School shooting at Texas Elementary school, several children reported dead

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I didn't say they don't help, I said legislation isn't going to fix the problem on the whole. That's what I'm interested is in actually fixing things vs doing the bare minimum and washing your hands of it and acting like it's fixed. Can we stop with models saying if you do ABC, then the projected result is XYZ? Because those projected results are usually pie-in-the-sky numbers which aren't very realistic.
"Do nothing unless the solution is perfect and don't trust the models that say they're (near) perfect"

Reactions: BrawlMan

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I didn't say they don't help, I said legislation isn't going to fix the problem on the whole. That's what I'm interested is in actually fixing things vs doing the bare minimum and washing your hands of it and acting like it's fixed. Can we stop with models saying if you do ABC, then the projected result is XYZ? Because those projected results are usually pie-in-the-sky numbers which aren't very realistic.
But I mean what are you asking for? Real solutions? Define real. Research centers study this issue, come to conclusions that could result in the drop in weapon violence by almost 85% and the response is...oh those eggheads, this is the real world, not your research world, give me a real solution.
Where the fuck are you going to get real solutions if not from the research teams designed and paid to research these issues? You want a real solution. Great good for you. The fuck does that mean?
Real as in not tested? Not researched? No documentations?
Here I'll give you a real solution. Bananas.
Give every gun owner a banana. That will stop all gun violence 100% guaranteed. Its a real solution for real people in the real world. Not some egghead solution from scientists and researchers with documentation and statistics.
Its practical, we have the bananas, and its cheap because bananas are cheap. Its a real solution for real men.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't say they don't help, I said legislation isn't going to fix the problem on the whole.
Laws aren't going to fix society on the whole, they're just going to lower bad behaviours. So might as well not have laws.

Reactions: SilentPony

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
But I mean what are you asking for? Real solutions? Define real. Research centers study this issue, come to conclusions that could result in the drop in weapon violence by almost 85% and the response is...oh those eggheads, this is the real world, not your research world, give me a real solution.
We all know what Phoenixmgs's "real solution" is: Nothing can be done; let's all buy a gun.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Laws aren't going to fix society on the whole, they're just going to lower bad behaviours. So might as well not have laws.
I mean, laws are pretty bad at lowering bad behavior. Eg. If you are in a situation where you might murder someone and the only thing holding you back is the slight position of going to jail... that's not going to hold people back. Same with 'You might go tell Hell if you be naughty', from the religious perspective

It's why, after many cleansing of Communism or Nazism in thr US, there are still people from both those groups around today. Punishments are way less likely to work than reinforcements

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Where the fuck are you going to get real solutions if not from the research teams designed and paid to research these issues? You want a real solution. Great good for you. The fuck does that mean?
Real as in not tested? Not researched? No documentations?
Here I'll give you a real solution. Bananas.
Give every gun owner a banana. That will stop all gun violence 100% guaranteed. Its a real solution for real people in the real world. Not some egghead solution from scientists and researchers with documentation and statistics.
Its practical, we have the bananas, and its cheap because bananas are cheap. Its a real solution for real men.
Models are hardly right and usually way off. If you think merely passing a few guns laws previously mentioned is going to magically reduce gun crime by 85%, you're living in a fantasy world. Guns aren't the reason why Chicago has so much gang crime, getting to the core reason why there is gang crime and fixing that will reduce gun crime. That's what I'm looking to do, not pass laws that are hardly going to affect gang crime. Nobody wants to talk about that but say we need to ban assault rifles like that will magically fix the problem, it's at best a band-aid to a cut that needs stitches. For example, equally giving out school funds to every school per student on a state or country level (vs rich neighbors having more money per kid) will result is lowering crime more than any gun laws you want passed.

You do realize I'm literally for every gun law IIRC previously mentioned, I'm saying they aren't going to fix gun violence.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Models are hardly right and usually way off. If you think merely passing a few guns laws previously mentioned is going to magically reduce gun crime by 85%, you're living in a fantasy world. Guns aren't the reason why Chicago has so much gang crime, getting to the core reason why there is gang crime and fixing that will reduce gun crime. That's what I'm looking to do, not pass laws that are hardly going to affect gang crime. Nobody wants to talk about that but say we need to ban assault rifles like that will magically fix the problem, it's at best a band-aid to a cut that needs stitches. For example, equally giving out school funds to every school per student on a state or country level (vs rich neighbors having more money per kid) will result is lowering crime more than any gun laws you want passed.
So you admit you know absolutely nothing about any issue, and are just bullshit for the sake of being a contrarian, and in no way debate in good faith.
I mean good to know, I can add you to my ignored list. Good luck with your just made-up understanding of the world.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Well, it's good to see that we're holding teenage girls to their sworn duty to protect and serve, and protecting heavily armed men from danger.
Well, she was in Germany. And before a German court. School shootings are taken a bit more serious on this side of the Atlantic.

On the other hand she only got "educational measures" because Germany does not put everyone into prison all the time and her name did not get disclosed either.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
I've had him on ignore since near the end of 2020. I don't know what took you so long to do this, but I'm glad you are doing it now. I suggest everybody else do the same.
I don't ignore him because he is a deeply unserious human and seeing him have the exact wrong take on every topic is always fun.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I don't ignore him because he is a deeply unserious human and seeing him have the exact wrong take on every topic is always fun.
See its not the exact wrong take that actually annoys me. Its the blatant, fundamental disregard for science and research.

"Cows don't contribute to global warming."
"Here's a research article showing cows contribute to global warming."
"Those numbers are wrong, doesn't count, bring me something real."

Makes you wonder if the dude just wants a cow to fart in his face. Maybe its all like a kink thing?

Last edited:

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
And I'm saying that's an irrelevant point to make, because nobody ever thought it was going to 100% fix everything.
You cannot possibly make a new policy unless it completely fixes everything.

Yep, sounds like US politics

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
Related to firearms and public policy, there is currently a group of people sitting on the lawn of the Colorado legislature demanding that the Governor sign an executive order banning firearms in his state.
Of course, this sort of rule by decree would not stand up to judicial scrutiny, something the organizers seem to acknowledge.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Related to firearms and public policy, there is currently a group of people sitting on the lawn of the Colorado legislature demanding that the Governor sign an executive order banning firearms in his state.
Of course, this sort of rule by decree would not stand up to judicial scrutiny, something the organizers seem to acknowledge.
I would believe that it would require a lot of organising to make such a thing happen, so this would be like a fundamentalist standing outside an abortion clinic. It might not change things now, but in a few decades some Judges might reinterpret the constitution so banning guns is legal

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
I would believe that it would require a lot of organising to make such a thing happen, so this would be like a fundamentalist standing outside an abortion clinic. It might not change things now, but in a few decades some Judges might reinterpret the constitution so banning guns is legal
I think a better comparison to fundamentalists standing outside of an abortion clinic would be protests that do occasionally happen outside of gun stores.