School shooting at Texas Elementary school, several children reported dead

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
See, problem solved, and no-one has to give up their shooting spree rights.
The Ukraine is actively being invaded by a hostile military which has repeatedly shelled and rocketed civilian structures. Are their children being called to learn this?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The Twitter users that have a problem with this are hypocrites. A majority of you didn't complain about photos from the Ukraine War. What makes this so special? I don't like looking at real life graphic pictures either, but people need to see this. To know this shit keeps happening, and that certain people and those in power keep ignoring and try to divert/distract from the issue.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
A majority of you didn't complain about photos from the Ukraine War. What makes this so special?
It's not a distant problem they can feel bad about without having to face up to problems in their own backyard. A few years ago, there were some highly publicised gang rapes in India that got loads more attention than the mostly forgotten gang rapes going to trial in the US at the same time.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
The Twitter users that have a problem with this are hypocrites. A majority of you didn't complain about photos from the Ukraine War. What makes this so special? I don't like looking at real life graphic pictures either, but people need to see this. To know this shit keeps happening, and that certain people and those in power keep ignoring and try to divert/distract from the issue.
I believe the outrage is more about showing respect for the loved ones of the victims.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
I believe the outrage is more about showing respect for the loved ones of the victims.
Yes, but consistency is desirable. If Twitter should respect US citizens over the deaths of their loved ones, it should respect everyone else, too.

I mean, we know perfectly well that the consistency Twitter and other social media firms operate is financial. They'll do whatever costs them the fewest number of customers - so for instance they'll obey authoritarian states which might threaten to block or ban them, and in the West they tend to follow wherever they feel public sentiment is strognest so that they offend the fewest number of customers.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's not a distant problem they can feel bad about without having to face up to problems in their own backyard. A few years ago, there were some highly publicised gang rapes in India that got loads more attention than the mostly forgotten gang rapes going to trial in the US at the same time.
They're acting like they're the ones who either got shot or their loved ones got shot.

It wouldn't matter it was through Twitter, some journalist site, a blog, or the actual news networks. I can already tell you while there is some to that statement, most of those people don't even care about actually respecting the victims. They're saying that just use as a cover, so they can't see what goes on and ignore reality. We've all seen it more times when it's some politician or some dumbass know nothing jackass trying to divert attention or distract from it .They'll hide behind the "think about the victims!" or "didn't believe in God enough!". Out of the slightest convenience and lack of empathy.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Yes, but consistency is desirable. If Twitter should respect US citizens over the deaths of their loved ones, it should respect everyone else, too.
People are less "human beings" the farther they are. It's a journalistic law, similar to the "death per kilometer" one (one death nearby has the same "newsworth" weight as a thousand deaths abroad). You can show piles of bodies if they are foreign (and all the more if their skin color looks "remote") but a local body is sacred and shocking.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
The 58-year-old told authorities that he saw shadows outside his home, went inside and got his firearm
Doyle told them that when he went back outside he saw people running away from his property and began shooting at them, unknowingly hitting the girl
Grown ass man so literally jumping at shadows he went inside to grab a gun, went back outside, and just started blasting. Also, 'unknowingly'? What did he expect would happen when you point a gun at people and fire?

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Grown ass man so literally jumping at shadows he went inside to grab a gun, went back outside, and just started blasting. Also, 'unknowingly'? What did he expect would happen when you point a gun at people and fire?
Listen, you don't have time to think about that when you're defending your very life by firing at "people running away". The man was in clear danger of being run away from.

Also what are you doing, posting opinions instead of praying ? You should be praying. Do you want God to shoot more people !?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Listen, you don't have time to think about that when you're defending your very life by firing at "people running away". The man was in clear danger of being run away from.

Also what are you doing, posting opinions instead of praying ? You should be praying. Do you want God to shoot more people !?
Yes, I'd gladly pray. It is quick, easy, free, and makes me feel like I contributed something while completely absolving myself of the responsibility of actually contributing something.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

Thank the gods Rittenhouse got out over a plastic bag. Now you can shoot anyone

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
First productive cultural shift would be to start thinking instead of praying.

Evolving past the theocratic mindset would be the first step to -gasp!- question the traditionnal status quo and the sacralization of ancient texts. And start thinking like genuine humans on a genuine planet.

For a change.
You do realize "thoughts and prayers" isn't some solution or anything, it's just one of things people say to let others know they feel sorry for them and what happened sucks because "thoughts and prayers" merely replaces the more blunt "well, that sucks". Don't know why you all lashing out at people just trying to show compassion in their preferred manner. Politics isn't the solution to the problem anyway.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
You do realize "thoughts and prayers" isn't some solution or anything, it's just one of things people say to let others know they feel sorry for them and what happened sucks because "thoughts and prayers" merely replaces the more blunt "well, that sucks".
Not according to this elected politician.
-
The U.S. congressman who represents Allen is facing criticism after denouncing people who say more than prayer is needed to combat gun violence.

In an interview Saturday with CNN, Rep. Keith Self responded to a question about people who say prayer has not prevented mass shootings.

“Those are people that don’t believe in an almighty God who is absolutely in control of our lives,” the
Republican lawmaker told CNN’s Paula Reid. “I’m a Christian. I believe that he is.”

-
Literally says there's nothing anyone but an imaginary god can do about it.

"Politics isn't the solution to the problem anyway."

Legislating that demonstrably mentally ill people who express violent sentiments and glorify murder cannot legally purchase assualt rifles is definitely a solution to the problem. Politicians can do that, that's their job, to make laws that represent the values of their communities they represent.
Of course politics is the solution, jesus.

Reactions: Absent and BrawlMan

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Not according to this elected politician.
-
The U.S. congressman who represents Allen is facing criticism after denouncing people who say more than prayer is needed to combat gun violence.

In an interview Saturday with CNN, Rep. Keith Self responded to a question about people who say prayer has not prevented mass shootings.

“Those are people that don’t believe in an almighty God who is absolutely in control of our lives,” the
Republican lawmaker told CNN’s Paula Reid. “I’m a Christian. I believe that he is.”

-
Literally says there's nothing anyone but an imaginary god can do about it.

"Politics isn't the solution to the problem anyway."

Legislating that demonstrably mentally ill people who express violent sentiments and glorify murder cannot legally purchase assualt rifles is definitely a solution to the problem. Politicians can do that, that's their job, to make laws that represent the values of their communities they represent.
Of course politics is the solution, jesus.
Oh, he's one of those people.

Mentally ill already can't buy guns.