Scary movies that are actually scary.

Arsen

Nov 26, 2008
I have many of my "dark fantasy" favorites within horror, but the only horror I have ever saw that were frightening were the following:

Exorcist III
Irreversible - I know it wasn't a "horror movie" in the classic sense but the first half of it is easily one of the darkest scenes in a movie I have ever seen.
Lost Highway

That is it. Please recommend more and many you found to be scary.

DragonChi

Nov 1, 2008
to be completely honest, I feel that the "Paranormal Activity" movies to be authentically scary in their own way. they are psychological horrors, which to me are far more affective.

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
Aliens was really tense, and Night of the Living Dead was pretty terrifying in the fifth grade.

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
I saw "Ju On" when I was younger, since then I don't think I've found any other movie scary.

Don't judge it by the insult of an American remake, 'The Grudge'. If you notice the subtleties of Ju On, (and there are a few very clever ones,) the film really has a pretty awesome effect.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
A Japanese movie by the name of Reincarnation. The first half is a pretty standard suspense film with good atmosphere and build up. The second half gets much better and finishes with a chase scene that made me sleep with the light on. Very few movies do more than make me jump a little from cheap scares but this one actually got to me.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
DragonChi said:
to be completely honest, I feel that the "Paranormal Activity" movies to be authentically scary in their own way. they are psychological horrors, which to me are far more affective.
That one really didn't scare me in theaters (the end was pretty tense) but I kept coming back to it later when I was alone in dark rooms...

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Hmm i've watched so many that i'm practically immune to these things so i have to think real hard here....perhaps the Audition.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
the last movie I saw that creeped me out at all was event horizon, at least the first half did, the 2nd got a bit obvious but it was still good

Pielikey

Jul 31, 2009
I dunno, man, that Justin Bieber 3D movie that's coming looks pretty horrifying to me....

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
As a kid, the film 'Jeepers Creepers' horrified me. I would literally look over my shoulder and try not to make any noise if I was alone. Looking back, it's still a creepy ass movie, but not as scary as when I was a kid.

automatron

Apr 21, 2010
The Spanish movie [REC] is really good.
I though paranormal activity was good in a 'things that go bump in the night' way

Synthenoid

Dec 30, 2010
DragonChi said:
I agree wholeheartedly with this. Paranormal Activvity knew how to touch me in my scary places more because it tackled a topic that was, and always will be, horrifying. The fact that you are completely defensless when asleep has always left me partly paranoid, and this movie played on those fears so well.

Splice also managed to scare me awake all night, but more so because of the concept behind it. The idea that our individual flaws as well as our desires could produce such a catastrophic outcome is frightening. In an age where we are at the brink of full genetic manipulation it has the potential to breed a lot of mistrust within the mind.

badpun

Apr 4, 2010
The Blair Witch Project was the movie that freaked me out the most of all the "thriller" or "horror" movies

SweetLiquidSnake

Jan 20, 2011
I watched Arachnophobia as a kid, and even though it's somewhat comical, I think it fucked me up because I'm still scared of spiders to this day haha.

Nowadays movies don't scare me but The Grudge was the only movie to really mess with me, especially the female ghost. The face, the throat noise, the fact she can get you anytime, anywhere. It's freaky stuff.

RyanKaufman

May 31, 2010
To be frank, the scariest things around are easily books. Books use your imagination, which is what you have when you're alone in the night. Movies can get pretty scary, but they all wear off within a week at most. A book will basically terrify your brain into submission, and hold you there, scarring you for at the least a month.

SweetxVicious

Aug 2, 2010
Body, as it's known in America (or Body Number 19, as it was originally released in Thailand and elsewhere) was a really twisted film, maybe not the creepiest or the one with the most jump-out-of-your-seat scares, but it was psychologically disturbing for sure.