Science Creates Glass That's Stronger Than Steel

Flishiz

Feb 11, 2009
Way to discover this when rare earth and commodity prices are surging. A neat discovery, all told, but unfortunately it's going to take quite a lot to make this a common product.

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
One word:

[font size=10]SWEET.[/font]

That is all.

[font size=2]There are a lot of interesting points on here I'd like to respond to, but just don't have the time or energy today.[/font]

(*tries to make different size text to emphasise main point and shrink down footnote*)
(*fails*)
(*guess you guys have had trouble with mega-size trolls before or something huh*)

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Gentlemen,

To address the ongoing concerns of those who take personal insult over a throwaway joke in a quick article about something that's notable to this crowd primarily for its connection to Star Trek (and, belatedly, The Elder Scrolls) and who feel that the scientific and journalistic integrity of The Escapist is put at risk every time we treat this sort of weighty subject matter in such a light-handed fashion, I would like, if I may, to quote the great American author and humorist John Hodgman, who said, "Shut up, nerds."

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
Yeah, let's get it back on track.

Like, did they nick the idea for using Palladium from Mega-Lo-Mania
(forgive me father for i have sinned, bringing that back up again ... i just ended up running across a java version online recently... so, yknow)

OH ... By the way ... it may not necessarily be milky-opaque because of the metal content. Think: Various kinds of stained or tinted but still optically "clear" glass are made with various extra elements, often metallic (copper, say) added in, and of course, what do you get when you add a certain proportion - up to 24% - of lead oxide to ordinary workaday not-entirely-clear glass?

Lead crystal. The stuff that diamond-esque fancy wine goblets are made out of. Still entirely good for looking through, but shinier and a bit tougher. (Apparently the refractive index changes, which may be important if you don't get the rest of the optical equasions right, but probably not so much).

Danman1

Mar 27, 2009
Turtleboy1017 said:
But I thought palladium was only used to upgrade your armor and some heavy weapons?
I thought it was a mix between warrior and priest classes.

nitro27

Sep 14, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
On the downside, we still can't have a conversation with our computers. One step at a time, I suppose.
Actually, I think with Dragon Naturally Speaking at the state it is, and speech synthesis at the state it is, and with those "chatbots" we keep seeing, this is really close to being possible, if not already possible.

EDIT:
Corpse XxX said:
hope they make cars out of this stuff, they would be see-through and there would be no such thing as rust..

But i do wonder, that if its a window, that this is also actually a "solid" liquid as normal glass is, in that case it would deterorate as normal glass making it "puncture".. That would not be so awesome..
God dammit! Read this> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_misconceptions#Chemistry

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
SilentHunter7 said:
Andy Chalk said:
It's actually a microalloy with metallic elements like palladium
I guess now we're going to have to begin the tedious and mind-numbing process of probing planets for palladium.
Really, commander?

Probing Uranus....

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
nitro27 said:
Andy Chalk said:
On the downside, we still can't have a conversation with our computers. One step at a time, I suppose.
Actually, I think with Dragon Naturally Speaking at the state it is, and speech synthesis at the state it is, and with those "chatbots" we keep seeing, this is really close to being possible, if not already possible.

EDIT:
Corpse XxX said:
hope they make cars out of this stuff, they would be see-through and there would be no such thing as rust..

But i do wonder, that if its a window, that this is also actually a "solid" liquid as normal glass is, in that case it would deterorate as normal glass making it "puncture".. That would not be so awesome..
God dammit! Read this> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_misconceptions#Chemistry
what was I supposed to get from that? because the only thing I managed to leave with was this... "Thomas Crapper did not invent the flushing toilet, nor does the word crap derive from his name."

Schtimpy

Oct 29, 2013
Andy Chalk said:
"Shut up, nerds."
Ummm, you just blanket insulted your viewer base, one with more nerds than normal. Nerds take being called stupid personal. Sure they may have overreacted, but that doesn't mean you don't owe them an apology. Telling them to shut up was unprofessional.

OT: Hey I'm not a science guy, what are the actual practical applications of this? Everyone's talking about cars and buildings and windows...

Edit: added the word actual