Science Turns Paraplegic Into Walking Cyborg

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
Anyone else thinking of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. when they see this? I mean hell the suit is priced almost exactly like the game's own one was priced in the first game.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
The quote from his daughter made me 'aw' :)

This is half the reason I'm studying to go into Science. Things like this are awesome.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
This story is kinda late. This is why I like projects aimed at the military. Eventually we all benifit.

This was made in 2005 and declasified in 2007.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
I can relate to what he says. My mum has been in a wheel chair for over a year due to her stroke and it's amazing how people can seemingly ignore wheelchair bound people and bash into them.

I'm pleased for this gentleman.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
This is why I fucking love science people, it works and look at the amazing things it can create! :D

I like how it looks almost natural/a suit of power armor and nice touch with the battery shaped like a backpack and not some bulky monster.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
So. By 2020 they'll probably have an improved version of this that would allow the wearer to carry heavy armor, leap short buildings in a single bound, wield railguns singlehanded, and be out in the field for 24 hours on a charge - and recharge using solar energy for extra longevity.

At that point, "Cyborg army wins the war. The end."

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
Making men walk:
Science 1 : 0 Religion

On a different note, I can see this becoming the next TNT

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
Madara XIII said:
FINALLY Science has done something awesome and in no way harmful towards humanity......*Waits for the Jinx to kick in*
You're kidding, right?

OT: Excellent. Hope that further development allows for improved dexterity and battery life. Would be nice to see an exoskeleton that does not need the assistance of canes or crutches. Wonder if the first steps we're currently taking into direct neural control will allow remoteless exoskeletons. The future is exciting. Hope we can survive long enough to get there.

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
hmm stream line it a bit and try to get it usable without crutches and you would barely notice the exoskeleton

KoalaKid

Apr 15, 2011
this is wonderful. I felt so happy for that man that he got to stand up and walk around.

ReaperzXIII

Jan 3, 2010
Is this the start of a Repo Man like future?

Its good though, it shouldn't take too long before they can streamline it a bit it would be good if we could find a power source like Iron Man so they can walk all day.

Anezay

Apr 1, 2010
Schreck157 said:
A few more years and we'll have the Aperture Long Fall Boots. For science!
Aperture Long Fall Boots + that military robo assist walker = real life Iron Man Mark I's legs.

Darzen

Aug 27, 2009
This is just amazing. With luck science can move forward even more to make it to where crutches aren't needed. Think of how much good will come from this in the future and it may even be able to be made more affordable in the near future so that paraplegics can walk again at a cost similar to a wheelchair...(10 years from now this is gonna be used as a weapon)

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
Alright, so make a full-body version instead of just legs, cover it in armor plating, and you've got power armor. :D