Science Renders Breathing Obsolete

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Science Renders Breathing Obsolete

Oxygen can now safely be delivered via syringe or IV.

At the risk of sounding obvious, breathing is kind of important for humans and other animals. Oxygen in the blood powers pretty much every bit of our body, including that oh-so-critical brain. Ergo, not being able to breathe because of a blocked trachea or damaged lungs is a bit of a problem; medical personnel only have so much time to remove the blockage or get the lungs going before a lack of oxygen leads to brain damage and death.

That is, until now. A team led by researchers at Boston Children's Hospital have developed a method to directly inject oxygen into a blood vein, restoring normal blood-oxygen levels "within seconds" while the test animal fails to take so much as a single breath. Introducing pure oxygen to the bloodstream is horrifically painful and even fatal, which is why this oxygen is instead delivered in a liquid solution of million and millions of oxygen/lipid microparticles.

In testing, even when the animal's trachea was completely blocked, the solution was able to keep it alive for 15 minutes without breathing, and reduced the onset of brain damage and cardiac arrest. However, this is not a permanent setup - the fluid that carries the microparticles would eventually overload the blood if used for over half an hour, said project lead Dr. John Kheir.

Still, even if it doesn't mean you can swear off breathing for the rest of your life, it doesn't invalidate the potential lifesaving breakthrough. "This is a short-term oxygen substitute -- a way to safely inject oxygen gas to support patients during a critical few minutes," says Dr. Kheir.

"Eventually, this could be stored in syringes on every code cart in a hospital, ambulance or transport helicopter to help stabilize patients who are having difficulty breathing."

Kheir was motivated to research the idea of injectable oxygen following a 2006 incident, where a little girl in his team's care died before they were able to place her in a heart-lung machine.

"Some of the most convincing experiments were the early ones," he says. "We drew each other's blood, mixed it in a test tube with the microparticles, and watched blue blood turn immediately red, right before our eyes."

Source: Science Daily [http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/06/120627142512.htm]

(Image [http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/life/human-biology/blood.htm])

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Wow, this does sound like an epic breakthrough!
But don't get your hopes up until they've done many years of extremely expensive research though :\

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Fascinating and, assuming they get it through to common use, it will save a lot of lives. Great stuff science guys!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
While I did initially thought this as in going underwater or outerspace without fear of losing oxygen but this sound far more useful and pratical than that!

JoshuaMadoc

Sep 3, 2008
I must say, this could be extremely handy for underwater exploration, or even swimming lessons for poor non-swimmers like me.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
breathing will be obsolete when it can be done without introducing billions of tiny lipid particulates into the blood stream as it stands, it's a nifty trick to stave off oxygen starvation due to mechanical failures and allergic reactions

i approve, neat trick!

although i was hoping for an awesome party trick where i could dare anyone to beat me at holding their breath and win some cash, oh well.

Sampsa

May 8, 2008
Sounds so smart, usefull and plausible that I wonder why it was just until now that this oxygen rich blood injection was invented. Way to go researchers!

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Maybe someone can explain this to me. I've never really been good with how the pigmentation of blood works. There isn't any actual "blue" blood, right? Or is it possible to make blood appear blue in an oxygen-free environment?

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
John Funk said:
"Some of the most convincing experiments were the early ones," he says. "We drew each other's blood, mixed it in a test tube with the microparticles, and watched blue blood turn immediately red, right before our eyes."
Farther than stars said:
Maybe someone can explain this to me. I've never really been good with how the pigmentation of blood works. There isn't any actual "blue" blood, right? Or is it possible to make blood appear blue in an oxygen-free environment?
Yeah... now I'm confused. I learned in school that vein blood was blue, then in college that it wasn't really and people were just mistaken. I've also given blood to the Red Cross, and they pull that from your veins into a vacuum (so no oxygen addition), and it's definitely not blue.

So I looked it up. [http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/2008/02/11/is-blood-ever-blue-science-tea/] If by "blue" you mean "darker red", then it sounds like blood can be blue. But if by "blue" you mean, you know, "blue", then no, that's just the vein color.

I don't know what Kheir is talking about. He's either assuming people think de-oxygenated blood is blue and speaking appropriately, totally unclear about the meaning of color, or he dyed the blood.

Or I've been lied to by the internet.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
This is a pretty awesome breakthrough. It just always pains me a team of clearly intelligent lab-workers and PHD holders invent something that can save thousands of lives in emergency situations, but the world stays focused on things like hilariously overpaid athletes whose main contribution to society is "can kick a ball really, really well".

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Dick Cheney will be happy. His heart stopped beating years ago and now he doesn't even have to draw breath.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Reminds me of that episode of Star Trek where the Doctor had to manually administer oxygen to the body of a guy who's lungs had been removed.

Science: Bringing us closer to Star Trek

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
Rect Pola said:
In 20 years, the breathing goop from The Abyss really going to happen?
I think that stuff already exists this works different
considering I won't be needing them anymore how much can a pair of lungs fetch on the black market?