Schools begin banning teachers from using red ink

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
You know how to avoid being demoralized by red ink? STOP FUCKING UP YOUR HOMEWORK.

Vankraken

Mar 30, 2010
They seriously need to stop trying to "fix" education with moronic crap. The best resource any child has to improve there education is there parents and its there job to help reinforce the material being taught in class and provide a happy and healthy home environment that will allow the child to be productive in class. Most kids fail to engage the school material because they do not learn at home and do not receive the encouragement from there parents when they do well in school. School becomes boring and feels unimportant because the actions of the parents convey the message that school is uninteresting and the material you gain (knowledge) isn't important and only the grade really matters (and if you only care about the grade then you don't really learn much of anything and if you have trouble with a subject then your far more likely to give up and accept a lesser grade).

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
I'm a teacher, and I can see this going either way.

On the one hand, it's important to experiment and avoid stagnating the education process. Just because grading with red ink is traditional doesn't make it right. So, saying that "there's nothing wrong with grading in red because that's how it was done for years" doesn't hold water. Tradition for the sake of tradition is meaningless. If we aren't willing to try new things, we may never find the improvements that are the basis of positive progress.

On the other hand, those who argue that this is just one more step in the "watering-down" of education and focusing on the "self-esteem" of the student above other things probably have a point. The amount of defensiveness and "us vs. them" mentality that exists between parents and schools is ridiculous. I'm fortunate to work at a school where parents and teachers generally have good rapport, but the general state of the American education system is marred by a very strong mentality that teachers are "out to get students." That parents have to be ready to jump in and defend their child from being demoralized by the school system. To many parents, their child's short-term "happy good feelings" are more important than long-term educational success and character-building.

I will concede that red does say "warning! danger! watch out!" and you know what? That might not be a bad thing. It draws attention to the mistake. The best response to making a mistake is realize the mistake, humble yourself to it, and resolve to not make the same mistake again. But a lot of people don't think that way. They would rather lash out at the person who is accusing them of the mistake and tell said accuser that they are wrong, that there is no mistake.

While this ink thing is not really a big deal in and of itself, I would say that it may be a symptom of a greater problem. The want of students, parents, and people in general to feel good short-term and never have to let go of their pride rather than open their perspective to long-term growth.

DarkShadow144

Nov 16, 2010
There was talk about this at my old High school. All I could say was "Grow a fucking pair." Everyone has to be nice and friendly nowadays, but sometimes you just have to come out and tell a kid, "You suck, get better."

Jesse Billingsley

Mar 21, 2011
Rin Little said:
I wish I was kidding about this, but some schools in the U.K. have actually prohibited teachers from using red ink pens when correcting student assignments. They say the red ink is "demoralizing to students" and "making them do worse in school." Are you freaking kidding me?! Red ink makes sense to me because then you can actually see where the mistakes and markings are so you know where to fix mistakes! People need to stop being so freaking sensitive about everything. Coddling your kids all the way through school isn't going to do shit for them. If they're doing bad then they're doing bad and you're not helping them by making it easier for them to handle.

Here's the link if anyone wants to read the article to make sure I'm not bullshitting...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1101790/Teachers-banned-using-confrontational-red-ink-case-upsets-children.html
For me, lots of red ink meant "Get your game face on and kick ass..." Whats next? Teachers have to spend 3 weeks on simple multiplication and division because people think its too hard for children over the age of 12? The education systems need a swift boot up the ass, for real. I'm in college now, and while professurs don't tell you right out that you suck, they recomend that if you are failing you should either drop, or step up your game and take it seriously. If only more high school teachers were like that.

BodomBeachChild

Nov 12, 2009
Fucking demoralizing? You know why it is... because you got the answeres wrooooonnnnnggggg. Not because it's red. It's because you didn't know the right goddamn answer.

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
Stuff like this is why a high school degree is not worth the paper it's printed on and the Ass degree is following. We have stuff like it in the states.

UnderCoverGuest

May 24, 2010
Red is my favorite color.

Clearly if I had kept seeing red in school, I would have thought I was doing well. I would have wanted to fail just so I could see the red on my paper. I would have wanted to wear red, to eat red, to taste red, to bleed red!

Clearly red ink on homework indicates societies that breed psychotic murderers. I don't want our school system breeding psychotic murderers...do you?

Boring sarcasm aside, I am glad that schools in the UK are now appealing to the education and enlightenment of bulls. It's about time our bovine brothers go to class without fear of becoming enraged and bloodthirsty at the sight of their math grades.

Kuroneko97

Aug 1, 2010
I KNEW my drawing would come in handy for a thread like this!

Oh Kyubey. For once you're the voice of reason.

About two weeks ago I got a math test back. 76. He marked the SHIT out of it, and I saw every single thing I got wrong. I felt bad, but fortunately I'd done all my work, so I went to tutoring so I can qualify for a retest this Friday. He tells us to mark each others homework in red ink too. I'm pretty sure he does it so we can see our mistakes. He makes us write in pencil so we can fix our mistakes.

Seriously, Education system. Grow some balls. These kids can take a bad grade. I saw I guy get a 51 and he didn't freak out. I'm not sure about his parents though...

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
SillyBear said:
If these kids are crying over red ink, they're very likely going to turn out to be worthless man-children. You coddle something and it expects to be coddled. You can't get anywhere in life like that, unless you're incredibly lucky.
PhoenixFlame said:
What I really just disagree with you on is the degree to which you don't think this is a big deal or is not overboard. As someone who had to teach a few semesters of basic composition courses in college for his degree, I know that you're obligated to teach your students right from wrong in order to give them a baseline of correct writing behaviors and styles that help them survive more complex paper assignments. Using color as a means to coddle students into being soothed about what was not done right is doing them a disservice.
CriticKitten said:
I'm glad you have an opinion based purely on your own misguided ideals of what helps kids to learn better.
But I never said anything about coddling. Coddling is counter-productive of course. It spawns entitled dipshits, I agree......what does that have to do with red ink? You can critique someone's essay with any color in the rainbow/sharpie spectrum. The benefit of not using red, imo, is that it doesn't seem like every word you're saying is a death threat to the students' loved ones.

Look, I'm for this because as a good, but rebellious student, I know I've waved off red-marked criticism tons of times, because I thought of it as "Mr.Senile's bullshit technicalities that I don't want to pay attention to". Was it right to do that? Absolutely not. Am I the only one who does do that? NO fucking Way! Students like me take constructive criticism MUCH better, when the teacher isn't hiding behind a color-coded veneer of arbitrary power and feelings of supremacy. I take constructive criticism from teachers who tell me, through their markings: "I am not on a higher level of existence, that you cannot hope to grasp with your inferior mind. I am, rather, a human being, just like you. However I am Waaay more experienced than you are on this subject; so let me tell you where and how you are wrong, so you can get better at it."

Call me naive for looking at this from the perspective of the group of people it's supposed to help. I have no other perspective. If that makes me some kind of ignorant ass to you.....well then you're probably one of the educators who are, imo, part of the problem. I mean no disrespect; but I always hated teachers like you, with your sense of superiority and egotism over students. I would mock you from the back of the class on the few days I would show up, and then prevent you from failing me by getting a 97% on the term exam (without cheating) JUST to spite you. I literally did just that with a few of my old teachers, I can do it with you.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
On another note, we have also stopped issuing grades below "A" and have stopped all types of competition between students, be them sports or ordinary arguments or fights.

We wouldn't want the students to lose these arguments or get low grades and lose self-esteem, now would we? ;)

GideonB

Jul 26, 2008
Kuroneko97 said:
I KNEW my drawing would come in handy for a thread like this!

Oh Kyubey. For once you're the voice of reason.

About two weeks ago I got a math test back. 76. He marked the SHIT out of it, and I saw every single thing I got wrong. I felt bad, but fortunately I'd done all my work, so I went to tutoring so I can qualify for a retest this Friday. He tells us to mark each others homework in red ink too. I'm pretty sure he does it so we can see our mistakes. He makes us write in pencil so we can fix our mistakes.

Seriously, Education system. Grow some balls. These kids can take a bad grade. I saw I guy get a 51 and he didn't freak out. I'm not sure about his parents though...
I can agree with this. Today we did a test on Operating Systems in College and most people failed, and there was red used (on the computer to show you the wrong answers) noone was demoralized or annoyed, just saying damn this was hard I gotta try better next time

So uhh what the fuck is with this stupid rule

Also lol at that drawing

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
The ink is indeed red for reasons of being easy to spot, which is what you're supposed to do with corrections. Spot and fix mistakes, it's called learning for a reason...

The only way it can be demoralizing is when the teacher writes that you suck. And that's equally shitty in any colour ink!

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
GrizzlerBorno said:
SillyBear said:
If these kids are crying over red ink, they're very likely going to turn out to be worthless man-children. You coddle something and it expects to be coddled. You can't get anywhere in life like that, unless you're incredibly lucky.
PhoenixFlame said:
What I really just disagree with you on is the degree to which you don't think this is a big deal or is not overboard. As someone who had to teach a few semesters of basic composition courses in college for his degree, I know that you're obligated to teach your students right from wrong in order to give them a baseline of correct writing behaviors and styles that help them survive more complex paper assignments. Using color as a means to coddle students into being soothed about what was not done right is doing them a disservice.
CriticKitten said:
I'm glad you have an opinion based purely on your own misguided ideals of what helps kids to learn better.
But I never said anything about coddling. Coddling is counter-productive of course. It spawns entitled dipshits, I agree......what does that have to do with red ink? You can critique someone's essay with any color in the rainbow/sharpie spectrum. The benefit of not using red, imo, is that it doesn't seem like every word you're saying is a death threat to the students' loved ones.

Look, I'm for this because as a good, but rebellious student, I know I've waved off red-marked criticism tons of times, because I thought of it as "Mr.Senile's bullshit technicalities that I don't want to pay attention to". Was it right to do that? Absolutely not. Am I the only one who does do that? NO fucking Way! Students like me take constructive criticism MUCH better, when the teacher isn't hiding behind a color-coded veneer of arbitrary power and feelings of supremacy. I take constructive criticism from teachers who tell me, through their markings: "I am not on a higher level of existence, that you cannot hope to grasp with your inferior mind. I am, rather, a human being, just like you. However I am Waaay more experienced than you are on this subject; so let me tell you where and how you are wrong, so you can get better at it."

Call me naive for looking at this from the perspective of the group of people it's supposed to help. I have no other perspective. If that makes me some kind of ignorant ass to you.....well then you're probably one of the educators who are, imo, part of the problem. I mean no disrespect; but I always hated teachers like you, with your sense of superiority and egotism over students. I would mock you from the back of the class on the few days I would show up, and then prevent you from failing me by getting a 97% on the term exam (without cheating) JUST to spite you. I literally did just that with a few of my old teachers, I can do it with you.
And you're going about it wrong by assuming that the red ink is a power play. It's a commonly available color that stands out against blue ink, black ink, and pencil. It means "you got this wrong, and I'm showing you so you can learn from the mistake." As for what you were saying earlier about a 500 year old system that exists to humiliate students, it's nothing of the sort. Old fashioned teaching techniques have been around for a long time for a reason; they work. All this focus on teachers being "learning facilitators" who are supposed to be equal to the students, instead of authority figures who have special knowledge to be passed on? That is a sign of the decline of the educational system. It's one thing for a teacher to admit that he or she doesn't know everything. It's something else entirely for the teacher to know nothing, or to know no more than the students do. There's a word for teachers like that: it's unqualified. As in "if you don't know this stuff, you are unqualified to teach this subject."

Now I know that sounds like it plays right into what you were saying about how teachers act like they know everything and you know nothing. But that's not how it works. A well qualified teacher is one who knows more about the subject they're teaching than the students. Their job is to impart that knowledge to the students. It's not a case of "I know more than you ever will." It's a case of "I know more than you do right now. Let's fix that."

ThyReaper

Feb 14, 2010
I had my Math Methods teacher once mark in Pink Gel.

Worst D+ I've ever had in my life. Well in that class, only time I got a D+ in anything lol.

Furbyz

Oct 12, 2009
You do all realize this is based on a legitimate study on the effects of color on the human psyche? It's the same reason mental wards are painted green. If you see red before a test, statistically speaking, you'll do worse on it. I could really care less what color people grade in.

Look, here's a study.

http://psp.sagepub.com/content/34/11/1530.short

Edit: Big fail on my part. Didn't realize you'd have to buy a membership to the site to read the full study. The abstract is still there though.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
My Earth Science teacher always used green. It's a nice color, and also my favorite.

I pretty much just always believed most teachers used red to make their marks stand out, so no one was confused and you could easily identify the question you answered incorrectly. It never seemed like they were confirming their overall godlike teacher powers over the students by slashing away with red marker, or belittling them. Red is just the teachers mark.

Meh, as long as the next color they choose for kid-friendliness isn't confusing to anyone,... *[small]whispers: use green[/small]*