Science Suggests We're Living in the Matrix

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Science Suggests We're Living in the Matrix

German physicists have discovered evidence suggesting that we are all merely elements of a complex computer simulation.

I'm sure you all remember The Matrix but on the off-chance that you weren't paying attention or somehow forced yourself to forget the whole thing after watching those awful sequels, it turns out that humanity exists within the confines of a highly-detailed computer simulation created by the machine overlords. And now German physicists have come up with evidence showing that this might actually be happening.

Whoa!

The whole thing is based on the idea that any sufficiently advanced civilization will eventually create a simulation of the universe, which would of course lead to the creation of more such simulations within the original simulation. So it would continue, eventually resulting in a huge number of simulations nested within simulations, making it statistically probable that the universe we inhabit is in fact merely a simulation.

It's a thought experiment, apparently a fairly famous one, but researchers at the University of Bonn say they have evidence that this could actually be the case. As Phys.org [http://phys.org/news/2012-10-real-physicists-method-universe-simulation.html] explains, a simulated universe would have an "underlying lattice construct" that would impose a limit on the amount of energy that could be represented by energy particles. And the University of Bonn team has found evidence that something very much like those limits do actually exist in our universe.

One example of such a limit is found in the Greisen-Zatsepin-Kuzmin (GZK) limit, "an apparent boundary of the energy that cosmic ray particles can have." It's caused by "slowing interactions of cosmic ray protons with the microwave background radiation over long distances," according to Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greisen%E2%80%93Zatsepin%E2%80%93Kuzmin_limit], but the Bonn team says that it also exhibits the same kind of behavior you'd expect to see in a computer simulation.

It may not be proof that we're living in the Matrix, but it is a pretty cool idea. The actual science behind it all is thick and heavy, as demonstrated by the abstract for "Constraints on the Universe as a Numerical Simulation," which explains, "Using the historical development of lattice gauge theory technology as a guide, we assume that our universe is an early numerical simulation with unimproved Wilson fermion discretization and investigate potentially-observable consequences." But if you want to take a crack at it - hey, free your mind, right? - you can download the paper in full from arxiv.org [http://arxiv.org/abs/1210.1847].

Source: Huffington Post [http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/10/11/physicists-may-have-evide_n_1957777.html]

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
I've always thought the whole Observer Effect (specifically relating to quantum physics) was evidence that we were living in a simulation. The fact that things only choose values (i.e. exist in a defined way) when we observe them. So if no-one is looking, things don't exist. Sounds an awful lot like they're saving on processing power to me.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
TimeLord said:
So who's our Neo?
I am, for I am the one.

OT: Nah, can't be, everything doesn't have a dirty greenish filter over it. And if it is a simulation can the overlords please erase all memory of the past 20 years of my life please?

Lectori Salutem

Apr 11, 2011
Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A
IDDQD
greedisgood
it is a good day to die
rosebud
nwcalreadygotone

... Well, damn...

Madea

Jan 8, 2009
Very misleading article title. For shame.

http://www.reddit.com/r/science/comments/11ed9n/yes_we_may_all_be_living_in_the_matrix_say/ I refer people here.

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
Bobic said:
I've always thought the whole Heisenburg Uncertainty Principle was evidence that we were living in a simulation. The fact that things only choose values (i.e. exist in a defined way) when we observe them. So if no-one is looking, things don't exist. Sounds an awful lot like they're saving on processing power to me.
Do you mean the observer effect?

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Lectori Salutem said:
IDDQD
greedisgood
it is a good day to die
rosebud
nwcalreadygotone

... Well, damn...
impulse 101
bewareoblivionisathand
thereisnocowlevel
idkfa

nothing...

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
flarty said:
Bobic said:
I've always thought the whole Heisenburg Uncertainty Principle was evidence that we were living in a simulation. The fact that things only choose values (i.e. exist in a defined way) when we observe them. So if no-one is looking, things don't exist. Sounds an awful lot like they're saving on processing power to me.
Do you mean the observer effect?
Yes, most likely, shall be editing my post now.

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
This seems alot more like philosophy than science, but with a little science (or theory) thrown in. It sounds just like the brain in a jar theory, and one's like it.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
I heard a similar theory that black holes destroy three dimensional objects in it's event horizon but the signature or the data of the three dimensional objects are saved in two dimensions and can be used to recreate a three dimensional hologram within. It's a lot of trek-like talk but here's the Wiki link [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_principle].

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Lectori Salutem said:
IDDQD
greedisgood
it is a good day to die
rosebud
nwcalreadygotone

... Well, damn...
SupahGamuh said:
impulse 101
bewareoblivionisathand
thereisnocowlevel
idkfa

nothing...

power overwheling
corwin of amber
+zool
Square, Triangle, X, Space, Circle

Well, I'm all out of ideas.

bladester1

Feb 5, 2008
Dear God! Its Star Ocean: Til the End of Time all over again!! /vomits. On another point was the ps3 international edition of star ocean: a new hope any better than the 360 version?

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
YES, PROOF OF GOD!!! OK, but really now. Think about it, someone needs too be on the "outside" observing our behavior. Wipe your memories while in the program too see how you truly behave, then send you too the appropriate "afterlife". This might even explain reincarnation (or rebirth), sending us through the "program" until we complete it (ie universe is destroyed).

I do not believe in this theory, But I do believe in God, and if this were true then the Master truly does have a good sense of humor.