School District Goes All "Big Brother" on Students

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Why are you upset that an organisation that is legally bound to protect kids is doing this, when half the kids at the school are probably happily using smartphones & facebook that tracks all their activity?

And not that I'm for it, but it'd be way easier, cheaper, and less morally dubious to just track public facebook profiles for location.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Esotera said:
Why are you upset that an organisation that is legally bound to protect kids is doing this, when half the kids at the school are probably happily using smartphones & facebook that tracks all their activity?

And not that I'm for it, but it'd be way easier, cheaper, and less morally dubious to just track public facebook profiles for location.
The difference is that they can choose to not use Facebook if they wish. I doubt even half of the student body has a smart phone in any case.

Comocat

May 24, 2012
I think they are probably necessary given that the most interesting student they could find is someone who wont wear the ID because she thinks its "the mark of the beast."

I think it would be interesting to group students based off truancy/performance rather than penalizing all students. Schools spend a lot of manpower chasing after the bad kids, so why not put tracking devices on the underperformers and reward students who arent acting crazy?

Furthermore, I dont understand what this achieves. The device only says where a student is on school grounds. So the district spends millions setting up a system and maintaining it whereas all they really need is for teachers to lock their classrooms and a hall monitor to make sure kids arent making out in the stairwell.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Dags90 said:
Also, the school that requires a call at 8 pm? Fuck that noise, 8pm is free time.
Yeah, that would so not happen. Neither would the call when I leave for school. The case can be made for wanting to know where a student is while they are on school grounds. But the school district can shove its GPS right up its collective ass if it thinks it has the right to know where students are outside of school.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Aris Khandr said:
Yeah, that would so not happen. Neither would the call when I leave for school. The case can be made for wanting to know where a student is while they are on school grounds. But the school district can shove its GPS right up its collective ass if it thinks it has the right to know where students are outside of school.
Does the involuntary transfer include busing? If so I'd take that. I can't imagine a school with such a bad attendance problem has a stellar academic program.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Methinks if that school was any good at its job in the first place, it wouldn't need to resort to these sorts of measures.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
I would transfer my kid as soon as i heard this . This is terrible . But this is texas so , there's that . Also at least they didn't decide to do this for only black/hispanic kids ,, which wouldn't have surprised me.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
krazykidd said:
I would transfer my kid as soon as i heard this . This is terrible . But this is texas so , there's that . Also at least they didn't decide to do this for only black/hispanic kids ,, which wouldn't have surprised me.
I doubt even Texas could be that blatantly prejudiced in this day and age :p

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Iffy about this. It's a decent idea but only during school hours. You shouldn't be skipping class and this would definitely cut down on it. Hell, even I skipped class a few times to go be a bum and smoke pot.

Kids be crafty though and I'm sure there is a way to disable the tracker

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
DugMachine said:
Iffy about this. It's a decent idea but only during school hours. You shouldn't be skipping class and this would definitely cut down on it. Hell, even I skipped class a few times to go be a bum and smoke pot.

Kids be crafty though and I'm sure there is a way to disable the tracker
Yeah, just glue the damn thing underneath a chair. You waltz right out, and to their knowledge, you're still in class.

Imthatguy

Sep 11, 2009
I like it... the RFID in the cards probably cant be used for tracking out side the school and decreases truancy. Compulsory education is just that and we need it to make sure short sighted kids don't fuck up their lives.

Zombiefish

Sep 29, 2012
Fappy said:
"smart" IDs that tracks students' geographic locations.... chip that tracks the location of a student at all times.
From what im gathering, it tracks them off campus too? And the 8pm role call is terrible.

Fair enough on school grounds to prevent misuse of school property and stuff but as soon as they step outside the school boundaries these things should switch off.

These kids aren't animals. They have the right to a private life outside of school. Some probably have legitimate issues that make them not want to come to school. Forcing them isn't going to help.

Reevesith

Aug 7, 2009
Reminds me of this.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/194466/schools_laptop_webcams_took_thousands_of_photos_of_students.html

where the school gave students laptops & unbeknown to students the camera in it was taking countless pictures of them.

bat32391

Oct 19, 2011
Crap, I really hope this doesn't apply to my high school. I have enough problems with the idiots in charge, I really don't want them watching my every fucking move.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Doesn't seem too harsh. I mean, as long as you only have to carry it with you while you're in school it's no worse than surveillance cameras.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I thought a school was supposed to resemble a learning environment not a prison?

yeti585

Apr 1, 2012
School systems like to think they are all powerful. What they neglect to think about is, what happens when kids just stop caring about rules and regulations? This is when the students need to stage a mass cutting up of the IDs. Or all just leave it in their lockers until they need it and use the other ID when they don't need the chipped one.

What I'd also like to know is, what if a kid is playing hooky? Is the school going to go out and leash him/her? What if the kid has their friend carry the ID into school/classes? "I was in your class friday! look at the GPS tracking!"
aba1 said:
I thought a school was supposed to resemble a learning environment not a prison?
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA--My sides!--Hahahahah... wait you're serious?

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
In Northern Ireland have had big problems with kids not attending schools that actually made the news the other week.

To encourage attendance they started benefits schemes for pupils of high attendance, and implemented a mobile phone texting system to inform parents that their children are not at school that day.

How bad must the children be to have to track them.... or how insane are the adults implementing this scheme. There are dozens of less extreme implementations that have helped elsewhere, why not try some of those?