Science Turns Paraplegic Into Walking Cyborg

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
McMullen said:
Madara XIII said:
FINALLY Science has done something awesome and in no way harmful towards humanity......*Waits for the Jinx to kick in*
You're kidding, right?

OT: Excellent. Hope that further development allows for improved dexterity and battery life. Would be nice to see an exoskeleton that does not need the assistance of canes or crutches. Wonder if the first steps we're currently taking into direct neural control will allow remoteless exoskeletons. The future is exciting. Hope we can survive long enough to get there.
No I'm not. Everything has a risk. And if you didn't know I was joking then now you know.

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
vansau said:
Science Turns Paraplegic Into Walking Cyborg

A new exoskeleton system for people with physical disabilities is showing some pretty impressive results when it comes to helping them walk again.

Science is one step closer to creating a commercial device that will help disabled individuals walk under their own power. A new video has surfaced on the Web, showcasing <a href=http://www.argomedtec.com/products.asp>the ReWalk system. The system is currently undergoing clinical testing, but it certainly looks impressive.

The man seen here in the video is Radi Kaiof, the first person to use the suit (which he started testing two years ago). Prior to using the ReWalk, Radi had been confined to a wheelchair for twenty years. Partway through the video, Kaiof explains that the ReWalk doesn't just provide physical convenience; the payoff is emotional, too. "I feel normal, you know? I stand, and I feel tall. It's fantastic for me."

While it's not exactly the most subtle outfit, the ReWalk seems to let people move at what appears to seem like a slightly slow, but regular, walking pace. On top of that, the battery (worn as a backpack) lasts for up to eight hours. There's also a remote that users wear on their wrists to control different types of pre-programmed actions, like sitting or climbing stairs. However, it's currently priced at $150,000, so it seems unlikely that we'll be seeing a lot of people using the system in the streets anytime soon.

Source: Geeks Are Sexy

Number of Paraplegics walking thanks to Science - 1
Number of Paraplegics walking thanks to Primary Competitors - 0

Fuck yeah, Science.

TheEndlessSleep

Sep 1, 2010
This was a triumph...
I'm making a note here:
HUGE SUCESS!

I'm not being funny, but they should do a full body version for Steven Hawking.

With his voice and a robot body he would be the world's first cyborg genius! :)

FarleShadow

Oct 31, 2008
Madara XIII said:
McMullen said:
Madara XIII said:
FINALLY Science has done something awesome and in no way harmful towards humanity......*Waits for the Jinx to kick in*
You're kidding, right?
No I'm not. Everything has a risk. And if you didn't know I was joking then now you know.
*Cough* Antibiotics, nuclear power, MRI/CT scanners, clean water, the internet, washing powder, a decent mars bar icecream (Knew a chemist who did that, I do), moonshots, the internet, safe hookers, etc *Cough*

Damn, my coughs are epic!

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
Excellent. Now that it's been made commercial, hopefully this will lead to more technological advances for this area, making better and cheaper aids for people. Good news as it allows people a 'fresh start' ^^

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
FarleShadow said:
Madara XIII said:
McMullen said:
Madara XIII said:
You're kidding, right?
*Cough* Antibiotics, nuclear power, MRI/CT scanners, clean water, the internet, washing powder, a decent mars bar icecream (Knew a chemist who did that, I do), moonshots, the internet, safe hookers, etc *Cough*

Damn, my coughs are epic!
Wait a minute... *Brain processes* So yoooooou're agreeing? Cause let's face it a Safe hooker is a paradox within itself.

FarleShadow

Oct 31, 2008
Madara XIII said:
Wait a minute... *Brain processes* So yoooooou're agreeing? Cause let's face it a Safe hooker is a paradox within itself.
Whoops. Also dongs. And a Corona.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
A victory for all *Rich disabled people.
*fixed :p

Interesting device, I wonder if they can get the designs simple enough to be mass produced, that'd lower the cost significantly, as i'm assuming each one is hand built for that price.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Sweet.. Science has really done some good here. Now thats just one less person clogging up the isles of wal-mart with scooters that will inevitably run over my feet.

Bout damned time. Moar plz

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
looks pretty cool. hopefully eventually you dont need walking sticks to keep you balanced.

how long do you think till really fat people will use these. you know the people with ''glandular'' issue that ride those little bscooter things.

or better yet how long do you think it will be till they make a home improvements version with hydrolics from a commercial airliner, allowing people to run and jump 10 times faster and higher.

Thunderios

Jun 9, 2010
The Japanese already had stuff like this three years ago, and for only 20k in stead of 150k
http://www.youtube.com/v/OW2pBLQLHj0

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
I would break both of my legs with a pick-axe to get one of those.

So.... Cool...

On a (slight) serious note: Yah! Go science!

In all seriousness, this is brilliant.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
SamuelT said:
Science works, bitches.
Tru dat.

hurricanejbb said:
Incredible. I just hope they can find away to make it more affordable; this is a serious breakthrough.
With all the progress they're making into nano-construction and carbon-tube batteries, it wouldn't surprise me to see in ten years that they've cut the price in half, the weight by three-quarters (and made it form-fitting enough to fit under clothing) and doubled the battery life on top.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Hunter15 said:
im gettibng scared this is gonna turn into Skynet i just know it
You've just encapsulated everything that's wrong with this forum. Probably inadvertently, which makes it all the sadder.

OT: I can't imagine what it must have felt like for this man to be able to stand tall again. This is what weapons-research money should be spent on. Oddly enough, these designs were most likely influenced by military prototypes of exoskeletons. No matter, though. May this man, and the team who developed this device, lead long and happy lives.