Scarlett Johansson Controls The Universe in First Trailer For Lucy

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Scarlett Johansson Controls The Universe in First Trailer For Lucy

The Avengers and Winter Soldier femme fatale finally gets her solo superhero movie... just not as Black Widow.

Scarlett Johansson has a big weekend ahead of her, returning for a third go-'round as Black Widow in Captain America: The Winter Soldier [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133224-Captain-America-The-Winter-Soldier-Featurette-Spoils-the-Movie] and starring in the arthouse alien sex-vampire oddity Under The Skin. Now, we also have the first trailer for her new star-vehicle Lucy, a scifi/superhero/gangster action-thriller written and directed by Luc Besson.

Set in the near future, Johansson plays a young woman being forced to smuggle illegal drugs in her stomach by gangsters. Things go bad and the bags containing the narcotics rupture inside her and flood into her bloodstream. Instead of killing her, the chemical cocktail "unlocks the untapped percentage of the human brain" (scifi movies will never stop loving that particular science-myth), granting Lucy superhuman reflexes, smarts, telekinesis and the apparent ability to bend reality itself to her will. In an interesting modern touch, this is visualized by her being able to "swipe" through the world like everything is a giant iPad.

So, it's Limitless meets Besson's own La Femme Nikita. I've heard worse ideas. Lucy opens in U.S. theaters August 8.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Meh, I like her better as a red-head. :p

On a more related note, I find it sad that you can string together a description like "scifi/superhero/gangster action-thriller" and all I can think is "Seen it before a dozen times."

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
rhizhim said:
no, not you morgan freeman!
we use more than just 10% of our brains even if the guys that wrote the story may prove otherwise..

i have the feeling that this is a test if she could lead as sole action protagonist before we see her black widdowness on screen.

also she may have a huge pack of LSD in her tummy.
I get the impression that whoever wrote this (and is perpetuating the % brain use stuff) may have had a huge pack of LSD in their tummy. Probably ingested orally rather than surgically though.

FancyNick

Mar 4, 2013
But but... that's not how that works...

Oh well, It seems kinda cool and I am a fan of both Scarlett Johansson and Morgan Freeman so it might get pass. I'll wait and see.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Oh dear, not the "unlocking the untapped percentage of the human brain gives us superpowers"-trope again. It was fucking stupid the last time I saw a movie about it and it's still fucking stupid.

Siiiigh.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
The "10% of the brain" BS dropped my interest in this movie substantially. Which is saying something, since it would take some seriously lousy decisions to take this basic premise, with Scarlett Johansson and Morgan Freeman, to not be awesome in my eyes.

Meh, I'll wait for reviews. Not writing it off, but that sorta killed my excitement. If they're stupid enough to write that in as a main plot point, what else were they dumb enough to do?

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
The entire premise of this movie is defeated by the very real part of the human body called the blood brain barrier. There is no way any drugs (well street drugs anyway, some more specific drugs can get through) in someone's blood stream can get into the brain the body is physically designed to prevent this.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Yeah, everyone is probably going to mention this but try scooping out "90%" of your brain, then tell me we don't need all of it.

It seems like such a small thing to nit-pick about but I thought that myth was widely debunked years ago. If this was done in the 80's, 90's or maybe even early 00's it could work but we're all aware at this point that the whole "unlocking ALL of our brain power" is bullshit, right?

Maybe it could still be good. Ironically, I would probably have to switch off my higher brain functions to enjoy this kind of plot but I'm not going to say boo just yet.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
We don't use more than 10% at the time, but we do use all the mass. More use at the time will lead to more use at the time, not superpowers. Also, can they end up with some lame superpowers for once, instead of the typical stoff.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
So basically, we get to see Scarlett Johansson turn into Dr. Manhattan?

*EDIT*
Angelous Wang said:
The entire premise of this movie is defeated by the very real part of the human body called the blood brain barrier. There is no way any drugs (well street drugs anyway, some more specific drugs can get through) in someone's blood stream can get into the brain the body is physically designed to prevent this.
But what if it's magic drugs, designed to circumvent the blood brain barrier?

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Looks like Limitless bumbed up to the 11th power with some sort of an existential/cosmological/ontological meltdown/crisis/"A God Am I" in the end. She destroys either herself, everyone else, or our creators come to take her away. I'm pretty sure that's how it's gonna go.

Jimalcoatl

Jun 21, 2010
I was going to come on and ***** about the 10% of the human brain myth, but you guys seem to have it covered. Thank you Escapist community, my faith in humanity hasn't fallen as much as it could have today.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I freakin' love this woman. So I can't wait for this. And after watching the trailer my thoughts have only been reinforced. It looks awesome.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
Don't get too excited about Under the Skin. Based on the trailer they've completely gone off the mark from the fantastic book it's based on. They've turned what is a hugely compelling look at human-animal relations, farming and heirarchy into some stupid sex and aliens crap. Bloody typical that they'd miss the point of the novel completely.

But otherwise, I'll keep an eye out for Limitless, even if it does sound a bit sci-fi typical. "....and then they become SUPER invincible and REALLY powerful, and then they save the world!!"

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Angelous Wang said:
Uh, virtually all street drugs are mind-affecting substances which either pass through the BBB without difficulty, or are metabolized into, or triggers for, forms which do so.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
MovieBob said:
(scifi movies will never stop loving that particular science-myth)
I just wish they'd stop with the "only use 10%." If they still want to use the concept, they can do so without continuing with a known falsehood. How about, instead, we start off with a science-type-guy debunking that ridiculous myth -- "Oh, please, we use 100% of our brains. It's just that, at the time, whoever wrote that statement only understood what 10% of the brain did."

...and then better-science-type-guy gets all dramatic eyed: "No, you misunderstand. Up until yesterday, what we thought was our whole brain's potential wasn't quite accurate. That was just the first percent."

See, it can still work. And be even better. Just update to currently known facts, but then say "plus a hundred." And that way it's less stupid sounding to those that know the "10% myth" is myth.