School vs Massive Mohawk.

Bromion

Jun 13, 2011
you know, if the school had just left well enough alone no one would have noticed or cared about this. Guess they got that distraction they were looking for.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Well, if he intends to keep his hair like that all his life, he may as well not go to school, because he sure as hell isn't going to get a job.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
It's up to the school to set the rules and standards. If you don't follow the rules, or meet the standards...it's like throwing water in the air and going "WHY!?" When it comes back down and hits you in the eyes.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Yes, of coure schools have dress codes, so they are allowed to force him to do whatever they want. Yes, they are not public places, but systems led by an arbitary authority. Thanks to all the Captain Obvious commenters pointing that out.

But that doesn't tell us anything about the morality of defying the school. If a North Korean citizen speaks up against the Dear Leader, or an Iranian woman going on the street without a chador, are they automatically "in the wrong", because there is a legal power that can punish them for it?

The real question is: SHOULD schools have that kind of authority? Is it a good thing for us, as a society, that freedom of expression doesn't extend to schools, and that our kids are raised in an environment that teaches them to obey to arbitary social convntions without question?

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
Really.... I mean really... a Mohawk is potentially distracting?

Given some of the STUPID fashions and haircuts these days, how is something that ceased being shocking nearly 35 years ago a distraction? Now normally I'd side with the kid, but as OP said, he's been a massive douche about it, so actually yeah, I'll side with the school on this one.

Chairman Miaow said:
Binnsyboy said:
Looks like this kid's in a hairy situation!
I suppose he does have a few points in his favour though.
I think the whole scheme is hair brained.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
Why bother spiking it up to go to school? the time it takes to spike up a mohawk is just too much effort in the morning.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Did any of you read the article? He's agreed to wear it down at school, but the school has no regulations involving hair. This is the same shit as "Wearing coloured socks and underwear could be distracting" that my school tried to pull.

Ask yourself, if someone came in with that, sat at the back and got on with their work, would you be distracted by them for the entire lesson or would you go "that's pretty weird" and get on with whatever you were doing. I swear it's like people think that other humans have completely different reactions to them.

Oh, to the guy who said schools aren't a public place? Its required that you go to one and if you don't go and follow their rules on how you dress and act you get punished. Awesome, that sounds like a totally cool environment to be raised in. I can understand rules within reason but this really isn't within reason.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
My school had a pretty strict dress code in terms of uniform, shoes, piercings etc but they had nothing to do with restricting hair styles. The official policy was rather unknown until we had an assembly one week where the principal decided to tell us about how he used to get sent home all the time from school for having his hair too long. His personal experiences as a teenager at school led him to declare total freedom for students when it came to their hair and what they did to it.

ChadSexington

Apr 14, 2011
Up the punks, the kid's got the attitude down.

Anyway, if the school has no regulations against this I don't think they should be allowed to make him wear it down. If they had regulations regarding length/style/colour I'd be on their side but apparently they don't so the kid hasn't done anything wrong.

Texas Joker 52 said:
Well, other than it being pink. Seriously, a good toxic green would have looked better with his complexion. And it would have looked more badass.
Agreed, toxic green would have looked WAY better.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
I highly doubt that his outfit, even with the mohawk, is the most distracting thing in that school, with the way teenage girls dress these days.

I think that he should be allowed to express himself. By forcing him to ditch the hair, it's creating MORE of a disturbance than if they had just let it slide, because he'll surely make a scene with whatever his next hair style or clothing design is just to push every boundary he can think of.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
I just don't understand how him having a mohawk is hurting anyone, it's not the school's just being dicks, let him do what he wants, it's his hair.

felbot

May 11, 2011
wow, humanity you suck, he wants to have his hair a certain way and people immediately flip out.

let him have his Mohawk, fucking conformists.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Greater Evil said:
He could set the record at home and leave it at that. His hair probably gets in the way of hallway traffic in school and people's view of the chalkboard in class.
Pretty much my thought too. I love to think that your rights should be stopped where it interferes with other people's rights. 16 inches of hair pointing straight up would at best be a distraction and most likely an inconvenience for the surroundings. They did not ask him to cut it, simply to not wear it in spikes in school.

Feb 22, 2009
Friend of mine got sent home for shaving his head for charity. No, seriously. I fucking hate that schools think they should control what kids look like. It's ridiculous and has absolutely nothing to do with the actual job of the school - to educate them.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
It's a distraction that's detrimental to other students' education?
And denying a kid's right to go to school, despite the fact that he never actually broke any rules, did nothing 'offensive', etc., isn't detrimental to his education?
Abandon4093 said:
Starik20X6 said:
Oh no! Someone's deviating from the accepted social norm! Somebody stop him before he inspires others to think outside the box!
He's hardly thinking outside the box. He's just spiking his hair up for gods sake.

OT: Meh, I can see both sides of the argument. If the school has a lax approach to dress codes then yea, they shouldn't really be saying anything. But at the end of the day schools do have the right to moderate dress sense. Fuck, we still had uniforms at my place. And lets be honest, I imagine hair that tall would get in the way a bit in a school setting.

Personally, I don't like spiked mohawks. Fins are so much cooler.
'The box' is normalcy.
Going for having the biggest spiked mohawk on the planet is something that extremely few people do. That's outside of 'the box' by definition.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Abandon4093 said:
Starik20X6 said:
Oh no! Someone's deviating from the accepted social norm! Somebody stop him before he inspires others to think outside the box!
He's hardly thinking outside the box. He's just spiking his hair up for gods sake.
I was riffing on the 'slippery slope' argument, facetiously claiming that one kid's mohawk would inspire even more radical hair-doos, until kids are showing up to school with entire helicopters in their hair[footnote]EDIT: And that it would be somehow bad.[/footnote].

[sub]Awesome.[/sub]​