Science!: Please Feed the Bears!

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
Science!: Please Feed the Bears!

How long do you think you could go without food or water?

Read Full Article

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
My god, Indian's will rule the world if they master this. As I was reading I thought this was a hoax but then it says he has been under observation for six days. This is getting crazy!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
He must have eaten or drunk something...this is obvious BS on his behalf...and, I am sure he is going to be found out sooner or later

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
I have my suspicions about that guy. Gotta be a catch somewhere............or he's a zombie.

domicius

Apr 2, 2008
Please let us know when the guy is revealed to be a fraud. Schadenfreude is my one remaining pleasure.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
ThyNameIsMud said:
Man, living years without food would be unbearable for me.
Boo.

I reckon that man is a fraud, someone tried something like this back in the 70s or 80s I think it was. Same excuse about divine intervention, he was faund out to be a fraud. Might have been the pre-Dean Cain series of Ripley's.

The_Healer

Jun 17, 2009
I wish I could do the opposite...

Eat as much as I liked without any effects whatsoever. That would be the life.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
Hmm, nope, 70 years without food is impossible. Simply keeping your body in a state of order requires energy, so even if you were to hibernate throughout your life you still won't last the whole year. However, no one really knows what the mind can push the body to do, so he could very well be adapted to use very little energy.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
70 years? Has he mastered the art of photosynthesis and converting O2 to H2O? What the hell? Cut him open and see how this works! The truth must be known!

Seriously, how is this even possible?

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
He has evolved into a plant and uses photosynthesis now...though that doesn't explain the lack of water.

paragon1

Dec 8, 2008
SnipErlite said:
I have my suspicions about that guy. Gotta be a catch somewhere............or he's a zombie.
Zombie? Don't be silly! He's clearly some form of vampire.

The bear story reminds me of how wolves eventually became dogs. I really hope to see domesticated bears in the future.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
70 years? Never. I won't buy 70 days. We have yet to make devices that run that long without a recharge, even devices with no moving parts like digital clocks, and the human body's an incredibly inefficient machine compared to modern technology. Besides, is the guy room temperature all the time? (I assume they haven't locked him in a room heated to 37C/98.6F.) If he's warmer than room temperature like every other warm-blooded creature on this planet, then he's generating heat. Heat is energy. Energy that's coming from somewhere. The rest of us are getting it from our food. So is he.

As to making our own morphine? Thanks, but no. Damnear got hooked to my own endorphins once, don't need to make my own morphine, too!

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Nonononononononononononononono, etc. He's a fraud. Plainly. They have "surveillance" on him, but these people can't even be trusted alone for seconds. He's allowed free access to the outside with a "roving camera" which, dimes to dollars, likely doesn't follow him into the restroom, or certain other private areas.

He's free to apply (or apply by proxy) for the JREF $1M prize. If he can prove, under controlled experimental conditions, that he can truly go for such an extended period of time without food or drink, he gets US$1,000,000, is a shoe-in for a Nobel Prize, and changes the entire course of humanity.

My money'd be on his failure to even meet the preliminary experimental standards, like the majority of the other applicants. Alternately, he'd make up a thousand excuses for why he couldn't allow the experiment.