Schwarzenegger Signs On for The Legend of Conan

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Heh, while adapting and expanding Phoenix in the Sword might be the obvious choice. I'd love to see someone try and do justice to The Scarlet Citadel.

samahain

Sep 23, 2010
""He knows he'll be going to Valhalla"". AWKWaaaaaard.

Not a Nordic, a Summerian? Right? Crom anyone???

Am I wrong?

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Fanghawk said:
"It's that Nordic Viking mythic guy who has played the role of king, warrior, soldier and mercenary, and who has bedded more women than anyone, nearing the last cycle of his life. He knows he'll be going to Valhalla, and wants to go out with a good battle."
...and this is where I lost interest. Did anybody writing this actually pay attention to anything in the previous movies, or source material? This is like someone saying they want to do a sequel to Lord of the Rings where they depict an aging Frodo who wants to make his pilgrimage to Mecca before dying.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Yosharian said:
I don't get the Jason Momoa thing.
Momoa played Conan in the recent Conan reboot. I was among those who thought the movie was kind of mediocre fluff, though not offensive mediocre fluff, and admittedly, given its box office performance, that likelihood of another movie with him in the title role was probably slight. Still, to step back into a role after- what, 26 years absence?- that has already been re-filled by another actor is, shall we say, kind of a dick move and more that a little bit of a slight.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Wait why are they retconning the second movie it wasnt that bad compared to the original?

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
Actually uh..alot of People seem to forget that Cimmerians ARE in fact vikings..or at least the Conan-lore equivalent. Crom may as well be called Odin. The other two Cultures up in the North are the Vanir and the Aesir, the name of the two tribes of the norse gods. Well there's Hyperboreans too but they dont really count, they just live up there. In fact the Aesir have a good relationship with Ymir (ring any bells?) and are somehow related to the frost giants. And they are in a constant state of war with each other, the Cimmerians, Aesir and Vanir. Culturally they ARE based on it.

Yes Cimmerians are in fact the the decendants of the Atlantians, as are the Picts, but they arent really that culture. Thats saying Stygians are still Lemurians, even though Lemuria stopped existing ages ago and held lands which were part of "modern day" stygia. Or that Aquilonians and Nemedians are Acheronian, because that Empire spawned both kingdoms back in the day.

Howard took alot of stuff from already existing mythology and legends and changed them around to fit his stories. For all intents and purposes, Conan is kinda a Viking, or at least germanic/nordic to be more precise. The Viking thing isnt entirely accurate to begin with.

Anyhow, i hope they do a actual follow-up with Conan being actually a old king for the new one, because i dont want a 70 year old doing another action movie which clearly he cant, he wouldnt look the part anymore for that.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Might be good. I still love the original and I even liked The Destroyer. I only managed to see Red Sonja one time, because no one ever airs it like the Conan movies.

I know he wasn't actually Conan in Red Sonja, but close enough. I was super excited about a Red Sonja reboot until Rose McGowan had her Helena Pierce moment and the film was scrapped.

I haven't seen the Conan reboot, because it looked like shit and seems to be the general consensus even by the stars in it.

Felgy76

Oct 29, 2008
Fasckira said:
If they could make it more in line with Discworld's Cohen the Barbarian that'd be just shiny.

(For those not in the know, Cohen is a deliberate parody of Conan. It covers what his life would be like if he was never killed in battle and just kept winning all his epic adventures...)
Cohen was exactly the first thing I thought of when I read the thread title, especially his introduction line.

Chief Nomad- "What is it that a man may call the greatest things in life?"
Cohen- "Hot water, good dentishtry and shoft lavatory paper."

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
Hardcore_gamer said:
Uhm, isn't Arnold a bit too old to be an action hero now?
He's got a film out next year, and he was just in Expendables 2. He'll be fine.

The only way a new Conan is going to work is if both Arnold and Milius are back. The reboot practically killed the film franchise stone-dead. God, I'd love to see that King Conan script get filmed - would make for an awesome trilogy.

eaterofideals

Oct 27, 2012
A-D. said:
Actually uh..alot of People seem to forget that Cimmerians ARE in fact vikings..or at least the Conan-lore equivalent. Crom may as well be called Odin. The other two Cultures up in the North are the Vanir and the Aesir, the name of the two tribes of the norse gods. Well there's Hyperboreans too but they dont really count, they just live up there. In fact the Aesir have a good relationship with Ymir (ring any bells?) and are somehow related to the frost giants. And they are in a constant state of war with each other, the Cimmerians, Aesir and Vanir. Culturally they ARE based on it.

Yes Cimmerians are in fact the the decendants of the Atlantians, as are the Picts, but they arent really that culture. Thats saying Stygians are still Lemurians, even though Lemuria stopped existing ages ago and held lands which were part of "modern day" stygia. Or that Aquilonians and Nemedians are Acheronian, because that Empire spawned both kingdoms back in the day.

Howard took alot of stuff from already existing mythology and legends and changed them around to fit his stories. For all intents and purposes, Conan is kinda a Viking, or at least germanic/nordic to be more precise. The Viking thing isnt entirely accurate to begin with.

Anyhow, i hope they do a actual follow-up with Conan being actually a old king for the new one, because i dont want a 70 year old doing another action movie which clearly he cant, he wouldnt look the part anymore for that.
Sorry chief, but Cimmerians arn't based on vikings. They are based off of old gaelic cultures. The names of their gods are straight from old gaelic myths (There are more gods for Cimmerians than Crom. Crom just has the biggest dick out of the bunch). Even Conan's name is gaelic in origin. Means "hound" or "wolf". Probably a few other things too, depends on where you are when you ask.

But you don't have to take my word for it. Pick up your copies of Howards stories and cross reference the points of Cimmerian culture. Or hell, just google "cimmerian culture". You'll probably get a hit that way. And feel free to cross reference whatever you find there just to be sure. Vanir and Aesir based on vikings, sure thing. But not Cimmerians.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
eaterofideals said:
A-D. said:
Sorry chief, but Cimmerians arn't based on vikings. They are based off of old gaelic cultures. The names of their gods are straight from old gaelic myths (There are more gods for Cimmerians than Crom. Crom just has the biggest dick out of the bunch). Even Conan's name is gaelic in origin. Means "hound" or "wolf". Probably a few other things too, depends on where you are when you ask.

But you don't have to take my word for it. Pick up your copies of Howards stories and cross reference the points of Cimmerian culture. Or hell, just google "cimmerian culture". You'll probably get a hit that way. And feel free to cross reference whatever you find there just to be sure. Vanir and Aesir based on vikings, sure thing. But not Cimmerians.
Well yes. But they are based on the northern cultures, and even the Cimmerians are a little influenced by the whole Viking thing, they arent based entirely on it but within the confines of the Universe there are some similarities actually. As said alot of Cultures within the Conan-verse are based on real world cultures, some are based on more than one creating a bit of a mix there.

But its true that none of the nordic cultures in Conan are really vikings, they are just based on old mythology, mostly germanic/norse. At least i wouldnt call either the Vanir or the Aesir Vikings either, they are just "nordic" for me. But you could argue alot about any given culture as to what influenced them as, as i said, they are a bit of a mix for the most part anyway and arent entirely based on just one single real-world counterpart. Well except maybe the Aquilonians...

In short, we could nerd out here for five pages and probably still end up on small points where we disagree.

Marak Daga

Feb 1, 2012
Am i the only one to be excited? i remember sitting and watching this with my father when i was quite young. Im almost 30 now and im near on giddy waiting for this. The last film was horri-bad(although i made the mistake of seeing it in 3d, i watched it since in 2d which was so much better - no badly ported 3d to sit through).