Schools begin banning teachers from using red ink

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
llubtoille said:
Crank out the pretty green pens imo!
Mmm, if all my errors came back in glitter green, I'd make more mistakes me thinks.
I totally read this as "Crank out the pretty green penis" the first time I glanced at it.

I chuckled, hard.

thelastnomad

Nov 18, 2009
I'm a teacher in New Zealand - this was bleated about in general a few years back. No one really cared, and too be honest, I just mark with whatever coloured pen I have close and isn't the same as the kids work.

Althought, big red crosses are fun :D

willsham45

Apr 14, 2009
ye heard this one before it is stupid. red ink stands out and is generally easier to read than green and the like...why do people care about it upsetting children...real life is upsetting have these people not seen that. or are kids lives meant to be a wonderful pleasant thing so when they leave school the contrast is so great the kids heads explode.
and what is stopping green and other colours beaning banned for they could now be seed as negative.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Red is clear. Red means stop, danger, or beef if it's Oxo. Green means continue, this is ok, or vegetable. I will not teach vegetables.
That is going in my list of favourite quotes. Best thing I have read all month.

On topic, shouldn't schools maybe spend less time worrying about upsetting children with ink and more time trying to stop them getting the shit kicked out of them for being 'a dickhead with a queer haircut'?

For anyone who's curious, I did not have a pleasant time at school.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
I read that as "Pointing our scholarly mistakes puts a downer on the mood of students".

I would think the colour was picked because it highlights the points you should take a second look at.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Damn you red ink! How dare you demonize the children! You monster of a coloured ink! Go back to the hell you arrised from!

For you shall not pass!

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
A wrong answer mark in red ink or not is still a wrong answer, unless we are going down the route of phasing out wrong answers in case the poor little kids suffer mental anguish because they mixed up 'there' and 'their' on their homework assignment. I hope not or I foresee a future like this;

Teacher "Alright Timmy what does 2+2 equal"
Timmy "Apple"
Teacher "That's right Timmy 2+2 does equal apple. You get an A."

Being less over dramatic I'll say this probably won't have much of an effect really as a teacher will still have to correct a student who has made a mistake, so kid is still going to get the demoralising effect of getting something wrong anyway. Rather parents and teachers alike should focus on the fact that in is okay to make a mistake. Making mistakes is part and part of the education experience. It is not important that the kid made the a mistake, but rather the kid understands why he/she made the mistake and is thus better equipped to tackle a similar problem in the future. That essentially is a teacher's job, to teach the child and to steer them back in the right direction when they do misunderstand things. And easiest way of doing that is by a little red circle over a spelling mistake and the like.

So on reflection, I would have to give the school in the article a big red frowny face.

EDIT

Damn my spelling! Best correct it before someone on the forums breaks out the red font and makes me feel sad. :p

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
Trippy Turtle said:
My teachers use red ink for correct answers as well... Why is everything so overly sensitive. If I went out and insulted every person in the universe then they would live. Who cares if someone takes offense, its called being a human.
How can someone be offended by the color red?

If you're a comedian, you don't need to create jokes anymore. Just stand in front of an audience and read them the news.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
The reason red pen is used is because of practicality.

Most pens are blue, black, and red, with blue and black being the most common. The reason there will always be red pens is because accounting -requires- red pens to do some of its work.

But, as most pens are blue or black, you need a color that contrasts with them so that corrections and teacher remarks are both visible, and easily distinguished from the students'.

So. Red.

Look, schools are about the process of learning, and some means need to be used to quantify if, in fact, learning has taken place. Mistakes ARE an important part of the learning process. In fact, the most basic process of learning, the one which all other learning processes build on... is trial-and-error. Without error, you do not have trial-and-error, and without trial-and-error, you do not have learning.

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
... So my generation is probably going to be the last one that hasn't been placed in a delicate cotton-lined bubble thats gonna pop the second they have to find a job?

This is just another case in a long string of cases that proves that people have taken things up to the Nazi standard >.>

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Do4600 said:
If we had a system of education that assigned "experience points" to certain fundamental concepts in different branches of education then we could create a system to educate students based on what they actually know instead of what they are supposed to know. For instance, you could have a student with a mathematics "level" of 3, a reading "level" of 5 and a science "level" of 4, that student could go to a math class for level 3 a reading course for level 5 and science class for level 4.

This way the student wouldn't be bored in a "level" 4 reading class, be falling behind in a "level" 4 math course and be perfect for the "level" 4 science class.
That's a really good idea. Do away with the whole idea of "years" ("grades" in the US). Everyone starts at "level 1" in all subjects, and have each subject's level completely unrelated to the level of every other subject. Students with a natural affinity for certain subjects will be able to reach advanced study in those areas quickly, while subjects you have a difficult time with you will progress through much more slowly and be able to stay in the lower levels of those subjects until you grasp them well enough to pass.

Graduation could require reaching certain minimum levels in all "core" subjects plus a particular level in two or three electives, with the overall time to reach graduation being irrelevant. A system like this could have served me so much better back when I was in school.

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
As long as it's clear where the errors are and they're explained, I don't give much of a damn what colour the pen used to do it is.

Also, I wouldn't trust the Daily Fail, moreover a story in it from 2008, that much.

Y'know what makes me 'not want to live on this planet any more'?
People who take the Daily Mail seriously.

MUSLIM GAY IMMIGRANTS CARRY A NEW FORM OF AIDS THAT LOWERS HOUSE PRICES SAYS DIANA'S GHOST.

Viral_Lola

Jul 13, 2009
In high school, I had a teacher correct our homework in purple ink because we had a color blind student in the class. Also because she really liked the color purple. As for me? Eh... It's a color. Sure it's depressing when I get something back that looks like it had been used as a band-aid but I learn from my mistakes and try to not to make the same mistakes again.

Leftnt Sharpe

Nick Furry
Apr 2, 2009
Viral_Lola said:
In high school, I had a teacher correct our homework in purple ink because we had a color blind student in the class. Also because she really liked the color purple. As for me? Eh... It's a color. Sure it's depressing when I get something back that looks like it had been used as a band-aid but I learn from my mistakes and try to not to make the same mistakes again.
That's because your teacher was actually a worshipper of Tzeentch hence the use of the purple pen. Most teachers are obviously followers of Khorne and must supply a constant stream of student blood and skulls for his mighty throne! This is why they use red pens. At least, that was how it worked at my school anyway...............

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
Im all for removing grades and replacing them with out of 100 scores to remove some of the dissapointment when you get a C instead you get a 50/100 which is pass and instead of moving on from a test just give the good students extension aswell as the bad students
but banning red ink is just strange

azukar

Sep 7, 2009
1. Daily Mail. 'nuff said.

2. I'm a teacher. I mark in whatever colour I happen to be holding. Red is easier to see. Some of my colleagues can't believe I'd ever mark in red and try to tell me not to do it.

3. What if a child does brilliantly? Will they still be demoralised by seeing a big "100%" in bright red?

4. (I'm a infants teacher) I get kids to do headings and emphasis in red pencil. Should this be banned too?