Science Renders Breathing Obsolete

notimeforlulz

Mar 18, 2011
how long until sporting boards have to take blood tests of athletes minutes before events to make sure they don't have this oxygen/lipid stuff in their system ?

Conn1496

Apr 21, 2011
Good job scientists of the world. You deserve a good, long rest... Too bad you can't take a rest because you've got to do more awesome stuff. Hop to it, cool sciencey people!

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
That is wonderful... and its great for every living thing!... well... except for maybe the test animal... sounds like it kinda got the shitty end of the deal having to prove it.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
An example of what we as a species are truly capable of if we truly want to bother. And all because they didn't want anyone else in similar circumstances to die if they could help it. Now that's the true soul of a doctor at work.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
vxicepickxv said:
Orange Lazarus said:
They've invented LCL. We're one step closer to Evangelion's nightmare future.
LCL must have had some type of special agent which would have been able to directly interface with the lungs. The human body can't withstand water in the lungs, because it can't extract the oxygen.
No it can. It just can't do it quickly. When you accidentally breath water/drink you don't spit it all up some of it stays in the lungs and gets dissipated through the lungs. Now I just have to find that thing I read it on.

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
NOoooo I'm so sad right now.

I wanted to read the actual research article through my university network, but my university's subscription doesn't cover this article.

viranimus said:
That is wonderful... and its great for every living thing!... well... except for maybe the test animal... sounds like it kinda got the shitty end of the deal having to prove it.
The test animal went through some serious discomfort, but we don't know if they were anesthetized or not. If the US is anything like the Netherlands, researchers have to get permission from an Ethical Commission before they're allowed to work with animals. The EC ensures that no pointless or unnecessary tests on animals take place and tries to keep animal suffering during the test to a minimum.
Most animals used for these tests have had a fairly decent life, much better than the animals used for meat.

I'm a bit biased though, as biomedical scientist student.

Sushewakka

Jul 4, 2011
Myeth said:
And no one cares about the animals they 'used' to find this out?
In a word: No.
In more words: They gave their lives for Science. That is to be honored, not shunned.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Does having oxygen in your blood suppress the instinct to breathe?

If not... that's going to be a pretty unpleasant 15 minutes.

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
I'm trying to imagine what it would feel like to hook yourself up to an IV with this stuff and just not breathe for 10 minutes or so.
And I'm a little confused by the 'blue blood' comment. Surely if it was pulled from one of the scientists' veins, it would still be red? There isn't actually any deoxygenated blood in the body, it's just less oxygenated than the other blood right?

surg3n

May 16, 2011
The Escapist - Videogaming journalism's equivalent of The Daily Mail.

FFS guys, breathing is now obsolete because you can inject an oxygen substitute and keep someone alive for 15 minutes. Stop writing these outlandish headlines to lure people in, people who will probably read the article anyway. Stop mimicking retarded tabloid newspaper techniques, we are not idiots, stop treating us like we just got off the special bus.

Durgiun

Dec 25, 2008
It's nice to hear about benefitial scientific breakthroughs, instead of ones that can be used to spy on people or just fuck them over.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Tharwen said:
Does having oxygen in your blood suppress the instinct to breathe?

If not... that's going to be a pretty unpleasant 15 minutes.
It doesn't in most people because that would be a bad thing, the breath reflex is usually triggered by a rise in the blood-Co2 levels. Now with COPD patients the reflex is triggered by O2 levels which means give 'em too much oxygen and they'll simply stop breathing, you can imagine now why that would be a bad thing to have.
In any way, I don't think in a situation where an OxyPen (I like this name so I will use it for now) would be required heaving a pleasant time is your biggest concern.

Elate said:
This.. is actually of a lot of interest to me, having asthma and all that, I haven't had a major attack in years, but having say an epipen of this stuff in case I start to get it really badly would be really comforting if nothing else.
So... when you can't catch your breath you'd really try looking for a vein, then properly puncture it and apply the oxygen solution? I'd personally stick with an autoinjector or inhaler but if you've got the gift go for it.

surg3n said:
The Escapist - Videogaming journalism's equivalent of The Daily Mail.

FFS guys, breathing is now obsolete because you can inject an oxygen substitute and keep someone alive for 15 minutes. Stop writing these outlandish headlines to lure people in, people who will probably read the article anyway. Stop mimicking retarded tabloid newspaper techniques, we are not idiots, stop treating us like we just got off the special bus.
People using sensational headlines to lure in readers? What has the world come to!

DionysusSnoopy

May 9, 2009
Cool now all they need to do is find a way to remove the CO2 and we will never use our lungs again.

More seriously it is an incredible breakthrough for emergency medicine.