Science Suggests We're Living in the Matrix

FrozenCones

Dec 31, 2009
Just told my boss to "dodge this".

I am sending this reply from the back seat of a police car.

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
so wait a minute some one took the time to make a simulation of the universe and this is the best they could come up with? Thats it how the fuck do we edit the code i need to make my self into a well endowed handsome mage/psychic.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Bobic said:
I've always thought the whole Observer Effect (specifically relating to quantum physics) was evidence that we were living in a simulation. The fact that things only choose values (i.e. exist in a defined way) when we observe them. So if no-one is looking, things don't exist. Sounds an awful lot like they're saving on processing power to me.
Yeah, I've thought that for a long time. It's exactly the same thing as cars in old GTAs. I doubt we'll ever have definitive proof, unless a 'Mission Complete' textbox pops up across the universe.

TIME

WHAT IF TIME IS LIKE A DONUT, MAN

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
So, we're at the ass end of Oktoberfest, and this study was done by Germans. I think I'll wait and see what they say once they sober up for a bit ;)

Thurston

Nov 1, 2007
Paraphrase from Robert E. Howard, "If reality is an illusion, I'm an illusion too, so it's all real to me."

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
bladester1 said:
Dear God! Its Star Ocean: Til the End of Time all over again!! /vomits. On another point was the ps3 international edition of star ocean: a new hope any better than the 360 version?
1. REALLY off topic don't ya think?

2. Yes, the PS3 version is infinitely better for many reasons. My favourite is your ability to turn it Japanese and not have to understand the godawful story. Good game though.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Palademon said:
TimeLord said:
So who's our Neo?
It may sound like a boring answer, but probably any religious prohpet that did miracles, since that breaks the rules.
Are you saying that if I were to be debating in favor of Christianity, I could use the prospect of Jesus being Neo to explain miracles? I am going to have so much fun in the R&P forums now.

Aetrion

May 19, 2012
I honestly find this highly unlikely. There is another idea in physics that states that the only thing in the universe that can contain all the information about the universe is the universe itself, so the notion of some kind of supercomputer that simulates our whole universe seems kind of absurd in the face of that, at least if that computer is supposed to sit in a universe that's some kind of facsimile of ours, since it would have to be an enormous machine, as in, bigger than anything that could ever be built using every bit of matter in our universe.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
So, Douglas Adams had it right all along? Quick everyone! 42! Now what's the question?

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
Why would scientists bother recreating me typing in my room, alone, between wanks? Wouldn't they just simulate the important aspects of the world, or are we talking about a simulation to test how the world could have gone differently?

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
so,
ignoring the energy space logic and mathematical problems of running a computer that simulates a universe particle by particle and proceduraly generates all interaction instantaneously and concurrently..
and that this computer is capable of spontaneously generating, destroying and rearranging matter to simulate the universe it inhabits
there's a flaw with this idea, and it's pretty simple:

this is not how you describe a computer, this is how you describe the observable universe
everything is physically linked so it is a system, a system of substance
but it is certainly not a computer simulation because by definition a computer program has no observable substance beyond the logic it is made of

personally i think it's just a bizarre twist of logic that humans fall into that because the observable universe is built on blocks that it must be part of something bigger or else, because we build things from blocks too maby that's just how things are

besides, if some alien or super-sized human has nothing better to do than simulate me farting while i sleep in a mega reality engine then frankly he has more energy and free time than sense

Primero Holodon

Oct 18, 2011
Well, I was planning on relaxing and goofing off on the Internet, but I guess I'll just curl up into a ball of paranoia now.

Feb 2, 2011
Innegativeion said:
I always found the "infinite simulations theory" to be a fat load.

It makes the massive assumption that a race would, for some purpose, rather erase their lives and live in a simulation for eternity. Yeah, that sounds like something ANYONE would do... especially live in a simulation with crime and hatred and war and death. Totally sounds like something someone would do.

I mean, if this was a simulation, wouldn't it be idealized? I love my video games, but I'd never want to live in one. Wouldn't a race advanced enough to create perfect virtual reality be advanced enough to desire actual fulfillment?
What if this is their idea of fulfillment?

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Gets you nothing but an infinite regress.
Pointless mental wankery.
Let's actually investigate this reality and if there are cracks in the "simulation", we'll find them.

Nap_Time

Aug 14, 2012
What if the simulation is a simulation of how people react to discovering that we are being observed.