Men superhumans are weepy kids before they develop their powers.
In fact, most super hero stories seem, to me at least, to be about dealing with the external infusion of power caused by a seemingly random event.

Also, Lucy seems to be more a revenge fantasy than a superhero origin story.